Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Discendo Vox posted:

Less consolidation has occurred than I expected in the years since I wrote that post, probably due to covid. Nonetheless, commercial development has continued and Seacoast now has a separate office complex there to run its network. With all this said, Seacoast is a politically powerful entity in South Carolina. It gives Scott no real leverage nationally.

Hopeless candidates run all the time to raise their profile on a national level, especially under the GOP where spectacle is everything. It's a good way to get appointed Secretary of Something or Other by the winner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean the plan, at least from my perspective was:

1) Say you are running as a Trump-like (x)
2) Scare other people from running ( )
3) Hope Trump's legal problems prevent him from running ( )
4) Somehow get good media coverage - Incomplete, he did until he didn't
5) Rally the base around you ( )

I know in USPol I mentioned No Labels but my guess is they are getting more coverage because the Republicans are floundering for a national figure at the moment.

Yeah Ron's campaign strategy makes sense on paper. In practice he keeps face-planting on every little thing

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

shimmy shimmy posted:

it's a campaign strategy, the less time he spends in the mind of primary voters the better off he'll be. god forbid someone listens to him speak

This is clearly a joke but there really was a gap between "I'm not Trump but I'm still a Republican" and "So what exactly are your policy goals?" where it actually looked like he was something resembling a frontrunner :v:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Mustang posted:

I saw it coming when I first heard him speak a couple years ago. There's no way someone with such a nasally and whiny voice would ever make it and become president. Not even remotely intimidating, it's honestly stunning how these sorts of goobers keep dominating the GOP.

When party leadership gets a firm majority in a state or major city charisma and likeability stop being major factors for candidates. They stop nominating actual leaders and look for barely sentient rubber stamps instead

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I really want to go back in time and show myself Desantis' current status to myself, like, two and a half years ago. It would save me a lot of stress mulling over dozens of "Desantis: Trump, but competent, and definitely our next President" think pieces that were published back when the right wing was briefly pretending that Trump wasn't still their guy.

There were a lot of "Trump but competent" nightmare candidates hyped up by lib/left thinkpieces between 2018 and now. The truth is "Competent Trump" is an oxymoron, his base doesn't want an electable path to fascism, they want a justification for their nightmarish fascist impulses

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Gyges posted:

I'd say that short guys do have hurdles in some aspects of life. The funny thing is average rear end height dipshits like DeSantis who get bent out of shape about their height. You know all the guys who swear they're six foot even but seem to be 2 inches shorter than the 6 mark on the side of the gas station door.

I'm short and I haven't given a poo poo since my first year of high school

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

mannerup posted:

being able to get drunk off a single tall can instead of 119 beers is a point in favor of Dinklage

Andre pretty infamously drank like a fish because he had chronic neck pain from having to hunch over to fit in cars and trailers

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

skeleton warrior posted:

A bunch of them would just sit out, as they only care about Trump and will just disengage from politics again when he's gone. I have no idea what drives them - his celebrity, his idiocy, or his saying the quiet parts loud, but he clearly has a bunch of voters who only make it out for him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You can't really out-fash Trump because most of his fans don't want that, they want permission. From a legal standpoint that's a distinction without a difference, from a psychological standpoint it's all that matters. Or to put it another way: DeSantis offers a world without Disneyland, while Trump offers a world where you can yell at your neighbors for giving money to Communist Disney but still go to Disneyland whenever you feel like

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
It's absolutely to start his own media empire, but dropping out before Iowa would be giving away the game

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Captain_Maclaine posted:

There is also a good chance he'd go onto a tangent about that property of his that he insists was the site of an important civil war battle despite that being categorically false, to the point where he commissioned his own historical marker for it.

Never forget the fallen at the River of Blood :911:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Edward Mass posted:

The only way I see debates happening between Trump and Haley is if Haley wins the next, like, five primaries.

And even then I feel like he'd only do it if he could stack the deck in some ridiculous and obvious way like make Don Jr the moderator or stack the audience with people who went to the 6th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Quorum posted:

We also had a lot of Trump weirdos though, so who can say! Working elections is so fun in the age of Trump! :shepface:

I assume a non-zero amount of them brandished firearms