Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I mean, I assume that vibe is what Pence supporters are wanting

Also, is he really trying or is this a pilgrimage on his knees to getting his old job back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
people make cracks about states like Ohio or Jersey but goddam, becoming more like Florida sounds downright ominous, even from a fellow lovely red state

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed. As a resident I can tell you that the state (or at least where I live) is getting dumber, meaner and less affordable but, in conservative ideology, is held up as a shining beacon of Freedom because they stayed open for business during Covid and only 89,000 people died.

The worst thing happening here, that's especially related to the free market, is that pretty soon it will become impossible to insure a home, and not just on the coast. Which is gonna get real weird legally when mortgage owners are required by law to have it but no company in the country will offer it. I'm wondering what happens then? My understanding is that the bank just buys it somewhere for you but that doesn't sound too great and I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it will be just a tad expensive.

DeSantis is doing jack poo poo about it (too busy fighting Disney and schools) and I'm not sure what can be done short of some kind of non profit/public option model but that's a non starter for the free market conservatives here.

It's nice to know that floridians notice that. We go over to Pensacola area a lot both for work and to just chill in some non-swamp beaches. And it's crazy how people just... become floridian when you get past Biloxi and Mobile. I don't like making judgements based on what state someone is in, but something is rotten in the state of Florida. Different from the standard deep south vibes. I guess there's a reason it has given us a lot of our cartooniest GOP politicians in recent years. And I'm counting Trump there, Queens by birth but floridian at heart. Mean and dumb is a good descriptor.

If we must elect a president from this gator-infested hell we call the gulf coast, I nominate the mouldering bones of Huey Long, last decent guy we produced.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dear lord, don’t get me wrong Donald Trump is a disgusting human being, but how do these C-3PO dorks think they can take him on

E: like Ron DeSantis is going to give me a 40-page essay about classical conservatism in these United States. Then Donnie will declare his love of mchamberder and mug for the camera and clean house by 100 million votes

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 9, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think Christie is my favourite GOP candidate.

Don’t get me wrong the floor is somewhere around the pits of Tartarus, but like, he’s said some halfway decent things about addiction and being “pro-life” post birth, and as a native son of Texas I will always appreciate his kamikaze strike on Ted Cruz in 16

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

i say swears online posted:

that was marco rubio, senator from florida

Christ, I gotta lay off the weed

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BiggerBoat posted:

Republicans have appointed 2/3 of the current Supreme Court in spite of only winning the popular vote twice in the last 35 years.

Also, as of July 18, 2023, of the 179 Courts of Appeals judges, 91 were appointed by Republican presidents, compared to 81 by Democratic presidents.

They also hosed Merrick Garland out of a hearing by just pretending he didn't loving exist.

So what I'm saying is that the higher courts don't represent the overwhelming will of voters.

Republican presidents have been in office for most of my years on this earth and only won the popular vote once since I left the womb

Sometimes I think about this

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cattail Prophet posted:

Your problem is that you're thinking too old. There's a window of ~3 years between the end of Clinton and the beginning of Bush 2 where their statement is true.

You got it I am a baby by goon standards :v:

I’d also like a real roster for the debate. I’m down to tune in for a clown car but without Donnie it might be just a field of Please Claps

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jethro posted:

You could be right, but also is there really such a thing as a shy Trump supporter these days?

Yes, at least here in blue city/red state land. It’s basically everyone who won’t tell you who they support, is “independent”, thinks the street art of pikachu saying Black Lives Matter is a social menace and warning of imminent attack by nefarious unnamed gangs, wants to see the debates before they can comment, etc

My racial power as a white guy is the mask comes off as soon as no one who doesn’t look like me is around and they’re “considering” Trump because *racist screed*

So honestly guess it depends if you mean public or privately shy

This isn’t new either. In high school the literal Klan kids would feel safe ranting at me because I was white, meanwhile I’m here like “bro you know my grandma spent four years in Ravensbrück and I’ve got a yarmulke under my baseball cap right?” Except too afraid to actually say it

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 21, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Endless election season is hell even from afar in forgone conclusion states, I do not envy living in one of the early ones that get descended upon

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How many people ever heard Lincoln speak vs seeing photos and hearing about him suplexing dudes because he was giant though?

This even more than 2016 is kinda letting me learn why people loved Trump. He’s just as evil and unrelatable as this crew but drat if he isn’t entertaining. Hopefully the media doesn’t start giving him his beloved screen time bc there is a part of my lizard brain that wants to see him descend from a golden platform at the next debate and start his special style of owning all these goobers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Haley’s running a really aggressive campaign apparently. We got some ads for her before going on vacation and this nobody fuckin runs ads in Louisiana

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
He's going to lose to Sleepy Joe with nearly or probably exactly the same states as 2020, with the same claims of fraud, and yell about it until one of them dies. If Donnie goes first he'll go cackling at how everyone, especially his enemies, thinks he's special.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Most of the also-rans are betting on him landing in prisoner sooner rather than later and so need to keep the act up until that point, except Christie who seems to just want to throw molotovs at Trump.

In which case he runs as evil alt universe Debs from prison and gets we get Biden 51%,Trump 40%, Suit Loser 8% (no electoral votes)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I can’t sleep and it’s past 7am so all I can think of is desperately wishing we got a debate berlfore this kicks off where a full hologram Donald Trump descends onto the stage in a golden platform and starts slinging AI-generated Donald responses

Foot fetish Ron

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
As a card-carrying shorter than DeSantis shorty, lol at dudes who need platform shoes to feel like a man, but lol even more at tall dudes who still need to exaggerate their height. Lookin at you Donald.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Spiffster posted:

If anything get tall can be a detriment. I’d like to fit in vehicles properly without feeling like the tall man in the bug from the Simpsons. Have to drive an SUV just to have a small amount of head and leg room.

I’ve heard this a lot but y’all giants do realize that short people also have to deal with this? I’d like to be able to use the top shelves of our kitchen without having to lift my wife up to reach it. I’d like to work in kitchens where I can reach everything in my assigned station. Everything on earth is designed for “average height male”

Also js tall is almost universally seen as good and sexy whereas short is almost universally seen as bad and weak.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Trump refusing all the debates while being the extremely obvious winner is kinda hilarious. I hate myself for handing it to him but still

These dorks are going to have it out for hours, meanwhile Trump will coast to victory on

1. More money for Donald
2. Ladies show Donald your boobs
3. Donald Trump is the strongest most masculine man to live
4. Seriously Donald needs more money

All while never bothering

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think an empty podium vs DeSantis would still somehow end with him being destroyed and ended, except in the great state of Florida ofc

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I admire the one guy who marched out into the midwestern frost (still colder here :smug:) to cast the one vote for Hutchinson

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I mean, he’s right. Telling the truth about the current front runner doesn’t play well to Iowa republicans. Or any other republicans. They believe in mirror universe Trump more than they believe in Jesus.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

daslog posted:

It's Desantis actually.

Well don't leave everyone hanging, is he pro-surrender or pro-strength?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
''as your president, we're..."

I'm just flabbergasted he's adopted the royal we before he even got his party's nomination.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

smackfu posted:

The NH primary is in two days, I think we can just wait for results at this point.

Haley probably has a decent fundraising pool of “not Trump” so she can likely stay in a bit.

can wait sure

in the mean time, I'm not here for realism, I just want to giggle at which large, robotic Florida boy finally challenges our beloved president

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

If I'm summarizing correctly, reasonably wealthy in economic terms (although not as wealthy as supporters of other Republican candidates), not so much when it comes to cultural capital, much like Trump himself. That's about what I expected, them displaying a 'working class' sense of aesthetics and values, while not necessarily struggling financially, in fact even less than I thought.

I'm often reminded of that image of Trump proudly hosting a White House dinner consisting mostly of McDonald's.

I only have anecdotes not statistics-

but my experience is that the put-upon blue collar Trump supporter exists. I have worked and lived with them. It's been more night stocking at the local grocery store than cool jobs like hard-bitten coal miner, but still.

The majority though, that's people living off retirement pensions in like Jersey or Harahan if they're pro-suburb, more like Hudson Yards if they prefer Trump-style rich, driving (MAGA-bumper-sticker-laden) trucks that cost more than most americans make in a year and blitzing past children who have to dodge out of the way. That's the real Trump base. The gently caress-you-got-mines not the coal mines.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When I was at my worst I could down a handle of vodka in like 1.5 days. And I’m 5’6 140lbs. If you’re not a booze fiend you really can’t imagine it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kith posted:

I had a lot of different substances forced on me as a child and every now and then addiction cravings randomly surface and gently caress up my life for a few days. I don't know any of what I had and I don't ever want to find out because I'm terrified that I'll try to track some down in a moment of weakness. Addiction is scary as hell and I don't wish it on anyone.

To bring it back to 2024, I’m not gonna say I won’t crack an ice cold Coke Zero and toast when poisons of choice catch up to dudes like Trump and Giuliani.

I know Donald’s a teetotaler but he’s sure as poo poo on some drug cocktail that’s not what a doctor would prescribe a normal fat grandpa

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Pour one out for the goon who brought his laptop to the hospital and raided while his kid was born

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Some things, such as addiction, are bad for reasons besides capitalism hth

Example: almost every man here old enough to remember the USSR is a drunk