Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

The Lord of Hats posted:

Not that that was entirely wrong--he's definitely been incredibly harmful in Florida. But he is crumbling so, so hard, and he hasn't even been exposed to a Trump Burn yet. Disney in particular feels like the dumbest fight he could have possibly picked--he'd already polished up his bigot credentials, going after Disney for being woke is a fight that you are never going to win, is attacking a massive state employer for reasons that not that many people actually care about to that degree, and isn't really going to win you anyone.

I think the Disney thing was DeSantis putting all of his chips on becoming the new Evangelical poster boy. Like, sure, the average American likes Disney, but Evangelicals have hated it for decades, so openly picking a fight with Disney after buttering them up with the Don't Say Gay bill was him spiking the football and hoping the Southern Baptist Convention would give him their blessing as this election's Fighter for Christ. Considering Evangelicals all publicly lining up behind Trump won him the candidacy (and eventual presidency) in 2016, it makes sense that you'd try to pull stunts like this to get them on your side.

He just didn't factor in that Evangelicals still really like Trump, for as much performative grumbling they do. Like, sure, you have a few :decorum: Evangelicals that jumped off the Trump Train here and there, but most of them are still as MAGA as they ever were. He didn't get any of the short-term gains he was expecting, so there's nothing offsetting the long-term ramifications, so he's pretty boned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

In retrospect, maybe launching a presidential campaign with no concrete plans other than "hire people to make meme videos catering exclusively to a specific brand of early-20's Twitter cryptofascist" wasn't a very good idea!

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

predicto posted:

Gotta say, watching Desantis fall flat on his fascist face and wallow in failure has been endlessly enjoyable, even though it means we have to deal with even more of Trump’s bullshit

I really want to go back in time and show myself Desantis' current status to myself, like, two and a half years ago. It would save me a lot of stress mulling over dozens of "Desantis: Trump, but competent, and definitely our next President" think pieces that were published back when the right wing was briefly pretending that Trump wasn't still their guy.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Yeah, like don't get me wrong they're old as gently caress and I'm not gonna downplay that, but Biden took a somewhat-nasty fall a few months ago and didn't seem any worse for wear afterwards. Yeah there's always the chance one of them just has a heart attack and keels over, but neither seem as fragile as their political opponents want them to be. I wouldn't call it ridiculous for thinking someone in their 80's is gonna make it at least another year.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

It's very funny to me that DeSantis and his team laser-focused so much on twitter fascists and /pol/ posters. Like did he honestly expect suburban grandmas to respond well to soyjak ownage comics? Like, plunk down the average rural redhat in front of that "whoopsie, that's a sonnenrad" video and they're gonna be offput as hell.

If I had to guess he was trying to lock terminally-online support and then pivot to a broader audience once he had a home-grown meme army like Trump had in 2016, but his utter failure to do so followed by a complete inability to appeal to people outside of his state is funny to me. Like with Christie and Ramaswamy, I know they're not actually running to win. But this was Ronnie's one shot and he clearly had actual intention to be president, and he's stepped on so many rakes along the way that it's looped back to being funny again.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I suspect Ronnie is just a moron and reddit freaks were the most competent idiots he was able to hire.

If I squint, it looks like he tried to follow Trump's footsteps in 2016, but he just colossally hosed it up every time. Come up with a snappy catchphrase (stop woke), appeal to online extremists (whoopsie that's a sonnenrad), get Evangelicals on your side (don't say gay, loving with Disney). None of it has panned out because he has zero charisma.

Of course it's very possible that I'm reading too much into it and he's just flailing wildly and expecting the electorate to roll out the red carpet for him regardless.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

It was painfully obvious that once you removed Ron from the echo-chamber of Florida's media etc. that his poo poo wasn't going to play on the national stage.

I was at a bar and grill the other night (before Iowa) and they played his "Haley and Trump say that parents of trans kids should have a say in their care, Ron DeSantis is the ONLY one protecting our kids from the Radical Trans Agenda by stopping this" commercial just about every break. I can't imagine the people that messaging appeals to. Like, sure, transphobes exist, but they're gonna be pulling the lever for Trump anyway, trying to peel away their votes by assuring them that your guy is the real transphobe just comes across as pathetic.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Ultimately with how much of a charisma-less ghoul his entire campaign has exposed him to be, I'm guessing he's gonna land in a cushy mostly-ceremonial position at the Family Research Council and we never actively hear about him again. Like his attempt to steal the Evangelical vote away from Trump ultimately didn't work, but he showed himself as perfectly willing to use the power of the state to terrorize LGBT children so they'll throw him a salary for the rest of his life.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Gyges posted:

It's also important to remember that a decent chunk of his power came from the illusion of power that the 2022 race gave him. It can't be overstated enough how much Charlie Crist sucks and how incompetent the Florida Democratic Party who keeps propping him up is. If DeSantis was running against an actual opponent the race would have been much closer than against perennial loser and former Republican Charlie Crist.

Getting absolutely murdered in the 2024 primaries from the second he announced has all but completely destroyed his image of strength. Especially with Trump clearly pissed at him and making GBS threads on him from in-state.

Yeah, a big part of DeSantis' appeal to conservatives outside of Florida was the "proof" that his win in 2022 was a sign that the Culture War was alive and well, and people still enthusiastically voted for him after his passage of "controversial" (anti-LGBT) laws and a public fight with Disney. Like, it wasn't the man himself, but the idea that anti-gay and anti-trans bills could be passed and actually be beneficial to the person passing them was a shot in the arm for a bunch of conservative Evangelical types. It was a sign to them that their bigoted causes are now political wins, and they should keep fighting that good fight.

And then he declared he was running, and yeah you can see how that went. He was never the guy, he was just permission for shitheads to accuse gay people of being pedophiles because Christopher Rufo said it will get people on their side (it doesn't).

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Staluigi posted:

Alcoholism is a story of "they were drinking HOW much?" Like a lot of people don't really get it before they witness it up close

I grew up in a Wisconsin family, where both sides have alcohol as a chosen vice, and we were all shocked at the sheer amount of booze my alcoholic aunt was going through once her problem got too bad to hide any longer. Like, even with our standards, it was hosed up. Thankfully she's sober now, because yeesh, it was not something that would have lasted long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Oh you have not heard the many stories of people cheating with people they met in MMO guilds.

That's the WoW model. In FFXIV, the player is gradually invited to join various somewhat-overlapping polycules. It's a different vibe.