Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think Christie is my favourite GOP candidate.

Don’t get me wrong the floor is somewhere around the pits of Tartarus, but like, he’s said some halfway decent things about addiction and being “pro-life” post birth, and as a native son of Texas I will always appreciate his kamikaze strike on Ted Cruz in 16

Wasn't he Trump's lapdog in 2016 to the point of being nicknamed Reek since everyone was watching Game of Thrones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bush didn't create the conservative Supreme Court majority, Nixon did (with an assist from conservative Democrats who blocked Johnson's nomination in his final year) it had been conservative since 1969.

Bush simply continued the trend of replacing more moderate conservatives with far right social conservative Federalist Society picks, but that project wasn't completed under him either (see Obergefell, or Whole Women's Health). Trump finished the project when he replaced Kennedy with Brett Kavanaugh

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It had a majority of justices appointed by a Republican since the 1970's. But, those Republican appointments included people like Souter, Blackmun, and John Paul Stevens (who eventually became liberal bloc leaders on the court). They didn't get a full 5-vote majority of extremely conservative justices until the GWB-era.

That would be Trump then because the Roberts court from the GWB era still upheld Roe and wrote Obergefell since Kennedy joined the liberal bloc on social issues

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

At this point you're just drawing a bullseye around the bulletholes to make your numerology true. All of the conservative courts have written major decisions and the rolling back of liberal victories has been a continuous process, and John Roberts' appointment isn't the best place to draw the line.

Also he was appointed in Bush's second term so it wasn't even the 2000 election that determined that anyway (also the 2000 election itself was decided by...the Rehnquist court installed by Reagan and Bush 1). If it had gone the other way a different Republican could well have won in 2004 and he would have appointed Roberts or someone like him anyway. Or Kerry could have won in 2004 etc

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What does the 20 year thing have to do with how conservative Blackmun is vs. Roberts? I don't think it is a hot take that the Roberts court is the most conservative Supreme Court in modern history and that for a long time being appointed by a Republican (like Stevens, Blackmun, or Souter) did not necessarily equal "very conservative judicial philosophy."

Because your claim was that Bush created the conservative Supreme Court due to the 2000 election on some schedule of a crucial election happening every 20 years which isn't true no matter how you slice it.

The court was conservative before Bush, it got more conservative after Bush, and it was the 2004 election which put him in a position to nominate Roberts anyway. He was just another step on the road, not a turning point, which was your original claim.

If you want to move the goalposts to "Roberts is more conservative than Blackmun" then okay fine I agree with that proposition.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I'll toss up a watch thread

Why are you trying to double their TV ratings

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mustang posted:

I really don't see how Trump is going to win having already lost once to Biden and the GOP consistently underperforming in elections.

Unless uneducated white people really are that unhinged and just can't help themselves to vote for the guy a second time.

In addition to what everyone else said, regular people are struggling as the cost of living exploded and the government has done very little to help. And there's a chunk of Americans who punish the party in power when conditions get bad because there's no other way to register their displeasure in a two-party system.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If the only thing you care about is getting a president with a (D) next to his name, and not his ability to do the job for four years, running an 80-year-old isn't that big a risk because there's only a small window where his death can screw you over. If he dies early enough you can still have a primary, if he dies after the Electoral College votes you have a VP, if he dies after the election but before the EC vote you can (with some coordination) pick someone else (though there is a risk of loving that up and throwing the election to the House), you're really only likely hosed if he dies right before the election, which is pretty unlikely. And even then, a dead candidate has won before! An unnecessary risk to be sure, but a very small one.

The RBG nonsense was just nuts, gambling an old woman wouldn't die any time in the next four years doesn't even compare.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This project 2025 stuff sounds like a conspiracy theory to me because I can't reconcile the hysteria in the press with the lackadaisical attitude of those actually in power.

If the next Republican is going to use the tools of the surveillance and carceral state to establish a dictatorship, why did Democrats reauthorize the P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act under Trump and expand his surveillance powers, that doesn't sound like the actions of people who believe he's a threat to the Republic. If it's because they only realized the danger after Jan 6, why didn't they repeal it when they had full control of they government.

Or, thanks to Tuberville, important military posts are vacant, ready for Trump to fill with cronies if he gets elected. This is an extremely dangerous thing to allow if Trump is planning to establish a military dictatorship, yet they all they do is scold Tuberville a bit and then let him do what he wants instead of fixing the stupid senate rule he is abusing.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 18, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah but it's odd that the people trying to scare us about it don't even act like they believe it when they go back to work.

I guess they could all just be Jar Jar Binks authorizing the clone army, but it doesn't seem worthwhile to worry myself over it if the people in power are going to hand every president the tools to become a dictator anyway. The presidency is going to change parties eventually

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

You mean why aren't they doing the thing they're actually doing?

https://wjla.com/news/nation-world/...mitch-mcconnell

Oh I hadn't heard about that yet, it's about time.

Will be interesting to see if they get a filibuster proof majority on that after they get back from their vacations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bodyholes posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/16/politics/biden-federal-workforce-gop/index.html

They are making moves to try to protect federal workers. The 'lackadaisical attitude' is just your personal media bubble. People are taking this quite seriously.
Executive authority doesn't seem that robust to me, because can't Trump just undo that if he wins? Or congress can overturn it with the Congressional Review Act if they win, like what happened to a bunch of stuff Obama implemented using rulemaking? (Shouldn't they have done something about the CRA?) Or overturned by the right-wing court like so many of Biden's other executive actions which he relied on instead of doing the hard work of passing a law? (A right-wing court he's done nothing about btw).

Doing some easily reversed executive action at the last minute in the final year of his presidency sounds lackadaisical to me, the attempted coup was almost three years ago, plus Trump was apparently being authoritarian for four years and according to Democrats was a Russian plant and they still expanded his domestic spying powers, fully supported the drone program and the power of the executive to carry out assassinations without judicial oversight, they keep pumping more funding to the reactionary police departments that are supposedly going to be Trump's footsoldiers putting down liberal resistance, etc. So idk still seems like they either don't take it seriously themselves or are complicit because I can't reconcile the contradictions between their behavior and the project 2025 conspiracy theory.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 20, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Of course, I'm also old enough to remember the same liberal conspiracy theories about Bush and then when 2008 came along he just quietly shuffled off and let a guy named Barack Obama get inaugurated, so that might be why I'm more skeptical hearing it the second time around, for those who are experiencing it for the first time it's always more exciting.

quote:

HOME>OPINION>AL GORE
Will Bush Cancel The 2008 Election?
HARVEY WASSERMAN
BOB FITRAKIS
Jul 31, 2007

It is time to think about the "unthinkable."

The Bush Administration has both the inclination and the power to cancel the 2008 election.

Should things proceed as they are now, it's hard to imagine any Republican candidate going into the election within striking distance. The potential variations are many, but the graffiti on the wall is clear.

What's also clear is that this administration has a deep, profound and uncompromised contempt for democracy, for the rule of law, and for the US Constitution. When George W. Bush went on the record (twice) as saying he has nothing against dictatorship, as long as he can be dictator, it was a clear and present policy statement.

Who really believes this crew will walk quietly away from power? They have the motivation, the money and the method for doing away with the electoral process altogether. So why wouldn't they?

The groundwork for dismissal of both the legislative and judicial branch has been carefully laid:
Harrowing stuff. The list of "groundwork" for canceling the 2008 elections is a fun read, it's mostly stuff Democrats support now(P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act, holding detainees without trial, torture, imprisoning migrants in the name of border security, etc)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Misunderstood posted:

I don't feel like saying "the Democrats appropriated the equivalent of about 1% of national police funding for explicitly mandated training purposes, alongside resources for crime prevention and the criminal justice system" every time somebody says something like this, so I guess I am just going to have to accept that people are going to keep saying this, and that people are going to keep taking the incorrect conclusion from it that Democrats are just out there buying Abrams tanks for every sheriff in the heartland. This time, I'll bother pointing out that it's a really blatant false equivalence to say Republicans and Democrats are equal on policing issues.

I didn't say "they are equal on policing issues", because that's not the point, the point is whether they are taking the threat of Trump using the police to suspend democracy and suppress resistance seriously, and they are not. Increasing funding to the cops and basically giving up on any real reform is not taking the threat seriously even if Republicans are worse and openly celebrating black bagging BLM protestors in 2020

I mean the cops were just pepper-spraying and attacking people protesting the slaughter in Gaza (at the encouragement of the DNC), doesn't seem like they are doing much to prevent suppression of protests against a hypothetical Trump coup.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Misunderstood posted:

Given that we are talking about, again, about a 1% funding boost, don't you think that's immaterial to the ability of police to carry out Trump's wishes, or to Trump's ability to command them under his limited authority when dealing with local officials? Do you think that the capacity of police to be used as a paramilitary force would be in any way diminished if Biden hadn't passed his dumb "Democrats don't hate cops, honest, please vote for us!" bills?

Do I think +1% funding to cops will make it easier for Trump to use them against resistance to a coup, no but again that is not the point, the point is: is that funding plus-up consistent with a serious attempt to prevent it, and the answer is no.

No offense but you seem to have trouble connecting your arguments to what you want to prove.

Misunderstood posted:

Like, I don't know, there are so so so many motivations in every action that a legislature or executive takes that to expect every one of them to be perfectly aligned with the idea of "keep a future dictator from overthrowing the bureaucratic order" is pretty silly, especially when I imagine the administration's Plan A for not letting Trump remake the federal government in his image is not letting him win an election.

Ok but the presidency will change hands eventually no matter what they do.

So this just gets back to what I said about there being no reason to stay up at night worrying. If Democrats have to fund cops more and give up on police reform in order to win, even if that means Republicans will have the tools to end democracy if Dems lose, then dictatorship is coming either way.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 20, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Misunderstood posted:

This is a bizarre assertion, I'm sorry. Your inability to explain your position in a comprehensible way is not my failing. Your argument is, if I'm not misunderstanding, that holding police funding level does nothing to prevent a strongman from exploiting local police power in enacting his agenda. So, if the federal Democrats were really worried about a second Trump term, what is the action they would have taken regarding police funding - which they do not control - that would have demonstrated that concern?

Pass legislation to reform the police at a federal level, use the DoJ to investigate and imprison cops for all the brutality and civil rights violations committed in 2020 instead of mostly ignoring it, especially defund the police and if necessary completely rebuild them at the state and city level in places where they have control. Literally anything other than allow them to remain white supremacist death squads??

Misunderstood posted:

I think you just want permission to not care if Democrats don't win the election and you're not going to get it from a lot of people, not with this argument.
I don't need permission, I'm just doing some basic reasoning about the claims being made and the incongruous actions of the people promoting the same old conspiracy theories about the other team canceling elections and ushering in 1000 years of liberal/conservative darkness.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 20, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Misunderstood posted:

On some level you are ignoring things that the DOJ has actually done, again, because you are probably mostly reading sources that are laser-focused on ways Dems are "failing the left." Did you even know about the consent decrees?

I'm sure they've done some things, the question once again isn't "have they done anything it all" it's "are their actions commensurate with the danger they are promoting with the project 2025 conspiracy"

Like, if you believe it's a dire end-of-democracy event coming as early as 2025, the usual stuff about how we should be satisfied with incrementalism doesn't apply because there's no time for that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Misunderstood posted:

I would suggest that in extending the PATRIOT act provisions Democrats were mostly acting out of concern for... you know, national security? Just because it's CW among a certain percentage of the population that it's all just bullshit made up to oppress us, most of the people passing these laws genuinely do believe they are necessary to prevent terrorism, or at least that voters perceive them as such and would punish them for opposing them. "The President is dangerous and doesn't care about the country or Constitution" is not really a problem where the proper response is "eliminate our intelligence capabilities so he can't use them
Oh man I missed this, but this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. If the next president might be a dangerous dictator, of course you don't want to hand him the capabilities to spy on everyone. Even if they set it up with the best of intentions, it's been used in illegal ways since the beginning.

I mean, what's more important, protecting civil liberties against the guy who is supposedly going to become a dictator, or wiretapping mosques...

E:

skeleton warrior posted:

So the answer is “Democrats should do incredibly unpopular things that will destroy them in elections like cutting police funding because that will prevent Trump abuses when he inevitably gets re-elected due to Democrats doing incredibly unpopular things?” That seems terribly stupid, based on some weird idea that if we cut national funding for police budgets by 5 or 10 percent that will somehow make a coup inevitably fail

Democrats have to thread the needle between “secure the government from being able to be easily couped” and “prevent Trump from walking back into office with a Senate and Congressional majority” and you are being weirdly obsessed with the idea that both of these things should be ideologically consistent
Well for one thing, Trump might win anyway so in that case if he wins yes it would be better if they had done as much as they could to protect democracy from him.
If it's so dire that they can't do much to secure the government in the event of a Republican victory or else Republicans will win faster then, once again, why worry. A Republican will win the presidency eventually, it's just a matter of time.

It just does not make a lot of sense to me personally to worry myself over this hypothetical dictatorship reality

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 20, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

Except a) you’re literally the only person in this argument stating that a cut to federal police funding is making a decisive difference in whether a coup succeeds or not, and you’re making that argument specifically to downplay the idea that Democrats are serious about preventing a coup; and b) you’ve been provided plenty of evidence of other ways that the Biden administration is attempting to fight a potential future coup and you are hand waving that away with “but if they don’t cut federal police funding they can’t possibly succeed so I refuse to believe they’re taking it seriously”

No I am not stating that "a cut to federal police funding is making a decisive difference", I listed several ways that their actions contradict their claims to believe that Trump will establish a dictatorship, giving up on police reform is only one, and the list wasn't even exhaustive. You're hyperfocusing on one example and trying to knock it down, as though there aren't a bunch of other problems. You're missing the forest for the trees.

And I already explained why I don't think the stuff you guys brought up is proof they're taking it seriously. One is executive action that can be undone by the next president just as easily, the other isn't even something they've done yet...they advanced a rule in a senate committee, no date for a vote or indication they will get enough Republican support to overcome a filibuster, and even if they do it only fixes one issue.

The disconnect between the hysteria that a coup is coming next year, and the same old scolding that I should appreciate that Democrats aren't doing literally nothing is so jarring to me. This isn't a situation where incrementalism is enough, you're telling me the next time Republicans win the White House they're going to coup the government and end democracy, well okay if I accept that then they should be all hands on deck putting checks on the executive and formalizing legal protections for civil rights and opposition. There's no partial credit for doing 10% of stopping a coup.

Bodyholes posted:

Democrats' actions should not be taken as a good gauge for how dangerous conservative plans are. Just a sign of how feckless and weak they are.

Republicans had the plan to take over state legislatures, gerrymander to lock in their majorities, then continue winning states and locking them down until they had enough for a Constitutional Convention.

There were plenty states dems controlled in 2010 that could've taken measures--passing independent redistricting commissions, constitutionally enshrining separation of powers. Instead they sat back, did nothing, and got rolled. We are still dealing with this issue.

Yeah it is always possible that conservatives are planning a dictatorship and the opposition party is unable/unwilling to use their time in power to prevent it, but I wouldn't worry myself over that. Democrats can't win every presidential election for the rest of our lives, so if you're right that never losing is the Dems' only hope, then it's like worrying there's an asteroid on its way to hit earth. It's coming no matter how much or little I worry.

But I admit, I'm also kinda jaded having been around the block enough times to hear it every election: one team says the other team will become dictators if they win. Republicans said it about Obama, Democrats said it about W, Republicans said it about Clinton, Democratic-Republicans said it about Federalists. Adams is a monarchist who will crown himself king. Jefferson is an infidel who will ban the Bible. It's exciting the first time, but after several elections you start to see the manipulation for what it is and it becomes old hat.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

lol, one side put forward legal arguments that states could ignore elections in naming a president, and when that didn't work they staged a coup, and now they're attempting to elect the coup leader who is calling his enemies vermin who need to be eliminated, but both sides bad so why bother choosing?
I did not say "both sides are bad so why bother choosing"

I was very specific that fears of Trump ending democracy and ushering in "a second/forever term" are...unlikely and gave my reasons why.

That is a very different conversation from whether Trump is a bad president or whether he tried to pull a Bush and steal a single election or whether Democrats are or are not just as bad etc

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Riptor posted:

I don't see how it hurts and to the extent that more people know his name outside of California I do think it helps

Furthermore it's probably better than literally anything else he does with his time.

Every minute on Fox News squabbling with another who-cares governor is a minute he isn't asking cops to please beat up more homeless people for fouling the view on his drive to work.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If I were her I'd stay in until Trump gets 50% of the delegates just in case he dies or something.

There's no chance of him offering her anything to drop out because she's no threat, so the only reason for her to drop out and endorse him is if she decides to pivot to a Senate run or something but that'd be a long shot anyway because she's been out of politics for so long except for this losing run.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Either way, the odds of Trump dropping dead in the next 5 months are incredibly low.
Yeah but it's an incredibly low chance to become president, which is more of a chance than she will ever have if she quits now

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why are the Kochs even spending money to defeat Trump they basically agree with him on everything?

Do they just think he's going to lose or would they actually prefer Biden

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Agreed. Winner takes all is one thing, but I never quite understood why the US uses electoral districts (mostly corresponding to states) for straightforward presidential elections to begin with. There's absolutely no reason, and it just leads to these absurd outcomes where someone can be elected president despite trailing his competitor by millions of votes.
Historical reasons, slavery mainly. The slave states feared a popularly elected president because the votes of free blacks in the North would count, while the massive Southern slave populations would not. By apportioning electoral votes to the states they could inflate the Southern
vote by (as it turned out) 3/5ths of the number of slaves.

It has persisted because the constitution was deliberately made quite difficult to change, and states that benefit from the EC system have their influence over constitutional amendments increased as well, also it almost never matters so people against the system don't have much motivation for the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ahhh right tariffs that makes sense