Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StumblyWumbly posted:

The folks who shouted "Jews will not replace us" will not vote for a Hindu.

They will. They all voted for Nikki Haley in South carolina. The fascist right wing is perfectly happy to vote for minority candidates so long as they are confident those minority candidates will implement fascism reliably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Relevant Tangent posted:

Nikki Haley looks white and is christian Vivek doesn't and isn't respectively. There are definitely some Republicans who won't bother voting if he's the nominee. Probably not enough to turn a reliably red state purple but maybe enough to turn a purple state blue.

Nikki Haley is absolutely not a "Christian" to those people. There were several state level scandals during her runs for SC governor about various local Republicans calling her racist epithets. I knew one dude who would troll his Republican parents by saying "Nikki Haley is a Muslim" whenever they talked too much Fox News around him; it always shut them up because functionally they believed it.

To MAGA types race and religion and political affiliation are all mixed up together; in the deep south you hear people casually use the word "democrat" to mean "black person", "Christian" to mean "white Republican", etc.

That said, they're happy to vote for any minority so long as they're confident that minority will protect their racist fascism. See: Lindsay Graham, Tim Scott, etc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Seph posted:

Venture capital isn't propping up Tesla or Twitter. Tesla has been profitable enough to sustain itself for years now

that's mostly due to electric vehicle tax credits, though, right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Spiffster posted:

If anything get tall can be a detriment. I’d like to fit in vehicles properly without feeling like the tall man in the bug from the Simpsons. Have to drive an SUV just to have a small amount of head and leg room.

Everything seems to be "normed" to an assumed height of six feet.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I suspect Ronnie is just a moron and reddit freaks were the most competent idiots he was able to hire.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dubar posted:

There is a perfectly good chance that Trump becomes president, but there's basically zero chance that he or his merry band of chucklefucks suddenly become competent enough to undo the country.

It doesn't take brainpower to break things. Rather the reverse.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Crazyweasel posted:

Who knows, I could be wrong, we’ll have to see.

Social media zaps all our brains. The only winning move is not to play.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I wonder how Trump would have responded. Probably something just incomprehensibly stupid.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Haley would be a return to Business Republicanism. She sat on the board of Boeing for a while after bringing a Boeing plant to SC (a right to work, anti-union state).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
There's two ways to interpret iowa: either the Republicans are still all in for Trump, or the only people still Republicans are all in for Trump.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mooseontheloose posted:

I wonder if the Haley people are banking on some unenrolleds to vote Haley. That would be my guess. It never works but hey, maybe this time.

Also, gently caress the Sununu's forever and ever and I say this from deep in my Masshole heart.

I bet you have a 978 area code.

I mean, poo poo, I'm genuinely tempted to cross vote for her against Trump in the SC open primary.

And I hate Haley. Like, there are restaurants I never go to any more because I saw her there once and it put me off the whole place forever.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah I think the deadlines have passed to register in a lot of the state primaries.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

. desantis lost the moderates to haley months ago if not longer.

The funny thing about Haley is that she's basically a capitalist psychopath's dream version of a "can we have a Republican Obama? Or a Comeptent Palin?" Candidate. She's smart, competent, brown, female, and will absolutely stare you straight in the eye and swear on a Bible that the sky has always been green and you're the one spouting crazy "blue sky" nonsense if doing so would get her five extra dollars in her pocket. Just absolutely shameless while also smart enough to not poo poo the bed regularly like Trump does.

The problem is that means she's also smart enough to not be explicitly racist or sexist on a regular basis, or even to take steps like taking down the confederate flag after it's used in a race massacre. Which is not what trump.supporters want. They want a leader who will support right wing terrorism, and Haley is smart enough to know that poo poo screws up the flow of money into her pockets.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, I believe the median Trump supporter is well educated with a higher than average income. You have to be doing fairly well to have the time to watch all that fox news.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Phlegmish posted:

In other news, Haley has received 100% of the Republican primary vote in New Hampshire so far. That is to say, everyone in Dixville Notch voted for her.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68064703

to steal a joke from Reddit, "Stop the Count!"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Phlegmish posted:

I've seen statistics on this in the past, but I don't remember them by heart. If I had to guess, I would say that (white) Trump voters are slightly better off compared to the general electorate, but that they are worse off than the average white voter, which is possible due to race and income being correlated in the United States. As for education, I am almost certain that they are less educated on average, if not generally, then at least (again) compared to the white electorate. With level of education (negatively correlated) being a more reliable indicator than income when it comes to voting for Trump. Could be wrong, but that's what would make the most sense given existing voting patterns.

Let's not guess.

In 2016:

quote:

s compared with most Americans, Trump’s voters are better off. The median household income of a Trump voter so far in the primaries is about $72,000, based on estimates derived from exit polls and Census Bureau data. That’s lower than the $91,000 median for Kasich voters. But it’s well above the national median household income of about $56,000. It’s also higher than the median income for Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders supporters, which is around $61,000 for both.
. . .

Trump voters’ median income exceeded the overall statewide median in all 23 states, sometimes narrowly (as in New Hampshire or Missouri) but sometimes substantially. In Florida, for instance, the median household income for Trump voters was about $70,000, compared with $48,000 for the state as a whole. The differences are usually larger in states with substantial non-white populations, as black and Hispanic voters are overwhelmingly Democratic and tend to have lower incomes. In South Carolina, for example, the median Trump supporter had a household income of $72,000, while the median for Clinton supporters was $39,000.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-mythology-of-trumps-working-class-support/

quote:

Moreover, according to what is arguably the next-best measure of class, household income, Trump supporters didn’t look overwhelmingly “working class” during the primaries. To the contrary, many polls showed that Trump supporters were mostly affluent Republicans. For example, a March 2016 NBC survey that we analyzed showed that only a third of Trump supporters had household incomes at or below the national median of about $50,000. Another third made $50,000 to $100,000, and another third made $100,000 or more and that was true even when we limited the analysis to only non-Hispanic whites. If being working class means being in the bottom half of the income distribution, the vast majority of Trump supporters during the primaries were not working class.

But what about education? Many pundits noticed early on that Trump’s supporters were mostly people without college degrees. There were two problems with this line of reasoning, however. First, not having a college degree isn’t a guarantee that someone belongs in the working class (think Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg). And, second, although more than 70 percent of Trump supporters didn’t have college degrees, when we looked at the NBC polling data, we noticed something the pundits left out: during the primaries, about 70 percent of all Republicans didn’t have college degrees, close to the national average (71 percent according to the 2013 Census). Far from being a magnet for the less educated, Trump seemed to have about as many people without college degrees in his camp as we would expect any successful Republican candidate to have.

Trump voters weren’t majority working class in the general election, either.

What about the general election? A few weeks ago, the American National Election Study — the longest-running election survey in the United States — released its 2016 survey data. And it showed that in November 2016, the Trump coalition looked a lot like it did during the primaries.

Among people who said they voted for Trump in the general election, 35 percent had household incomes under $50,000 per year (the figure was also 35 percent among non-Hispanic whites), almost exactly the percentage in NBC’s March 2016 survey. Trump’s voters weren’t overwhelmingly poor. In the general election, like the primary, about two thirds of Trump supporters came from the better-off half of the economy.

But, again, what about education? Many analysts have argued that the partisan divide between more and less educated people is bigger than ever. During the general election, 69 percent of Trump voters in the election study didn’t have college degrees. Isn’t that evidence that the working class made up most of Trump’s base?

The truth is more complicated: many of the voters without college educations who supported Trump were relatively affluent. The graph below breaks down white non-Hispanic voters by income and education. Among people making under the median household income of $50,000, there was a 15 to 20 percentage-point difference in Trump support between those with a college degree and those without. But the same gap was present — and actually larger — among Americans making more than $50,000 and $100,000 annually.

To look at it another way, among white people without college degrees who voted for Trump, nearly 60 percent were in the top half of the income distribution. In fact, one in five white Trump voters without a college degree had a household income over $100,000.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/06/05/its-time-to-bust-the-myth-most-trump-voters-were-not-working-class/

Trump's base of support is not the "working class." His base of support is affluent, elderly white people. Boomers. When a Trump voter is "uneducated" they're "uneducated" because they're a boomer who had a whole career off of a high-school diploma.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 23, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Budzilla posted:

Has a primary for the challenging party been this narrow so early on? 2016 came to mind but O'Malley quit after Iowa.

Trump is functionally running as the incumbent nominee.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
poo poo how many of us lost a few years to mmo's much less actual addictions

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Uglycat posted:

I still find it near impossible to believe that the GOP would run

There is no GOP to make such a choice. There's just victims of trumps con job, which makes sense because Trump is a better con artist than the people who previously ran the GOP.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I wouldn't read too much into Haley's SC numbers. There was a *big* push among local democrats to vote Haley to spite Trump. Like, everyone I know in the local democratic party organization was posting "bet you wonder how I got in this situation" type stuff on Facebook as they displayed their "I voted" stickers. People were begging their church groups to support Haley, the works. It was a genuinely big push.

That said she did win every SC County where the people outnumber the cows (joke, I haven't done the math)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The remaining Koch brother is a business lolbertarian not a full on Maga rear end in a top hat I believe. Think gorsuch not alito.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think its funny because i think Haley would have a much easier time running against biden because she would probably siphon a bunch of conservative moderates who arnt a fans of biden but are super scared of trump.

Haley would beat Biden in a slam dunk but her victory wouldn't give Republican voters what they truly crave. The Republicans think they can win and get whiskey so they aren't gonna vote for beer.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kchama posted:

I super doubt it. It would guarantee Democratic defeat.

There's this weird "Biden's going to step down and be replaced " thing going around for some reason. On the list of things that will never happen that will never happen the second most, right after Donald Trump suspends his campaign to enter a monastery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

blossommirage posted:

I honestly believe that people that argue this forget that she's a woman. Like not that they think she's not one, but it just doesn't occur to them that the party that wants to ban abortion while claiming a right to life might actually just really really hate women.

Fair point but right wingers are generally fine voting for minority candidates these days so long as they're "one of the good ones" (see: Tim Scott; also Nikki Haley). Haley was quite popular in SC and defeated all right wing challengers handily. Being brown was a bigger hurdle for her than being a woman, there were several incidents of SC politicians referring to her with ethnic slurs.