Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The millions of Americans who have been asking "Will Francis Suarez enter the presidential race?" can finally breathe a sigh of relief:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1669094421416034304

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The support he lost from the combined Suarez and Burgum announcements canceled it out :shrug:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Desantis fired some guy for putting Nazi imagery in a campaign video

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/ron-desantis-fires-staffer-retweeted-video-nazi-imagery-rcna96285

quote:

“Nate Hochman is no longer with the campaign,” a campaign official said. “And we will not be commenting on him further.”

The official did not say whether the retweet factored in the decision, which was first reported by Semafor.

Hochman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Hochman shared a video from the Twitter account @desantiscams that criticized former President Donald Trump and concluded with an image of DeSantis standing in front of a sonnenrad — a symbol co-opted by the Nazis and promoted in modern times by fascist sympathizers — as soldiers marched by.

Republican strategist Luke Thompson, a regular critic of the DeSantis campaign on Twitter, first noted the video. The account has shared similarly styled pro-DeSantis videos since it launched in March.

https://twitter.com/ltthompso/status/1683126870106144769

It's weird how this happens when all of your staffers are groypers from the Yale College Republican club

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

Also it bears reminding everyone that DeSantis literally covered up COVID death numbers including imprisoning people who tried to accurately report them, so is that 89,000 number even real?

I mean Desantis is bad on covid because he's a leader in making vaccines a culture war issue. He's (partly) responsible for a large fraction of 2021 and later covid deaths even in blue states, in a way that several other Republican governors who also did nothing to mitigate covid aren't.

I don't know how much there is with the dashboard stuff, Desantis clearly behaved badly but Rebekah Jones is a grifter and it's not like Florida's reported covid deaths are particularly low.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I mean Desantis' staffers are all groypers and his campaign is at war with the five black Republicans in congress over whether slavery was actually good. It's not mysterious why he's trying to run against Harris.

(not that it'll work)

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Here's another loser alienating his entire voting base.

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1688966597388464128

Regardless of how posters feel about the war, the Republicans he needs to convince are not going to be swayed by complimenting Biden's job on literally anything.

Chris Christie's base is in the ~1/3 of poll respondents who think the US should do more to support Ukraine. If he were doing nothing to differentiate himself from the front runners he would be going nowhere even more than he already is, the reason Desantis' polling numbers have been dropping is that he's losing voters who want to vote against Trump.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
The deadline is tomorrow and I think some of the candidates are claiming they qualified regardless of whether they actually did.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

I feel like Cotton hasn't really done anything in years. If he had any kind of controversy or evil speech about something I have completely forgotten it.

There's always his Washington Post New York Times op-ed about how Trump should use the military against the George Floyd protests, published on the anniversary of Tiananmen Square

edit: of course it was the New York Times :bang:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/opinion/tom-cotton-protests-military.html

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
The list of debate qualifiers is out:

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/1693817909733122248

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

That's an odd choice for Nikki Haley to say Biden is making Americans more prosperous

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

No doubt. And 31% is still way too low but, like you said, it won't matter because if he's convicted it'll be because the judge was biased and unfair or key evidence wasn't allowed or a jury had a democrat on it or it was in NYC/DC or what about Hunter Biden or...

"Poor Donald Trump was railroaded" basically

The thing is elections are close and if 31% of Trump voters didn't vote for him he'd be losing states like Mississippi. Most of that 31% are lying, but not many have to be telling the truth for it to matter.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Wonder what he'd do if he dropped out. Endorsing Trump would be incredibly humiliating at this point, but he's just spent half a year calling Haley a treasonous China-loving bitch, so that'd be a hard sell too.

I mean when you put it that way obviously he'll endorse Trump

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

smackfu posted:

I would love to know who Desantis voters were. “We want Trump but less crimes and younger?”

I think Desantis supporters were anti Trump, and a big part of why his campaign went nowhere was that he tried to do "Trumpism without Trump" (very popular with Claremont Institute nazis but not actual voters) when his supporters were anti Trump.

Not that he would have won if he were anti Trump.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1765169549547053313

Unlikely that this exit poll number means anything, but if Dean Phillips got a third of the vote and 74% of his supporters said they might not vote for Biden in November it would be the only thing politics reporters talked about for weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I don't think you can infer anything about the general election from Haley beating the polls, the main thing is if Dean Phillips were beating the polls in every state and his voters were saying they wouldn't necessarily support Biden it would be the only thing politics journalists ever talked about.