Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That's a pretty good "terminate smile.exe" right as he walks away :mitt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

i say swears online posted:

nixon was veep during suez, did he disagree with eisenhower at the time?

Just a random Atlantic article, but

quote:

Britain and France eventually did withdraw from Egypt in response to mounting U.S. pressure. But even after the ceasefire, tensions between the United States and Britain continued to simmer, as evidenced by Eisenhower’s November 1956 snub of Eden and French Prime Minister Guy Mollet after having said he would meet with them. A month later, Vice President Richard Nixon irked Eden even more when he explicitly linked the Suez crisis to colonialism. “For the first time in history,” Nixon stated, “we have shown independence of Anglo-French policies towards Asia and Africa which seemed to us to reflect the colonial tradition. This declaration of independence has had an electrifying effect throughout the world.” Eden’s memoir sharply refuted this claim, insisting that “if the United States had to defend her treaty rights in the Panama Canal, she would not regard such action as colonialism.”

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That's not what numerology is, lol. That is just the linear measure of time.

The linear measure of time part is factually true, but your assertion was that every N years an election takes on an importance that is not apparent at the time, which is magical thinking. (And your own thesis disproves itself handily since Trump was 16 years from Bush II's first term) Insofar as I am aware, anyway, if there are studies out there that discuss election cycles and even 20-year-intervals, I'm sure this thread would love to read them!

Also if you haven't read :umberto:'s Foucault's Pendulum, you should, it gives you insights into things like kiosk booths and car engines. :allears:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Pence was asked about Obamacare, and now he's rambling on about a federal death penalty for spree shooters? "Does that mean Obamacare is here to stay?" *laughtrack*

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The old white dude whose name escapes me just said "in 2008, under Obama", this is really bringing back the old hits isn't it

Pro-tip old white dude: Obama was sworn in in 2009

Oh Jesus Christ, Ronnie footage :eng99:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

[...] I think he's gotten addicted to the attention and will keep going as long as it's fun and he gets to be abusive in public without consequences.

It's an immortality moral story cliche, but sort of applies here: If you're a billionaire looking for novel experiences, running for POTUS even just to lose is probably pretty high on the novelty factor. And it's probably cheaper than trying to larp the Hostel movies or whatever it is other billionaires do.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

lmao, their whining almost makes me wish for this

Careful, we are their vassal state now

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Leon Sumbitches posted:

How long do people think she'll remain in the race?

How soon do you think Carly Fiorina can show up for Haley to drop her through a vaudeville floor trap? That's been The Sign before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

World of Warcraft is the most effective form of birth control and almost certainly responsible for the massive decline in teen pregnancies starting in the early 2000's.

According to the DSM, an addiction has to actually have a negative impact on your life to be considered an addiction. Technically, World of Warcraft is a medical contraceptive device.

What about joint and back injuries, obesity risk, destroying kidneys with energy drinks and mt. dew

You're not getting away with it this time, big MMO :argh:

(I have never played an MMO :ohdear:)