Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Vertical stats GBS verified 6/30/2023 185.4cm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Ave Dominus Infernus

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I was lucky enough to be friends with a man who helped move his church from a policy of "tolerant" to "open and affirming" in the 90s after coming out himself. I feel like it's pretty obvious which side of this Jesus would be on, and fortunately his denomination and others are still around and welcoming people who want to be a part of it. It's good to see that people can stick to their principles, even when it made their road more difficult.

There are good people of faith around still and I'm glad for it, even if I'm not one of them any more. Finding a community where you can be yourself is vital.

Tricky Ed fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 29, 2024

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Tricky Ed posted:

...it's pretty obvious which side of this Jesus would be on...

Yeah no kidding, he was always taking little gaycations with the boys and washing their "feet"

I guess your average religious person just thinks they were all good roommates.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

If I ever do anything noteworthy, historians are so going to have the wrong idea about me. I'm gay, and live with two gay roommates in a very stable living situation; we've been cohabitating for more than a decade now. None of us are in a relationship or loving one another, but there's absolutely no way anyone will ever believe that.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

aniviron posted:

If I ever do anything noteworthy, historians are so going to have the wrong idea about me. I'm gay, and live with two gay roommates in a very stable living situation; we've been cohabitating for more than a decade now. None of us are in a relationship or loving one another, but there's absolutely no way anyone will ever believe that.

I think historians are very likely to describe gay people living together as good friends tbh

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

"Confirmed bachelors with many good roommates"

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

aniviron posted:

hell i don't believe it

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I live with another bi trans femme and we really are just good friends lmao

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

hell i don't believe it

We've been really stable as a group and I attribute a lot of that to the fact that we don't gently caress around! It's nice.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
When I say she’s my roommate I actually mean she’s my roommate. We broke up a couple years ago.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

For anyone here in the Chicago area:

http://imgur.com/a/u0I9bQm

I don’t have PMs, but you can hit me up at my username at gmail and I’ll get you in touch

E: apparently Imgur is making GBS threads the bed right now. Click the link, it’s a therapist I know offering doctor’s notes for gender affirming care for free

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 25, 2024

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

aniviron posted:

We've been really stable as a group and I attribute a lot of that to the fact that we don't gently caress around! It's nice.

I'm a firm believer that you don't gently caress housemates. Like Id even gently caress around at work when i was single and it was fine but tbh unless you are willing to escalate it to a relationship immediately it's always problematic to sleep with your housemates

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
You can absolutely gently caress other people's housemates tho, that's a lil "loophole" for ya.

Housemates in general are a dice roll, don't need to add all that poo poo in with it. Protip: never trust that anyone will actually be "totally no strings attached, no emotions" or anything. Doesn't matter how sure you both are about it, don't risk it. Humans be a lot more fickle and complex than we are usually even aware.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

syntaxfunction posted:

I live with another bi trans femme and we really are just good friends lmao

inconceivable lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

inconceivable lol

I don't see what conceiving has to do with this.

Wait.

But my point remains.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

it's Lesbian visibility week this week, i forgot about it because I'm not really on the socials and honestly me posting to insta or whatever about it is just Asking For It. But I'll mention it here anyway, because maybe it's nice to know people out there are seeing lesbians maybe.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I'd love to see some lesbians this week.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
There's a selfie thread, be your own heroes!

Fake edit: not me I'm self conscious

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

syntaxfunction posted:

There's a selfie thread, be your own heroes!

Fake edit: not me I'm self conscious

i kill the thread whenever i post in it so i will forbear

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Grey Cat posted:

i haven't seen the nice lady next door for quite a while because she's in alaska doing some kind of university professor traveling discreet math tour or something.
i don't run in academic circles so i'm not really qualified to make any kind of judgement about that.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

dee eight posted:

i haven't seen the nice lady next door for quite a while because she's in alaska doing some kind of university professor traveling discreet math tour or something.
i don't run in academic circles so i'm not really qualified to make any kind of judgement about that.

Around the girls in 80 days.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Grey Cat posted:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

All the good parts of New Atheism got adopted into intersectional feminism, so I guess that's the closest I'll ever get to religion.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

it's Lesbian visibility week this week, i forgot about it because I'm not really on the socials and honestly me posting to insta or whatever about it is just Asking For It. But I'll mention it here anyway, because maybe it's nice to know people out there are seeing lesbians maybe.

i browbeat one of my girlfriends into doing a Gundam kit while watching g-witch because she somehow had no idea Gundam lesbians were a thing

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Rockman Reserve posted:

i browbeat one of my girlfriends into doing a Gundam kit while watching g-witch because she somehow had no idea Gundam lesbians were a thing

I gotta get round to watching that, it's on the list

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it’s real good. we should all aspire to be as pure of heart and strong of robot as Suletta Mercury

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rockman Reserve posted:

Was it a lesbian Gundam? My gf and I have been working on a version of Suletta's Gundam. I'm out of town for work, so I can't pull up the name/kit number.

Also a dumb aside, they thought the "HG" on the box was a reference to Witch from Mercury. Which, fair.

EDIT: as for religion chat, my mom's church has been trying to show itself as "open and affirming*" But everytime they get a young person (from a local college) they nope out seeing the 12 or so families amd 0 queer people. Should I talk with her to see how she change her worship and visibilty to seem more welcoming even without queer parishioners? Like, I never though about theying God, but it's not out of nowhere to see it used.

*language she used. I assume it's the verbiage that the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) use to signify welcoming congregations.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 29, 2024

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

BirdOfPlay posted:

EDIT: as for religion chat, my mom's church has been trying to show itself as "open and affirming*" But everytime they get a young person (from a local college) they nope out seeing the 12 or so families amd 0 queer people. Should I talk with her to see how she change her worship and visibilty to seem more welcoming even without queer parishioners? Like, I never though about theying God, but it's not out of nowhere to see it used.

*language she used. I assume it's the verbiage that the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) use to signify welcoming congregations.

I don't know enough to comment on pronouns. I suspect overcoming preconceived notions with outreach is probably going to be the better method. It's got to go beyond putting up a flyer in queer spaces. My friend delivered meals on wheels and volunteered at AIDS hospice weekly for decades. If there are people from the church actually helping the community, that can go a long way towards building trust.

Like, if you're marginalized and go to a place that's full of strangers, you're going to assume those strangers act like the people you've interacted with before, and that's not a great thing in this case. If you show up for a service and recognize people who have been giving their time to causes that don't benefit them directly, that's powerful.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

My wife and I attend an Episcopal church (lesbian pastor; gay deacon, etc) and met our best friends who are another lesbian couple--when we moved and were shopping for churches we decided on this parish before even knowing about the pastor being one of us because they have, since BLM started, done a weekly vigil every Sunday out in front of the church with a big BLM flag and tons of parishioners every week, and we would see them out there and thought, "ok well that seems good"

So visible advocacy is a good place to start, I think

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Speaking of visible advocacy, my husband just got booted from a transmasc subreddit for suggesting trans men shouldn't be stealth or more specifically tell people they're cis.
I can definitely see situations where one wouldn't want to out themselves and obviously it's nobody's business but it's hard for me to imagine, short of physical danger, not being out and proud especially when trans women could really use some solidarity right now.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I'm learning how to sew because I've found a nice enby affirming skirt that I feel comfy in

They are like 30 bucks each and simple enough that I reckon I can clone it

Figure I'll learn a new skill to repair my clothes and get a couple affirming garments out of it

This is the cut

And my first attempt at a clone

But Its inappropriate fabric, Im just using this as a learning exercise to get it all worked out before I get the fabric I wanna get it proper

I even sewed a pocket!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
pockets fuckin rule

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Yeah they do, I love when my unisex clothes have a pocket in them big enough to hold an entire other person.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Jestery posted:

I'm learning how to sew because I've found a nice enby affirming skirt that I feel comfy in

They are like 30 bucks each and simple enough that I reckon I can clone it

Figure I'll learn a new skill to repair my clothes and get a couple affirming garments out of it

This is the cut

And my first attempt at a clone

But Its inappropriate fabric, Im just using this as a learning exercise to get it all worked out before I get the fabric I wanna get it proper

I even sewed a pocket!

Didn't realise we had two nb wife guys in ausgbs but let's go

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I'm a wife guy?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

In my goons.xls you are do you want me to update it

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I just don't know what a wife guy is or does in the context of being a poo poo posters

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Am I in a queer spreadsheet yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

pockets are great if you never put anything in them