Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

SithDrummer posted:

Sounds like a very strategic aim at getting the VP nom

He might be thinking along those lines, but it won't work. Trump is the most childishly petty rear end in a top hat ever to live and will never forgive DeSantis for daring to challenge him. At absolute best, he'd end up this cycle's Chris Christie, turned into an errand boy and humiliated at every opportunity until he quits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Ron DeSantis - in his new more relatable and human form - is having his wife give interviews to stress his humility and compassion.

The two examples she gave of his humility and compassion during their 14-year marriage were:

1) He took her out to dinner as a surprise in 2014.

2) After she was diagnosed with breast cancer, he would pick up their kids from school on days when her cancer treatment was scheduled at the same time as their kids' school or sports.

https://twitter.com/VABVOX/status/1689358167975534592

One thing I don't think gets brought up nearly enough is that DeSantis was personally involved in the Guantanamo torture project, advising among other things about how best to force feed prisoners. He's a monster and in a sane country (I know, I know) he'd be kept in close confinement because he genuinely poses a threat to other humans.

VitalSigns posted:

Wasn't he Trump's lapdog in 2016 to the point of being nicknamed Reek since everyone was watching Game of Thrones?

Fat Reek, specifically.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 10, 2023

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Be interesting if he hadn’t been septic during that television debate and managed to best Kennedy in 60.

A President Nixon during the Cuban Missile Crisis might rate a bit more than just "interesting."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Mustang posted:

Sure, but they didn't live in a time with a 24 hour news cycle that puts presidents and presidential candidates on air all the time.

In TR's case though, it wasn't for a lack of trying on his part. The man loooved him the spotlight* and sought it out at every conceivable opportunity.

*IIRC one of his daughters coined the phrase "he wanted to be the bride at every wedding and the corpse at every funeral" in response.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

AtomikKrab posted:

With it seeming like Vivek is pulling ahead of any of the Non-Trump primary Candidates, does he have a good shot if for whatever reason Trump ends up not being the nominee?

I just can't see the GOP nominating a non-white, non-Christian candidate at this level, or increasingly at most others given how unashamedly and openly bigoted the party is these days.

Magic Underwear posted:

Perceived decline is the same as proven decline. He's old, he stutters and he has a few on camera gaffes, that's enough.

And he's tripped a few times, which those looking to portray frailty upon him claim proves he's a shambling wreck one stiff breeze away from falling completely apart.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Morrow posted:

I mean, is there really any point to the whole primary at this point? Trump refuses to show up to the debates, no one will discuss the real news which is his n+1 criminal indictments, and he's gonna win handily.

Most of the also-rans are betting on him landing in prisoner sooner rather than later and so need to keep the act up until that point, except Christie who seems to just want to throw molotovs at Trump.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Civilized Fishbot posted:

My guess is that he might've actually been 6'3" at one point, but, being a perfect metaphor for his country, he's unable to acknowledge his decline over time. I was 6'3" at age 27 so I must be at least that tall 50 years later.

He also has the incentive to lie about his height as it facilitates lying about his weight.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dubar posted:

There is a perfectly good chance that Trump becomes president, but there's basically zero chance that he or his merry band of chucklefucks suddenly become competent enough to undo the country.

"The United States will in some form continue to exist" is precious little comfort for the various already-vulnerable minority groups who get unpersoned and crushed in the interim should this come to pass.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Zwabu posted:

So what is Vivek’s endgame here?

He doesn’t have the same constraints as the other candidates since as I understand it he is basically a self funded campaign and is a billionaire.

As long as he is not indulging in expensive ad buys he can continue his campaign right up until Trump (or anyone else) clinches the nomination.

But why? He is not going to win. He is not going to be the VP pick, no way Trump puts a loudmouth attention whore who is as much of an ambitious narcissistic egomaniac as himself on the ticket and one where the campaign stickers will have to have “Ramaswamy” printed on them.

If the guy is trying to boost profile to become a new conservative media darling a la Joe Rogan or Ben Shapiro, he has probably already done as much in this area as he can with this campaign.

Is he even doing rallies and public events, or just media appearances? I think I read an article from around the first debate where he makes himself available to anyone who will put a camera and mic in front of him, and does a lot of stuff from his home studio where he can be piped in to an interview anywhere.

Does he continue right up until he has a pitiful showing in Iowa and New Hampshire then quits?

I think it is mainly a profile-boosting endeavor for a future in conservative/conspiracy* media, perhaps with additional vague intentions to run more seriously for some other office in the future, and while I agree he's already done enough to accomplish that I think he's gotten addicted to the attention and will keep going as long as it's fun and he gets to be abusive in public without consequences.

*If there's even any light between them anymore.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Gyges posted:

Trump will ramble on in every direction no matter what the question, but I think you guys are really overthinking his thought process. Dude's a product of the Northeast and has zero curiosity or brains. He'll say it was slavery, and then enter his typical word salad where he may brag about how he would have won the war so fast or he might just start ranting about how everyone is so uncivil to him now.

If he'd actually spent any real life time outside New York, LA, or South Florida then he might maybe do a little off-key ditty about State's Rights.

There is also a good chance he'd go onto a tangent about that property of his that he insists was the site of an important civil war battle despite that being categorically false, to the point where he commissioned his own historical marker for it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

DarklyDreaming posted:

Never forget the fallen at the River of Blood :911:

*Wipes away tears as I salute a cemetery momument, only for the camera to pan around to reveal it's blank*

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i mean the segragationism poo poo was always just under the surface and the fact that kirk is now screaming it shows its popular again.

It's basically undeniable at this point that that one of the main goals of the right is to roll back civil rights for anyone who isn't white, male, straight, and Christian* to achieve (what they imagine) either the early 1950s or 1850s to be.

*Under whatever arbitrary definition they're using today.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

The Artificial Kid posted:

To be fair there are usually long periods of boredom+pain during labour where the partner may or may not be even wanted in the room. If the patient is happy with the partner on the other side of the room playing WoW then so be it.

Edit - ok, while the head is crowning might be a sign of addiction

It's the same guy who ditched his two dogs because he didn't want to waste raid time on taking them for walks and stuff, and tried to mask it as a mournful but necessary surrender of pets for some other reason.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Uglycat posted:

I still find it near impossible to believe that the GOP would run an ancient unstable loser whose closets have been flying open and skeletons are falling out.

As he, broke and busted, saps whatever money billionaire donors can hold their nose to donate.

It just doesn't add up.

You're making the mistake of thinking that the GOP is still a political party pursuing its own self interest. It's not. The GOP is now a personality cult blindly following Dear Leader as even those who recognize what's happened are too scared of the zealots to break ranks.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pants Donkey posted:

Will Haley win a state? Stayed tuned.

She's got a shot at Vermont. The state party by and large hates Trump, as does our governor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Phlegmish posted:

Could be, even the ones that didn't switch parties are presumably still old (ancient) school Republicans compared to the rest of the country. They might see even vaguely evangelical Haley as being preferable to Trump.

If it does happen, he'll just spin it like DC, though. Of course the lefty state would vote for Haley! It's not like he has anything to lose by alienating Vermont, which would never vote for him in the GE in the first place.

Yeah, a significant percentage of VT Republicans are pre-Gingrich holdouts (sometimes literally; we're an old state) and even a few remnants of the long-defunct Rockefeller wing.

I agree that Trump will spin it if it happens and he remembers we exist.