Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

trevorreznik posted:

This is my favorite use of super speed in any movie, and I'm not doing this to be edgy/Snyder stuff, it's just done extremely well and has a fantastic payoff of the Colonel believing he's about to die when he pulls out his knife

Yeah, it's very visceral. The lingering problem with super-speed heroics is that the acceleration/deceleration would absolutely wreck a regular human. With Faora, she doesn't give a gently caress. She's out to spill blood for her general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

AccountSupervisor posted:

For all of its many many faults I think Eternals has the best example of non-slowmo super speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WmRyJgmkoo

Yeah that fight with Ikaris is great.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

I generally agree, but that being said,

I'm pretty sure thats the Flash from a hypothetical late-PS2 game

This is probably a huge contributor to why the rest of the movie looks so bad. When nearly every shot in the film requires you to replace one of your actors with a photorealistic copy of another actor in the frame, it's going to take a lot of time and money to make it convincing. All the big CGI spectacle stuff is certainly difficult, but the face replacements are absolutely the kind of thing that gets massively underbid at first, and then ends up eating most of the budget.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Slowmo generally looks great with some effort and work behind it and people who don't like slowmo are lame

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

trevorreznik posted:

This is my favorite use of super speed in any movie, and I'm not doing this to be edgy/Snyder stuff, it's just done extremely well and has a fantastic payoff of the Colonel believing he's about to die when he pulls out his knife

I've said it before but this whole sequence is the closest we've gotten to XCOM: the movie and I love it

Rip rookies you're doomed

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Neurolimal posted:

I generally agree, but that being said,

I'm pretty sure thats the Flash from a hypothetical late-PS2 game

nah, it’s just digitally de-aged Tommy Wiseau

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

can't believe they decided the audience wanted 3 Erza Millers on screen when they were wondering what fans wanted

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
They should have threatened to double the number of Ezra Millers in every DC film until they got a successful release.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Burly brawl but it's ezras attacking innocent icelanders

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Robot Style posted:

This is probably a huge contributor to why the rest of the movie looks so bad. When nearly every shot in the film requires you to replace one of your actors with a photorealistic copy of another actor in the frame, it's going to take a lot of time and money to make it convincing. All the big CGI spectacle stuff is certainly difficult, but the face replacements are absolutely the kind of thing that gets massively underbid at first, and then ends up eating most of the budget.

I don't think this should be the case, because doing doubles of actors in the same frame is one of the oldest movie tricks. Of course if they decided to just CGI the double in every shot then that would make sense, but that shouldn't be the way to do it.

trevorreznik posted:

This also serves as a reminder of how much better the Kryptonians looked in MoS than in the Flash.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is Ezra Miller Latino? I was confused as hell when the mom first showed up.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

trevorreznik posted:

i have issues with MoS but one thing I appreciate is the vast scale of destruction and horror a few aliens could create to the town and its surrounding, which gives reason for the existence of superman in that universe. in comparison in the flash they just fight in a desert so all they do is disturb some dunes which lmao

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Captain Jesus posted:

I don't think this should be the case, because doing doubles of actors in the same frame is one of the oldest movie tricks. Of course if they decided to just CGI the double in every shot then that would make sense, but that shouldn't be the way to do it.

Unfortunately, that is how they did it. The other Flash's body was played by Ed Wade:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ah what the hell I had assumed it was a Lindsay Lohan parent trap thing. I assume the vfx added to the budget?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i have issues with MoS but one thing I appreciate is the vast scale of destruction and horror a few aliens could create to the town and its surrounding, which gives reason for the existence of superman in that universe. in comparison in the flash they just fight in a desert so all they do is disturb some dunes which lmao

That's one of the things Twitter is still sad about, so of course it can never happen again.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
"Go inside, it's not safe!" is one of the more underappreciated funny lines in MoS, possibly because it's pretty dark so nobody saw him say it.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

ruddiger posted:

Is Ezra Miller Latino? I was confused as hell when the mom first showed up.

jewish randomly.
in Justice League, upon his first few scenes, he says a bunch of out of nowhere hebrewisms. but i think they kind of forgot that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcKMKg5x_-Y

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 30, 2023

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Incredible clip for playing "spot the reshoot" on right there.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

josh04 posted:

Incredible clip for playing "spot the reshoot" on right there.
My favorite is that they forgot Bruce's widow's peak.They either gave zero fucks or they did it out of spite.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Robot Style posted:

Unfortunately, that is how they did it. The other Flash's body was played by Ed Wade:

Wait a second… why did they need the face-replace at all, when it’s an alt-universe story?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Wait a second… why did they need the face-replace at all, when it’s an alt-universe story?

It’s initially a time travel story.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There is exactly one scene where it matters that they have the same face, in which they have to make excuses for him having different hair.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Athletic Footjob posted:

It’s initially a time travel story.

No; there's just a minor twist that Barry initially thinks it's a time-loop when it's not. Remove that twist and there's no longer any need for face-replacement, re-hiring Michael Shannon, or any of that.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 30, 2023

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Mr. Apollo posted:

My favorite is that they forgot Bruce's widow's peak.They either gave zero fucks or they did it out of spite.

They gave zero fucks. They didn't have Momoa put his contact lenses in when reshooting his Aquaman scenes.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Robot Style posted:

Goon face blindness could have saved them $200 million in VFX.

Seriously though, motion-controlled split screen tech to let one actor play against themself with free camera movement has been around since the 80s (Dead Ringers and BTTF2 both used it), and they were shot on film and composited optically. Doing the split screens digitally should be an order of magnitude easier. Are these big superhero movies done in such a rush that "take the time to have the actor change clothes and wig and shoot the other half of the scene" is more expensive than "do a full CG head replacement on every single frame where both versions of the character are in frame"?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Payndz posted:

Seriously though, motion-controlled split screen tech to let one actor play against themself with free camera movement has been around since the 80s (Dead Ringers and BTTF2 both used it), and they were shot on film and composited optically. Doing the split screens digitally should be an order of magnitude easier. Are these big superhero movies done in such a rush that "take the time to have the actor change clothes and wig and shoot the other half of the scene" is more expensive than "do a full CG head replacement on every single frame where both versions of the character are in frame"?

A good chunk of those shots has the two characters physically interacting with each other, which I'm sure adds another layer of complexity vs just doing two characters talking to one another or whatever.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Robot Style posted:

Instead of replacing Ed Wade with Ezra, they should have replaced Ezra with Ed Wade

Suddenly your multimillion dollar movie is no longer headed by the crime elemental

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Payndz posted:

There's a common idea that CGI is opted for because it's easier and I don't think that's it. I think it's because, bluntly, it means the shoot matters less. More stuff can be fixed after. Suits and executives can change more of the film after the annoying creative types have finished. There's a recurring theme that execus want more control, want to be able to shut out creatives of all kinds more and more often.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Boomerang died and he and Flash only briefly passed by eachother for like 1 sec when Boomer was thwarted by him.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

There's a common idea that CGI is opted for because it's easier and I don't think that's it. I think it's because, bluntly, it means the shoot matters less. More stuff can be fixed after. Suits and executives can change more of the film after the annoying creative types have finished. There's a recurring theme that execus want more control, want to be able to shut out creatives of all kinds more and more often.

This is clearly it, we know it since the recent reveals that studios are trying to get actors' digital likenesses for a song and they're all salivating at the prospect of AI-written content. They can't wait for the age of fully digitized media output.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Snowman_McK posted:

So, in this model, the suits and execs act as the creatives? Or someone still has to provide art direction or whatever for the vfx...right? Maybe that's another reason this looked like such poo poo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

So this is the original ending apparently, who knows why they decided on the tooth fall ending https://twitter.com/NebsGoodTakes/status/1695878507950375067?t=BU946WEn0ELXE5opm1V7SA&s=19

That's actually a way better ending.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

Not just that, but also that things have to be planned out less. Proper preproduction is expensive and time consuming

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

Not just that, but also that things have to be planned out less. Proper preproduction is expensive and time consuming

Making good cinema is expensive and time consuming. The soulless execs only care about big box office hauls so they can get big bonuses, and then bundle those successful movies with other poo poo so they can declare even a $1billion dollar profit a "loss."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

AvesPKS posted:

So, in this model, the suits and execs act as the creatives? Or someone still has to provide art direction or whatever for the vfx...right? Maybe that's another reason this looked like such poo poo.

Execs only see product. Things like lighting and compositing don't matter to them. What they want to do is ship all effect work overseas to be done in the cheapest possible way to create the cheapest product with the biggest return.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
So is the flash like genius level IQ? He could reliably recreate the conditions for granting his super powers, seems like there's a lot you could do with that

Edit: granting super powers to people, that is

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Darko posted:

Execs only see product. Things like lighting and compositing don't matter to them. What they want to do is ship all effect work overseas to be done in the cheapest possible way to create the cheapest product with the biggest return.

But there still needs to be a Roger Corman to put it all together...right? I get the motivation behind reducing costs through shifting everything to (terrible) vfx, it just seems like the underpants gnomes' plan where there's a step missing 1. write movie 2. Vfx 3. ??? 4. release movie. 5. [Don't] Profit

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

WHY BONER NOW posted:

So is the flash like genius level IQ? He could reliably recreate the conditions for granting his super powers, seems like there's a lot you could do with that

Edit: granting super powers to people, that is

i think in this instance, its a 'miracle' or 'destiny' on his person.
anyone else would just die horribly.

i don't buy that the Ezra Miller Barry is that smart at all to do what he did though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Release the flat rear end cut

https://twitter.com/NebsGoodTakes/status/1696982058718122293?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

If you have literally no taste (and remember, taste is not a pre-requisite to be a studio exec) you can absolutely think you're fixing something that you're making worse.

Execs thought they were fixing Justice League, they thought the Wonder Woman trench fight scene was unnecessary. Every ridiculous studio notes story in cinema history starts with a suit looking at something, thinking he sees a problem with it and thinking he can come up with the solution. They were sick of these 'creatives' with their 'ideas' and 'themes' getting their way and getting all the credit. It can't be that hard to come up with a story or a shot or whatever. Let me just...

If you've had a bar manager boss who insists on jumping behind the bar to 'help' while you're busy, you absolutely understand the problem.

Darko posted:

Just on composition, there is a foolproof way to spot AI art, both still images and the more limited video segments: there's no empty space in any of the shots. None. The frame is always crowded. Which makes sense. So much great art is made by doing something sort of standard and then removing something. Think Tarantino not showing the ear being cut off in Reservoir Dogs, or Dali's cruscified Jesus without the cross. The ability to remove, to frame the subject with their absence as much as the border, is basically how you create an image.