Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
My pick for the worst CGI in an otherwise well-made movie goes to Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Clip from Blade 2 looks fine to me :shrug:

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I remember the blade 2 CGI fight being noticeably bad in the cinema but upon revisiting it, it doesn't seem worse than the finale of black panther or ant man 3 or any number of modern blockbusters

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Y'all have forgotten about the Burley Brawl and I don't blame you one bit.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

I miss puppetry and animatronics. They could do so much more with practical effects w/ cgi assistance instead of making everything 100% video game cutscene cgi finales. Half expecting a button prompt on these to tell the audience to stand up and go “popcorn!” To continue

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GateOfD posted:

I miss puppetry and animatronics. They could do so much more with practical effects w/ cgi assistance instead of making everything 100% video game cutscene cgi finales. Half expecting a button prompt on these to tell the audience to stand up and go “popcorn!” To continue

This would also have the advantage of giving the CG something physical to be modeled off of instead of having to generate everything from scratch and simulate all the lighting and physics.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea but then how would you crush your overseas CGI studio into dust for pennies on the dollar?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

So this is the original ending apparently, who knows why they decided on the tooth fall ending https://twitter.com/NebsGoodTakes/status/1695878507950375067?t=BU946WEn0ELXE5opm1V7SA&s=19

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

iirc they screened it without Clooney because they didn't want to leak the cameo rather than because that's what they were planning. No idea how the tooth fits into that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The physics on the tooth fall are kinda bad, but its a good punctuation to Clooney showing up. It's like, Barry undid some of the bad stuff but because he did that, he still changed stuff a bit and still suffers some of the effects of the timeline change.

Anyway it doesn't matter, we'll never see this character again.

Am I correct in remembering that a few months before its premiere the execs thought they had a sure fire hit on their hands with this movie?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
In the history of movies, I don't think there has ever been a big expensive studio film that the execs disowned before release. They always act like it's a surefire winner.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Possibly John Carter? I can't remember.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

josh04 posted:

iirc they screened it without Clooney because they didn't want to leak the cameo rather than because that's what they were planning. No idea how the tooth fits into that.

It’s a callback to when his tooth shoots out of his mouth when he gets lightninged and he glued it back in with super glue

It’s a “””””joke”””””” that everything is broken and poo poo

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ccs posted:

Am I correct in remembering that a few months before its premiere the execs thought they had a sure fire hit on their hands with this movie?

You had people claiming that it was the best super hero movie ever up until it opened. So yeah they thought this was going to make a ton of money.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

CelticPredator posted:

It’s a callback to when his tooth shoots out of his mouth when he gets lightninged and he glued it back in with super glue

It’s a “””””joke”””””” that everything is broken and poo poo

Oh yeah I got that, I mean I don't know why they'd save that back for the main release along with the surprise Clooney cameo but it probably doesn't mean anything.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Codependent Poster posted:

You had people claiming that it was the best super hero movie ever up until it opened. So yeah they thought this was going to make a ton of money.
Ha, there was a big billboard ad for it near me that said "'THE BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE EVER!' some guy on the internet"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

I dont believe a single person really believed it. They were just trying to pump sales. They knew this movie stunk at least 2 years ago

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

josh04 posted:

Oh yeah I got that, I mean I don't know why they'd save that back for the main release along with the surprise Clooney cameo but it probably doesn't mean anything.

They didn’t want to spoil the Clooney cameo. Ending it on wtf is this without the cameo is probably better

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
So the ending is like that Treehouse of Horror episode where Homer ends up in a universe where everyone has snake tongues?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
For some reason that reminds me a lot of the original ending of the much-derided Sam Hamm script for Terry Gilliam's version of Watchmen. The one where Dr. Manhattan kills himself in the past, teleporting our heroes through an otherdimensional portal to a world where superheroes are—gasp—fictional!

It's clearly supposed to be a big "Holy poo poo!" moment on the page, but actually falls super flat. The same instinct driving that creative decision is what I'm feeling with any and all of these Flash endings.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Grendels Dad posted:

That's one I never understood you could've done a great deal of what they showed practically (or without it going fully video game characters) and looked awful even at the time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember reading an interview with a makeup artist on that one--they said that makeup and costuming pulled a bit of a coup by getting in as many actual stuntmen and practical effects in the Burly Brawl as they possibly could.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
The Burly Brawl makes way more sense after watching Speed Racer.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's one I never understood you could've done a great deal of what they showed practically (or without it going fully video game characters) and looked awful even at the time.

they actually do a pretty good job of that for the first couple minutes but then they seemingly hit a point of gently caress it and it switches to 100% CGI and bowling pin sound effects

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
The bts of matrix reloaded was brilliant,hundreds and hundreds of stuntmen all dressed and haircutted to be doubles of hugo weaving,with a few wearing hugo weaving masks for standing in the background.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

I give it credit for being crazily ambitious and its reach exceeding its grasp. Also the music rules.

TIP posted:

they actually do a pretty good job of that for the first couple minutes but then they seemingly hit a point of gently caress it and it switches to 100% CGI and bowling pin sound effects

They do shots with CGI that they couldn't do practically (with a few exceptions) there's definitely a deliberate idea behind it. They were doing concepts for it back in 2000. I doubt 'gently caress it' ever entered the conversation.

GateOfD posted:

Sorry, man, but you're old now. Once you're comparing movie special effects to video games, you're old. Those are the rules.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 28, 2023

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I like how the effects look progressively iffier as the brawl goes on, it's like rendering all those Smiths is pushing the Matrix to its limits :v:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

Sorry, man, but you're old now. Once you're comparing movie special effects to video games, you're old. Those are the rules.

The flash looked like a video game

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
The Flash's FX were...slap-dash

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ccs posted:

The physics on the tooth fall are kinda bad, but its a good punctuation to Clooney showing up. It's like, Barry undid some of the bad stuff but because he did that, he still changed stuff a bit and still suffers some of the effects of the timeline change.

Anyway it doesn't matter, we'll never see this character again.

I like that it actually writes the Flash out and gives it the light horror movie ending that he deserved for his hubris. Alternately, it writes Affleck out. Either way...

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Once you're comparing movie special effects to video games, you're old. Those are the rules.

I generally agree, but that being said,

I'm pretty sure thats the Flash from a hypothetical late-PS2 game

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

What if Ezra Miller's foil, 2023's most loveable dude, was an alternate universe Ezra Miller and then they fought a third Ezra Miller

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Feldegast42 posted:

What if Ezra Miller's foil, 2023's most loveable dude, was an alternate universe Ezra Miller and then they fought a third Ezra Miller

Into the Miller-verse

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's worth noting that they either attempted to put a de-aging pass on Ron Livingston for the Flash or just generally made him look weird. His weird plastic face makes it difficult to make any jokes about breaking him out of pound me in the rear end prison, since it's obviously a horrible 95% complete clone.

See also Orlando Bloom in the Hobbit movies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

I generally agree, but that being said,

I'm pretty sure thats the Flash from a hypothetical late-PS2 game

Okay, I'll allow that one because genuinely holy poo poo what the gently caress.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Every shot is that bad homie. It’s the pinnacle of cgi and why we should stop using it until they unionize.

Viva la practical!!!!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

But Black Dynamite, I sell cgi in the community!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

GateOfD posted:

why can't movies get super speed right.
and showing everything in slow-mo is the boring style of it

This is my favorite use of super speed in any movie, and I'm not doing this to be edgy/Snyder stuff, it's just done extremely well and has a fantastic payoff of the Colonel believing he's about to die when he pulls out his knife

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Snyder did plenty of slo mo super speed too, it's simply too irresistible to avoid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
For all of its many many faults I think Eternals has the best example of non-slowmo super speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WmRyJgmkoo