Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If my quick research is correct, the last incumbent president who was eligible to run for re-election and declined was Coolidge, who had almost a term and a half nearly a century ago. (e: Not Ford, as I initially said - he ran and lost.) It's a very well entrenched standard that a first-term president will run and be nominated again.

I think that in the current day, absent some kind of exceptional and obvious justification, it would be seen as a strong admission of weakness and/or lack of confidence if an incumbent president declined to run again. If I had to guess, other highly-placed Democratic politicians probably do not want Biden to step back any more than Biden wants himself to step back because the uncertainty of what would come next for the whole ticket is scarier than Biden's known weaknesses.

e2: Aw drat, I forgot about Johnson. I think he was clearly just completely defeated by Vietnam, underlined by the fact that he died barely a full presidential term after leaving office.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU