Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Honestly, I find it offensive that all the GOP primary folks aside from Trump, Christie and Hutch are all on the “hope Trump dies or goes to jail before the election (DeSantis) or picks me for VP (all the rest)”. It is disgusting.

I recognize that this is a relatively unprecedented scenario in recent times, of a defeated President running in a primary again. Since the party has never repudiated him in any way and passed on the opportunity to impeach and end his career, of course he would be the presumptive nominee. He is essentially the incumbent nominee. The thing I do not get is that people like Haley and Scott could audition for a VP spot without these sham candidacies, but they want to have tickets in the raffle basket for if Trump just happens to kick the bucket or something, maybe they will get lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's not surprising, but it is a little disappointing that Trump is officially sitting out the debate. Yeah, we get Christie and Hutch vs. the people who are running against Trump but also have to defend him, but we could've had that dynamic and Trump making GBS threads all over his own defenders.

Nah he would only have attacked DeSantis and Christie (and MAYBE Hutch).

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So is Ramaswamy entirely self funding and raising no money? So he spends all his time sticking his face in front of any camera or mic around instead of schmoozing donors?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

DeSantis in fifth place in new CNN poll of NH, although he is essentially tied with a gaggle of others:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/20/politics/cnn-poll-new-hampshire/index.html

quote:

Former President Donald Trump holds a sizable lead in the race for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination in New Hampshire, but a close contest for second place has emerged among four candidates seeking to gain traction as an alternative to the front-runner, according to a new CNN/University of New Hampshire poll.

Overall, Trump is the first choice of 39% of likely GOP primary voters in the first-in-the-nation primary state. That lags a bit behind his performance nationally, where Republican primary polling routinely finds Trump with majority support.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who stood out as Trump’s chief rival in the last UNH survey on the New Hampshire race in July, has dropped 13 points since then to 10% support. He’s now running about even against three rising candidates: tech entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy (13%), former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley (12%) and former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (11%). South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott is at 6% support in the poll and former Vice President Mike Pence holds 2%. No other candidate tops 1%.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

I do not like Mr. Vivek, in fact I dislike him more than anyone else on this stage

Good God he is a loud smug rear end in a top hat.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Onomarchus posted:

I'm trying to decide on a TrumpyBear nickname for him, and what I've got so far is Sheev, Sheevek, and Dalek Ramaswamy. Think I'm going for Dalek Ramaswamy for now. Haven't seen most of this debate yet so maybe he'll live up to one of them.

You, I and the entire world know that it's going to be "Swami".

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Oh no, is the Vivek moment already over?

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/meetthepressblog/nikki-haley-rises-second-pair-early-state-gop-polls-rcna118886

quote:

In New Hampshire, according to a USA Today/Boston Globe/Suffolk University poll, Trump gets support from 49% of likely Republican primary voters, Haley gets 19%, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis gets 10%, former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie gets 6%, and entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy and Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., both get 4%.

In South Carolina, meanwhile, a Winthrop University poll has Trump at 51% among Republican voters, Haley at 17%, DeSantis at 12% and Scott at 6%.

Definitely suggestive of an effort by the NoTrumps vote to coalesce around Haley. More notable than Vivek fading away (which was entirely predictable) is Haley shooting past DeSantis.

How deep is his appetite for humiliation?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Saw a recent Vivek interview. He is quite obviously trying to tone down the obnoxiousness and literally turn down the volume of his speaking, but I think it's way too late, his five minute fame bubble has clearly popped.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So the primary debate is tonight and i am curious if any of the canidates change tac after the slaughter last night, last night proved even more social conservative poo poo isnt winning for them. obviously the answer will be no but its interesting.

They will not because their audience is primary voters, not general election voters.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Zotix posted:

I'm the only one
I'm the only one
I'm the only one
I'm the only one
I'm the only one

Every single answer starts with this.

Who? Vivek? Or all of them?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So what is Vivek’s endgame here?

He doesn’t have the same constraints as the other candidates since as I understand it he is basically a self funded campaign and is a billionaire.

As long as he is not indulging in expensive ad buys he can continue his campaign right up until Trump (or anyone else) clinches the nomination.

But why? He is not going to win. He is not going to be the VP pick, no way Trump puts a loudmouth attention whore who is as much of an ambitious narcissistic egomaniac as himself on the ticket and one where the campaign stickers will have to have “Ramaswamy” printed on them.

If the guy is trying to boost profile to become a new conservative media darling a la Joe Rogan or Ben Shapiro, he has probably already done as much in this area as he can with this campaign.

Is he even doing rallies and public events, or just media appearances? I think I read an article from around the first debate where he makes himself available to anyone who will put a camera and mic in front of him, and does a lot of stuff from his home studio where he can be piped in to an interview anywhere.

Does he continue right up until he has a pitiful showing in Iowa and New Hampshire then quits?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Right Wing Media, the topic of your other thread, BiggerBoat, is in my view the primary reason behind the continuing rightward shift. Without it things would not only ratchet in one direction, the GOP would move back towards the center sometimes in response to a loss like in 2008, 2012, 2020 or 2022.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The thing is, no matter where she is actually campaigning, she has to be paranoid to avoid a video clip that will alienate the huge number of “state’s rights heritage not hate” people in her party.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

It seems… strange to me for the Biden campaign to not get on the ballot in NH (understandable given the situation with change in rules making SC first and NH defying those rules) but then try to rely on a write in campaign to make sure they win.

It will look even worse if they somehow do not win.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Retro42 posted:

I was going to go into a way too in depth post about how Haley is only running as a backup to when Trump goes to jail or his brain LITERALLY starts oozing out his ears.

This was true of everyone in the GOP primary except Christie and Hutch. That is why aside from those two no one attacked Trump or said he was a bad president or bad for the country.

Clown president tries fascist power grab after losing election, you are running “against” him but don’t say that any of this was bad or he was bad means that you were always conceding the race to him if he was able to actually run. It means you were only trying to place hold in case he died or went to jail, in any other situation you could only try for his veep or build a little name recognition and hope you didn’t piss off his knuckle draggers who you will need to win the primary and general in the future.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

In the horse race coverage of the primary it’s only occasionally pointed out that Trump is essentially an incumbent in the GOP primary. The fact that the entire party is now a cult of Trump and almost everyone in the GOP accepts that is why you have this very strange race where people are in their running against the guy but simultaneously talking up how great he was, instead of Trump being a losing loser who lost but just won’t go away.

The party, starting with Mitch right after January 6, then with McCarthy going down to kiss the ring, had bought into that Trump shouldn’t go away and they need and want him to stay.

The fact that Trump is an incumbent and is at fifty to sixty percent instead of seventy five to ninety percent is actually not that great IMO. Everyone would think it a huge deal if Biden was only pulling sixty percent of Dems against his challengers.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

Being Diet Trump isn't a bad thing in the primary, you just needed to call out the corruption. Trump was a bad guy but I want to continue his policies. They couldn't even muster that.

This goes against "Trump is God's Chosen and the greatest human and leader who ever lived." Going against that pisses off the base voter who you need to win future primaries and general elections. That's why they couldn't muster it. It did make me wonder why they even bothered though. I would not have thought "in case he dies or is jailed" sweepstakes would have drawn so many contestants.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Budzilla posted:

I don't think that is nowhere near good enough, it being her homestate. At this stage it looks like she is staying in the race so that if anything happens to Trump and he has to quit she will become the nominee by default.

Wasn’t this basically the strategy of everyone in the primary outside of Christie and Hutch? Not a single one of them except those two said anything against Trump or gave any plausible reason why a GOP voter should pick them instead of Trump until way too late.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

It will be interesting to see what kind of numbers Haley can pull in states that are not South Carolina. If she can stay at 20-25 even when Trump is clearly the nominee I would guess that is a real bad sign for him and would indicate there is a significant chunk that will not turn out for him in the general election.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I hope you're right but I don't think this is the case. He gained voters in 2020 despite everyone knowing full well what and who he is.

My point is that I am hoping the fact he is pulling 60 percent in a primary instead of 80-90 is evidence of him having lost some voters instead of gaining them. Obviously most of Haley’s 20-40 percent will still vote for him, but it will not take many of them failing to turn out to lose him swing states.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I have no idea how good or bad McDaniel’s stewardship of RNC funds was, but isn’t her sacking basically scapegoating her for the fact that Trump has made the GOP entirely about himself and recent election results reflect the country doesn’t want to buy what he’s selling?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

blackmet posted:

I'm not as sure about this.

I think he could win. But there was an interesting thing I heard on an Atlantic podcast where they believed a lot of his current strength in polls is because he's too distracted by his court cases to campaign. Nor does he actually have to at this point.

Once he actually starts campaigning and talking and holding rallies, a small but substantial enough amount of people are going to remember "Oh, yeah, this dude SUCKS," and vote accordingly.

It's not like 2017-2020 was some amazing age of enlightenment. It was a bunch of yelling and fighting and being governed by Twitter, capped off with a pandemic. The after effects of it are still being felt. Let's not bring back the disease.

I think maybe the post you were responding to was saying Trump is definitely going to win the GOP primary barring illness or death or jail. It is a little bit hard to tell from the way the post is written.

If they were talking about the general election then yeah, I would totally disagree that Trump is certain to win that, although he has a far better chance at that than he deserves and a far better chance than I would like.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Did Trump call Haley to congratulate her on winning DC? Did he give a gracious concession speech?
:laugh:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

If my quick research is correct, the last incumbent president who was eligible to run for re-election and declined was Coolidge, who had almost a term and a half nearly a century ago. (e: Not Ford, as I initially said - he ran and lost.) It's a very well entrenched standard that a first-term president will run and be nominated again.

I think that in the current day, absent some kind of exceptional and obvious justification, it would be seen as a strong admission of weakness and/or lack of confidence if an incumbent president declined to run again. If I had to guess, other highly-placed Democratic politicians probably do not want Biden to step back any more than Biden wants himself to step back because the uncertainty of what would come next for the whole ticket is scarier than Biden's known weaknesses.

e2: Aw drat, I forgot about Johnson. I think he was clearly just completely defeated by Vietnam, underlined by the fact that he died barely a full presidential term after leaving office.

Johnson was also from a different, pre Fox News Rush LImbaugh era where partisan affiliations in American politics was more fluid. Now massive failures like Johnson’s involvement in Vietnam or Trump’s management of Covid or raising an insurrection mob will only move the needle small amounts and not cause a guaranteed dumpstering in the next election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The idea seems like it is stated from time to time that Americans in general, not just GOP, would not elect a woman. Clinton pretty much disproved that. She won the popular vote and only lost the EC by small margins. Americans will vote for a woman president, it just has to be a different, better candidate than her. Or it could even have been her against a different opponent.