Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Cotton had 2020 circled on his calendar, assuming that Hillary was going to win in 2016 and be a relatively unpopular/lame-duck president, leading her to be strongly challenged in 2020. Instead, Trump happened and Cotton's whole gameplan went up in flames.

His advantages is that he's still very young (46), he's in a blood-red state where the only challenge is going to come from the lunatic right and he's well-funded enough to thwart anyone with more than two functioning brain cells from trying to primary him. Cotton is hoping to keep his head down and toe the line between base-demanded Trump worship and whatever comes out of the GOP on the other side of all this.

The worst thing for Cotton would be if Trump wanted him to be VP; even though he's one cholesterol-filled heartbeat away from the presidency, it means hitching himself to the Trump train and wherever that ends up when Cotton has a chance to write his own ticket if he can wait long enough.

It's still entirely possible that the MAGA base won't accept anyone that isn't Trump adjacent or that they can't make their entire meaning for existance, meaning he'll never have gotten his shot, but that means his worse-case scenario is some four-five terms as a US Senator and all of the prestige and profits that come from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They will. They all voted for Nikki Haley in South carolina. The fascist right wing is perfectly happy to vote for minority candidates so long as they are confident those minority candidates will implement fascism reliably.

Nikki Haley hasn't had her name on a ballot since her re-election in 2014. She wouldn't win a statewide office if she ran today. A lot of people who held their nose and voted for their team in a red state back then aren't going to give her the time of day now that masks are fully off. She'd get chewed up in the primary and spat out in a racial slur.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DarklyDreaming posted:

Andre pretty infamously drank like a fish because he had chronic neck pain from having to hunch over to fit in cars and trailers

Andre never had his pituitary gland addressed, which caused his chronic pain and subsequent alcohol abuse, not to mention a career where you travel frequently and fall down a lot.

This still remains required reading on these here internets: https://drunkard.com/10_06_andre_giant/

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
There's also been reports that Trump is still punching down on DeSantis for being the first one to step up and challenge him from the party side, so as long as Trump views DeSantis as a punching bag there's little to no hope for DeSantis on a national stage.

DeSantis' biggest issue is that he couldn't attack Trump without the risk of MAGA coming after him full throttle, but Trump had full reign to go after DeSantis and MAGA loves nothing more than a bully picking on someone weaker than him. Everyone knows that unless you step up and slug the bully in the face they'll go after you until there's nothing left, and once it became clear that DeSantis wasn't gonna stand up to Trump he was done.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I feel like Haley's in a weird place where she can't win a GOP primary against any white male with a pulse (which does thin out the herd quite a bit) but could win a general against most Democrats, but especially Biden. If Trump were to drop dead tomorrow or get kicked off the ballot by the SC, there'd be about 20 people jumping into the race and Haley would lose the primary to either DeSantis or Tom Cotton or some other ghoul in a stiff suit. I just don't think she can overcome the inate racism of the GOP primary electoriate. She could get VP; she was all but screaming pick her for VP in '16 but didn't want to hitch her wagon to what everyone was assuming was a doomed Trump campaign and we all know how that's turned out.

Haley's best case is it's just Trump and her coming close to the convention and some sort of act of God eliminates Trump from the general election. She needs it to be too close to the nomination for anyone else to try and jump in and steal the bid from her, but enough time to try and win over the MAGA crowd and convince them to revert back to their base programming of voting R no matter what.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I don't think you understand the modern (white) right-wing mindset if you believe this. There's a whole cottage industry of 'POC' on YouTube telling conservative and/or alt-right white people exactly what they want to hear, and some of them are very popular. People like that are perfect for the right to latch on to, because it means they are partially shielded from accusations of racism, and it reinforces the narrative of their side being the voice of reason in a world gone woke. Even this black woman agrees with us! Sure, some of the more primitive primary Republicans might instinctively object to having to vote for an Indian woman, but generally they understand the strategic value of having their viewpoints be defended by someone like that.

Haley is not dumb, she herself understands this very well, and that's why she's saying all this poo poo about the Civil War not being about slavery, and the US never having been a racist country. She doesn't actually believe that, she just knows that it will be popular with the base, and that she has a better chance of getting away with it due to not being white. Additionally, she goes by Nikki Haley, the most bog-standard Anglo name imaginable, and she's Christian. She ticks all the right assimilationist boxes to be considered 'one of the good ones'. I honestly don't think her background is a handicap, it might actually be helping her.

1: First, I'm perfectly fine with not understanding the modern right/white-wing mindset tbh. Second, I know there's a whole line of POC grifters/potential true believers out there, the Candace Owens/Diamond and Silk/Jason Whitlock crowd, who get propped up so the GOP can play the racism card in defense mode. The issue is that being "one of the good ones" only saves you so for long. It puts you ahead of the other undesirables of your kin, it might even get you a seat at the table. But it'll never put you at the head of the table, and when the blade starts to fall the "good ones" aren't actual ones and are the next to fall.

2: Not accusing Haley of being dumb. She's done exceptionally well for herself and would/might still be VP in a different world and potentially President if a heartbeat gets skipped. But winning the presidency on her own name is a whole different story and one I think she only achieves if she manages to thread a very narrow needle that's mostly out of her control. She needs that Australian speed skater winning gold situation, where everyone in front of you gets taken out by various means and you're the last one standing.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

smackfu posted:

I would love to know who Desantis voters were. “We want Trump but less crimes and younger?”

There was the push for a "competent Trump", someone who would do and pass all of the things that Trump and Co. wanted/did but had the decency to shut the gently caress up about it. They want the results without the President telling people to drink bleach and all that fun stuff.

As you've seen, there's not enough primary voters to support Diet Trump over the real thing.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Leon Sumbitches posted:

How long do people think she'll remain in the race?

As long as someone's willing to give her money.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Actually, no, the numbers are just distorted by alcoholics pulling the average way up:

Something like half of Americans are either teatotalers or effectively abstinent (only have a glass of wine or champagne at a wedding/holiday dinner).

While reducing your alcohol consumption can only be beneficial for your health and longevity (those "glass of red wine a day" studies have been debunked), I think you are overstating the risks of alcohol consumption. IIRC think chances of getting certain kinds of cancer might rise like 1-3 percentage points or something?

They really needed to have the little dude on the right passed out on the ground at that point.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I don't know what's the better thread title:

2024 GOP Primary: Nikki Haley Humiliation Station

2024 GOP Primary: None of the Above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I wouldn't read too much into Haley's SC numbers. There was a *big* push among local democrats to vote Haley to spite Trump. Like, everyone I know in the local democratic party organization was posting "bet you wonder how I got in this situation" type stuff on Facebook as they displayed their "I voted" stickers. People were begging their church groups to support Haley, the works. It was a genuinely big push.

That said she did win every SC County where the people outnumber the cows (joke, I haven't done the math)

I don't know if we should read too much into South Carolina in general. Trump won the primary and he's going to win the state by a landslide in the general. I'd be surprised if either candidate voluntarily visits the state again.

Now that Haley's funding is gone she'll have to give into reality sooner than later, which means Trump can stop spending what little money he has left on primary campaigning and can focus it onto general/hiding it from his debitors.