Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Ock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Flyerant posted:

Thank you!

I critiqued your pieces and put em below.

Thanks for that, and you're right, I probably should have thought it through a bit more, spent more time on it. The superhussein thing I probably shouldn't have posted, being political, I guess. It's just how I view people on either side of political spectrum and how they see each other in extremes. And I'm a massive LOTR nerd, very upset with amazon cause Galadriel wasn't a warrior queen girlboss dammit and I need to shut up about it. But I read it again with what you said in mind and Yeah, I could easily make it Ogres in fairyland etc. I'm lazy, Took bible names too. I shall take this to heart and endeavour to write something that isn't based on my own twisted perceptions.

silmarillionaire
Jun 16, 2023

Made a new account just for writing to give me a bit of buy-in/be less self-conscious about what I write, and just signed up for my first T-dome :shobon:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

silmarillionaire posted:

Made a new account just for writing to give me a bit of buy-in/be less self-conscious about what I write, and just signed up for my first T-dome :shobon:

Welcome, mysterious new writer!

silmarillionaire
Jun 16, 2023

Sitting Here posted:

Welcome, mysterious new writer!

Thank you!

Got home from work and had a look at my initial, incomplete 775 words after a night's sleep and

This is fun though, even if it's hard.

Edit: gave it a couple hours re-writing/polish and feeling less bad.

Is there a good site that'll convert rich text to BB code so I don't have to redo italics and stuff manually?

silmarillionaire fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 16, 2023

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I use https://any2bb.com/

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Flyerant posted:

Thank you!

I critiqued your pieces and put em below.

:words:

just a heads up, only stuff posted in the main TD thread will get added or logged in the archive, so if you want "credit" for these crits you'll need to repost them there

if you don't care about that kind of thing then proceed about your business

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

Very excited for the pending bummerdome brawl entries. I've never been so stoked to be sad.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

silmarillionaire posted:

Awesome forums name! :wotwot:

If anyone is scared of Thunderdome, don’t be. I’ve entered on and off since it started and it’s a good way to improve your writing. In fact, one of my stories that won Thunderdome was published in a MAJOR speculative fiction mag!

Thunderdome used to be pretty unrestrained but it was always (or at least usually) for humor’s sake.

Most important: if a story doesn’t get showered with praise as much as you think it should it doesn’t mean it’s a bad story. It’s good to experience how varied feedback is on everything. Nothing is universally acclaimed. But more importantly, good stories are rejected ALL the time for reasons that have nothing to do with the merit of the work. Maybe they bought something similar already, maybe they’ve seen too much of a certain thing, maybe they selected other pieces that work better together, maybe it was down to a coin toss and yours lost to something just as good, maybe they don’t have the space within a reasonable amount of time… etc etc etc.

In summary: :justpost:

silmarillionaire
Jun 16, 2023

Thank you! There's a fair few snippets of inner monologue so doing it by hand was looking like a chore.

Doctor Zero posted:

Awesome forums name! :wotwot:

If anyone is scared of Thunderdome, don’t be. I’ve entered on and off since it started and it’s a good way to improve your writing. In fact, one of my stories that won Thunderdome was published in a MAJOR speculative fiction mag!

Thunderdome used to be pretty unrestrained but it was always (or at least usually) for humor’s sake.

Most important: if a story doesn’t get showered with praise as much as you think it should it doesn’t mean it’s a bad story. It’s good to experience how varied feedback is on everything. Nothing is universally acclaimed. But more importantly, good stories are rejected ALL the time for reasons that have nothing to do with the merit of the work. Maybe they bought something similar already, maybe they’ve seen too much of a certain thing, maybe they selected other pieces that work better together, maybe it was down to a coin toss and yours lost to something just as good, maybe they don’t have the space within a reasonable amount of time… etc etc etc.

In summary: :justpost:

Credit where credit's due, I found this one in the CSPAM username ideas thread. Every now and then I trawl that one and stick 'em in an Evernote note. Mostly for pub quiz team name ideas :v: (Come say "hi" if you're ever up against R. Guiliani, Attorney at LOL or Mavis Beacon Teaches Twerking.)

I think the last time I looked in on Thunderdome was some years ago, and remember it felt like the kayfabe wasn't really kayfabe in a lot of cases. Looking at it more recently, it's much more on my wavelength (and perhaps I've changed in the meantime as well).

I was reading the last couple pages of the writing advice thread and this is basically me:

Leng posted:

I've never been that person who's like, "I have so many stories to tell, they're just busting to get out into the world". I have the exact opposite problem, where I enjoy writing and creating but I never know what to write about.

I think the only piece of fiction I've written since teenage homework assignments was an ironic flash fanfic for a thread on SA a very long time ago. But I have always loved to read, and I love to write and edit; I try and do a bit of journaling every day, and writing emails to friends who are similarly minded/my partner.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

I've conned a friend into joining SA just for Thunderdome. Hopefully they sign up for the next prompt :justpost:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah, nice work

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Excellent! I've been working on convincing a couple of people, but no joy so far.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

have you told them how really cool and handsome we all are

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

MockingQuantum posted:

have you told them how really cool and handsome we all are

Yes I told them they'd fit right in

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Yes I told them they'd fit right in

boy are they going to be surprised

Flyerant
Jun 4, 2021

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2024
Anyone down for swapping critiques on thunderdome pieces BEFORE they are posted? I'll have mine ready hopefully by Friday night: 1,000 words.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

My crits are as worthless as my stories, back 2 back losses coming, probably.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Fat Jesus posted:

Always remember the simple acronym ACAW(UTJ"TS"OPI): All Crits Are Worthwhile (Unless They're Just "This Sucks" Or Personal Insults)

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Fat Jesus posted:

I know it's a little late for this week, but if I could offer some advice: I noticed that you've posted your stories fairly early in the week, presumably fairly soon after you've finished writing them. I would suggest waiting until closer to deadline to submit, since I've always found it valuable to sit with a piece for a little while and come back to it with fresh eyes. Sometimes on rereading you notice things that you didn't in the moment, or you find ways that you could improve. You may also want to take people up on pre-entry crit swaps like the one mentioned above, since both giving and receiving feedback will help you improve your craft. And like Anti said, don't worry too much about your crits "not being useful." All feedback is good feedback!

Also if you have Discord, I would encourage you (and anyone entering/thinking about entering TD) to join the server, since there's usually people willing to give early feedback and general advice, or even expand on crits if you feel like you need more help. Link is here: https://discord.gg/ZcgckY9d Also, if you're reading this post in the future and the link is expired, feel free to ask for a new one in this thread, or to PM me. :3:

curlingiron fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 23, 2023

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

curlingiron posted:

I know it's a little late for this week, but if I could offer some advice: I noticed that you've posted your stories fairly early in the week, presumably fairly soon after you've finished writing them. I would suggest waiting until closer to deadline to submit, since I've always found it valuable to sit with a piece for a little while and come back to it with fresh eyes. Sometimes on rereading you notice things that you didn't in the moment, or you find ways that you could improve. You may also want to take people up on pre-entry crit swaps like the one mentioned above, since both giving and receiving feedback will help you improve your craft. And like Anti said, don't worry too much about your crits "not being useful." All feedback is good feedback!

Also if you have Discord, I would encourage you (and anyone entering/thinking about entering TD) to join the server, since there's usually people willing to give early feedback and general advice, or even expand on crits if you feel like you need more help. Link is here: https://discord.gg/ZcgckY9d Also, if you're reading this post in the future and the link is expired, feel free to ask for a new one in this thread, or to PM me. :3:

I know it's a bit early and I'd do better to wait, but I'm not going to be around much this weekend. I wasn't going to join in but thought what the hell, write something, post it, it doesn't matter really. I think I'm getting a bit better and I'll certainly spend more time going over whatever i come up with next week. I'll check the discord thing though I've never used it so thanks. I do have a question or two.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
The only qualification you need to crit is the ability to read

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Obliterati posted:

The only qualification you need to crit is the ability to read

And maybe not even that.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Here's what I ask my beta readers to do. It may help you would-be critters out there.

1. Summarize the story as they understand it.
2. Tell me if there was anything that confused, annoyed, or upset them in a bad way, or that they couldn't suspend their disbelief over. That's probably something I need to fix in the revision.
3. Tell me if there's anything they really enjoyed. Then I know to keep doing more of it.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Another classic - less common in short fiction but if it's relevant mention it - the exact moment you lost interest, stopped reading, closed the page.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I've written over half the length of the story for the goblin prompt, but it's all garbage, so I need to completely start over. I picked a scene for the story that doesn't have any action, so all the characters are standing around in an empty void and bleating words at each other. So now I need to come up with a better idea that actually has some action and stuff for the characters to do so they're not doing the talking heads thing.

Ah well. Such is writing.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, sometimes it takes a draft to realize what you're doing. God knows I've submitted some TD stories and then realized I really hadn't found my story until the end and it could have used a second run. Good luck with the rewriting!

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Fat Jesus posted:

I know it's a bit early and I'd do better to wait, but I'm not going to be around much this weekend. I wasn't going to join in but thought what the hell, write something, post it, it doesn't matter really. I think I'm getting a bit better and I'll certainly spend more time going over whatever i come up with next week. I'll check the discord thing though I've never used it so thanks. I do have a question or two.

I'd actually love to see an edited version of the "ancient gods loving with each other's prophets" story, it's a funny concept that could really have legs!

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Chernobyl Princess posted:

I'd actually love to see an edited version of the "ancient gods loving with each other's prophets" story, it's a funny concept that could really have legs!

I've put that away til I come up with a few more things, I'm sorry I posted what i now realise is nothing but a draft, and felt a bit bad people wasted their time giving it crits, I gotta start making an effort here.

Doing my third rewrite of the goblin story rn. Question! How much should I worry the reader doesn't know a singular thing about irish / celt mythology? I can't really fit another 1000 words explaining the Tuatha Dé Danann, Fomorians and such but I think it's all kinda obvious. I've already made this mistake, but blah I'll assume people have imaginations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Fat Jesus posted:

I've put that away til I come up with a few more things, I'm sorry I posted what i now realise is nothing but a draft, and felt a bit bad people wasted their time giving it crits, I gotta start making an effort here.

Doing my third rewrite of the goblin story rn. Question! How much should I worry the reader doesn't know a singular thing about irish / celt mythology? I can't really fit another 1000 words explaining the Tuatha Dé Danann, Fomorians and such but I think it's all kinda obvious. I've already made this mistake, but blah I'll assume people have imaginations.

IMO as long as it’s clear from context why it matters I wouldn’t sweat it. I mean, poo poo look at Dune.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Didn't realise Australia was GMT+10 till now. At any rate, I managed to send something. I would've liked to have more time for my first submission but that's just me.

Haven't written much in the past decade and a half and reading the rest of the submissions I feel a bit inadequate but like the advice thread says, the main way of getting better at writing is writing. So there we are.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Don't worry, I feel the same way. I figured this was a good chance for me to force myself to write, but now I feel like I should have tried a little harder. I'm glad I actually finished the story, but the ending is super rushed and the story doesn't have as much conflict as I would have liked.

But the goal was never to win for me. The goal was to have fun. And I did succeed at that. :)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I don't think Thunderdome has any one unified goal but based on my experience, it's a lot about just improving progressively by writing, so while aiming for a theoretically perfect story is a good goal, it's never going to be the likely outcome. You write what you're able to write in the span of a little less than a week, and take another stab at it when you have the chance. Nobody's going to fault you for not trying a little harder because I guarantee you've already tried harder than the lowest-effort entries TD has seen.

really the only thing that will get someone to yell at you in TD (at least in a non-kayfabe, earnest way) is entering repeatedly but not really taking any heed of crits, especially if the same issues are being brought up over and over.

edit: also I feel like we used to say this a lot but it probably mostly gets said in the discord: as long as you've submitted something borne of genuine effort, you've basically succeeded at Thunderdome. even a loss isn't a failure, the only way to fail is to submit nothing.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 3, 2023

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

hello new people I will try to put in a higher degree of effort when critting your stories

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

really the only thing that will get someone to yell at you in TD (at least in a non-kayfabe, earnest way) is entering repeatedly but not really taking any heed of crits, especially if the same issues are being brought up over and over.

edit: also I feel like we used to say this a lot but it probably mostly gets said in the discord: as long as you've submitted something borne of genuine effort, you've basically succeeded at Thunderdome. even a loss isn't a failure, the only way to fail is to submit nothing.

I haven't done many Thunderdomes, but yeah. It's got me back writing for fun and writing in time to hit the deadline is a huge thing. I know if I set my own deadlines I'll never hit them because the guy trying to crack the whip is a softies, and frequently drunk. Getting any sort of mention is significant, but entering and no-mentioning is plenty to keep me wanting to go. Then again, I'm also trying to keep an eye on what time I have in order to only enter when I have the time to do it. Still working on that, though.

But yeah. The gang-tag says it all. I write. I die. I write again.

Ouzo Maki
Jul 4, 2023
hey all, i joined to be able to play Thunderdome. is there a minimum crit I should do before I participate? Also are we supposed to write/edit on our own or can we get edit suggestions?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
No requirements to participate! Just post in the thread that you're in this week, and then start writing :) crits are always appreciated but not required unless you are a judge that week.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Also you can definitely get advice and edits from anyone you like. Plenty of people in the discord will exchange stories and give each other advice before posting

Ouzo Maki
Jul 4, 2023

derp posted:

Also you can definitely get advice and edits from anyone you like. Plenty of people in the discord will exchange stories and give each other advice before posting

That's cool :) Can I get a discord link when someone has a chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
https://discord.gg/qb3FWEty