Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

bollig posted:

The first Selzer poll is out:
https://eu.desmoinesregister.com/st...es/70624481007/

And while on the surface it looks good for Trump:

Actually I'm having trouble parsing that quote now

40% of people who are likely to vote in the caucus say they aren't changing their mind. 52% say they could change their mind. If those percentages were evenly distributed among the candidates (I didn't check to see if they had some sort of crosstabs for that question), that would be good news for not Trump, because maybe they'd peel off some of his support. I suspect there is a lot of overlap between the 42% who want Trump first and the 40% who don't think they'll change who they want first, so that's not as good news for the not Trumps.
E:

bollig posted:

Found this in the cross tabs. Lol.

lol

Jethro fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Yiggy posted:

I read that as, 52% of likely caucusgoers are soft decided. Or put another way, seems to me like shy Trump supporters. They could be convinced to vote for someone else, but they probably won't be because there isn't a Trumpier Trump, and they'll rally around whoever is ahead.

Its caucus goers in Iowa though, I think they chose Cruz in '16 and Huckabee in '12? So... Even if they coalesced around a non-Trump its effectively meaningless.

You could be right, but also is there really such a thing as a shy Trump supporter these days?

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Phlegmish posted:

What the hell is going on in the US this year, their primary thing is even more chaotic than usual
The Democrats are trying to work out some of the inequities in the primary system, but they're also doing it during a cycle when they have an incumbent, which is always a little weird.

The Republicans are mostly just coming to grips with their voters saying "we have an incumbent this year" when the non-Trump candidates were desperately trying to say "nuh uh" sometimes without being too mean to Trump. And also they are trying to fix some other issues with the primary system but being "conservative" they also don't want to change anything.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Trazz posted:

Can someone explain how Nikki Haley would be a stronger candidate than Trump? Because I don't see it. I don't think she beats Biden when she loses millions of votes and doesn't gain any.
I also don't think she is, but there are at least some nominal Republicans who haaaaaaate Trump that would come back to the fold if anyone else was the Republican nominee. And she gives cover for the party misogyny. But ultimately I don't think that makes up for the fact that she would have no base.