Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Waffle! posted:

A paradox: Are they clocking you because it's obvious, or because game recognizes game?

trans people can mostly clock each other instantly so probably the game thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Whenever I’m meeting other trans people irl it’s usually to hook up with them so I dunno if that’s a good frame of reference.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
I get along with all the trans people I know irl (i know 0)

Lavender Spliffs
Nov 12, 2023

FungiCap posted:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

The few irl transfem friends I made all turned out to be massive gross shitheads so I didn't get along with them. This was also people in their late teens early 20s that didn't know how to be adults so not a huge shocker.
I've only had one transmasc friend and he was way too loud. Like playing games with a small child. We got along fine though just sorta drifted apart, happens.

Now that I have no trans friends currently

FungiCap posted:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I have a trans friend, but we've been besties since high school so idk if it counts in the same way y'all mean it. I transgended first, they followed a few years later.

I think it's a combination of a) being a coworker so I can't really be honest about anything, and a bad coworker at that b) her being 50 something years old and me being half her age and c) just generally kind of being a lovely person who I don't want to be around. She's obnoxious, rude, belittling, incompetent and, to top it all off, racist and sexist and all the rest.

At least I work in IT, which according to a rough census, trans woman make up about 69% of the workforce.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

You're not required to like someone just because they're queer, especially if they're a Gen-X coworker with Boomer sensibilities. Skinfolk ain't always kinfolk, as the saying goes

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Everyone is required to like me.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I don't care to be friends with most people, even if they are also queer/trans. Being trans is not that big of a deal to me, although I am much happier now since beginning to medically transition. It's just a thing that I take pills for and don't talk about much. If it wasn't for an entire political party trying to annihilate me I would hardly ever think about it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I'm not sure how you would slip this into conversation but it sounds like boomer overshare person could really benefit from a support group where it is appropriate to share these things openly instead of at their place of business.

edit: for content I had a cute date tonight :3:

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
The trans people I've met seemed to sort themselves naturally into generation groups but that seems like the same thing you could say about anybody you kinda throw together based on arbitrary things. I dunno though I do think the age you've lived through does come with a lot of baggage when it comes to trans journeys and that was a thing. I'm late gen x going on millennial and it's like, I don't spend a lot of time contriving trans related topics to talk about with my friends but it does help to be able to go "the 90s, amirite".

I dunno though generations feel a bit like astrology sometimes.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've got queer and trans friends across generations, they're cool peoples. I don't hold trans people to a different standard, so like a lot of people I tend to not give a poo poo about getting to know them. I'll do a polite conversation and all that, I'm not a jerk, but very rarely do I meet someone and go "wow I gotta be their friend!"

Also if you want to stand a better chance stop trauma dumping the moment I meet you it isn't bonding it's worrying, but that's universal. People loving love telling me intimate poo poo I never asked about.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
As a cis person I make all my trans friends by getting along with my trans friends partners who are also trans and then they break up and it continues exponentially barring major blowouts

ombredog
Apr 4, 2024

for every post i make i order myself to do three squats and take an effervescent multivitamin on top of my tallest hill in my town. it helps my reception

syntaxfunction posted:

I've got queer and trans friends across generations, they're cool peoples. I don't hold trans people to a different standard, so like a lot of people I tend to not give a poo poo about getting to know them. I'll do a polite conversation and all that, I'm not a jerk, but very rarely do I meet someone and go "wow I gotta be their friend!"

Also if you want to stand a better chance stop trauma-dumping the moment I meet you it isn't bonding it's worrying, but that's universal. People loving love telling me intimate poo poo I never asked about.

I feel this is the issue I've got with people nowadays where poo poo is often really unproductive(?) dumping of trauma, almost in a way where I wish we returned into that emotional capacity/consent framework from tumblr and sorts. It makes everyone really not have an idea of boundaries, kind of assume they are closer to people than they actually are a lot of the time, and possibly not understand that they may need to console with other people privately first.

With that being said, I think there is something very noticeable I find very sad as I get older it's getting faster and faster that queer peers from older and younger folk don't happen anymore. There's like this huge slat of a bunch of 20-year-old trans fems that are nice enough but definitely struggle to culturally connect with much of anyone else apart from asking about surgeries but maybe its everyone else being an oldhead

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The woman I’m seeing has been on HRT for about a year or maybe a bit more. She told me that fairly recently her iPhone stopped recognizing her face. I asked if she was going to update the facial recognition and she said “not yet, I love it every time it happens.” :3:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The woman I’m seeing has been on HRT for about a year or maybe a bit more. She told me that fairly recently her iPhone stopped recognizing her face. I asked if she was going to update the facial recognition and she said “not yet, I love it every time it happens.” :3:

:3:

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I guess the only trans people I’m friends with irl are my roommate and boyfriend who are both around my age but all the trans people I’m friends with online are like elder millennials.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've found the younger trans and queer folks I'm actually friends with are the ones that have done the "okay time to grow up" but already.

I have a general rule of thumb that people have about five years after high school to gently caress around and just be young and dumb, as is their right, but by the end of those five years most people will start taking life a little more seriously. So a lot of the high school style drama, and "omg he said she said" and all those little things tend to fade away. This is also when people typically find themselves getting more distant with some friends and closer to others, because they are no longer on the same wave length.

Usually by 25 if you still have the proclivities of a high schooler ("I'm gonna be a professional e-sports streamer!") then barring large life changes you probably aren't growing out of it naturally. I've had many a friend who I've seen do exactly this, and seems pretty common to everyone I've talked to.

Anyway, that's basically my standard. So I know folks from early 20s all the way up, and the folks I like are the ones that are on the same wavelength. Goofing around and being dorks is a tonne of fun, but I need my friends to be able to just be adults when it's needed.

And there's a lot of peeps far older than me that can't do that.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Sarsapariller posted:

You're not required to like someone just because they're queer, especially if they're a Gen-X coworker with Boomer sensibilities. Skinfolk ain't always kinfolk, as the saying goes

you are required to like me if you're queer these are the rules

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ombredog posted:

I feel this is the issue I've got with people nowadays where poo poo is often really unproductive(?) dumping of trauma, almost in a way where I wish we returned into that emotional capacity/consent framework from tumblr and sorts. It makes everyone really not have an idea of boundaries, kind of assume they are closer to people than they actually are a lot of the time, and possibly not understand that they may need to console with other people privately first.

That's really a sign they have not processed their trauma, and are stuck at a stage where dumping it on others (often repeatedly) is them spinning their wheels and getting temporary relief from their distress at the expense of others. I've heard the phenomenon referred to as "verbal cutting," which has a certain aptness.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Queering Wheel posted:

Being trans is not that big of a deal to me, although I am much happier now since beginning to medically transition. It's just a thing that I take pills for and don't talk about much. If it wasn't for an entire political party trying to annihilate me I would hardly ever think about it.

I mean, that's the thing isn't it? It's not much of a big deal to us, but to the culture war folks it's a huge deal. It really makes the whole 'stop shoving your way of life in our faces!' thing obnoxious because largely, trans people want to live quiet lives where they are left alone.

The freedom to transition with it being not that big of a deal is pretty much the dream. A world where people could transition back-and-forth as they desire and no one gives a poo poo, and it's not politically loaded either way as trans or detrans stuff, would be fantastic.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 10, 2024

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's really a sign they have not processed their trauma, and are stuck at a stage where dumping it on others (often repeatedly) is them spinning their wheels and getting temporary relief from their distress at the expense of others. I've heard the phenomenon referred to as "verbal cutting," which has a certain aptness.

While obviously this doesn't account for everyone since some people just have poor boundaries no matter what, some people will just genuinely have no one else to talk to and will end up letting it out when there is any chance. This kind of loneliness and alienation is probably more common among queer people given everything. They meet someone more 'like them' and it's easier to let all of the bottled poo poo come out.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
imagine processing your trauma, couldn't be me 💅

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

imagine processing your trauma, couldn't be me 💅

Pff, acknowledging you even have trauma.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
it's all trauma-bonding, all the way downnnnn *eyes this thread*

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I actually went to therapy for a number of years, but after a while I ended up stopping because I stopped having things to address that mattered any more, and I hate monster of the week stuff.

It feels loving weird to go "oh, I guess I don't need therapy now" after five years of it. But I guess it was effective, cause apparently I'm "weirdly well adjusted" these days. Which seems wrong lol

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shiroc posted:

While obviously this doesn't account for everyone since some people just have poor boundaries no matter what, some people will just genuinely have no one else to talk to and will end up letting it out when there is any chance. This kind of loneliness and alienation is probably more common among queer people given everything. They meet someone more 'like them' and it's easier to let all of the bottled poo poo come out.

Nothing is 100%, but I've seen this happen at recovery meetings where one person will always trauma dump, usually about the same stuff, and it clearly isn't doing them any good because they just keep doing it.

Processing trauma is a lot like grief, and has multiple stages, and getting stuck in one stage is not really a great outcome.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
People categorically don't understand every facet of what hurts them or constricts them the most IMO, and some people need like a decade of therapy to even get within the ballpark. Like it's not someone's fault that they don't have insight into it, but it may be annoying or harmful to those around them.

I'm trying to work on genuine well-wishing without feeling like I need to be a therapist, parent, or martyr at a drop of the hat. I think that squares the circle, caring about them, and them in turn being able to see that the concern isn't about solving whatever they're talking about. Much easier said than done though

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Recommendation for any trans person in the UK: don't read the news, any of it

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

this is probably a good idea in general but this week is going to be a shitshow

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

Yup, instead I read up on how easy it is to move to Ireland.

that's a lie, I read the news too :smith:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
As someone who still has a lot of connections to catholic communities over there it's crazy to me how the UK is somehow managing to look more regressive than Ireland right now

peachy...
Jan 15, 2020

~hey~

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

Yup, a very good recommendation.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah. Act where you can, but try not to ruminate too much when you can't.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

HopperUK posted:

Yeah. Act where you can, but try not to ruminate too much when you can't.

I'm off to do something far more pleasant than reading the news, ruminating or getting trolled: having a filling replaced

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

mfcrocker posted:

I'm off to do something far more pleasant than reading the news, ruminating or getting trolled: having a filling replaced

Oh heavens good luck!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

HopperUK posted:

Oh heavens good luck!

Thanks, honestly it wasn’t too bad in the end but yeah, bit of a morning

ombredog
Apr 4, 2024

for every post i make i order myself to do three squats and take an effervescent multivitamin on top of my tallest hill in my town. it helps my reception
Oh hey, I forgot to post in this thread because it felt a bit self-effacing at the time but: I have a date for facial feminisation surgery later this year!
I'm excited for it. I don't particularly have issues with passing per se, but I really would feel much more at peace with myself.

I'm not seeking anything major, as I do like how I look a lot like my grandmother sans my jaw and eyebrow bone. Pretty pumped since technically that's the last big medical thing off the docket in terms of being 'medically' transgender and then I am home freeeee :cheersdoge:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

ombredog posted:

Oh hey, I forgot to post in this thread because it felt a bit self-effacing at the time but: I have a date for facial feminisation surgery later this year!
I'm excited for it. I don't particularly have issues with passing per se, but I really would feel much more at peace with myself.

I'm not seeking anything major, as I do like how I look a lot like my grandmother sans my jaw and eyebrow bone. Pretty pumped since technically that's the last big medical thing off the docket in terms of being 'medically' transgender and then I am home freeeee :cheersdoge:

oh grats! and hell yeah on getting through transition. the little bit of FFS I got done made me a lot happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

ombredog posted:

self-effacing...

Nice