Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I wanted to bring a discussion from Discord to this thread since not everyone does Discord.

In a nutshell, there's been an ongoing discussion about whether or not TD should move away from losses/dishonorable mentions. Where folks seem to have landed is that it makes the most sense to let the judges decide whether or not they want to have DMs/Losers, and if the culture shifts away from negative mentions, then that's that.

It was suggested by a few people that judges might want to indicate in the prompt post whether they intend to give DMs/losses. This isn't going to be made into a "rule", as such, but I think it would be helpful in determining whether people are more likely to enter if a loss isn't on the table. I guess if enough people do it then it de facto becomes a rule, and future OPs would reflect that.

For my part, I'm leaving this open to the community. TD belongs to everyone. Just wanted to make sure folks who aren't in Discord know what has been on the table for discussion.

e: and since I'm here at the top of the page: Here is the latest prompt.

Sitting Here fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyerant
Jun 4, 2021

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2024
I know I'd be more inclined to join a no Loss week but I'm here for the crits, regardless of loss or not.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Are losses scaring people away or something? I haven't been around here long enough to tell. If so all i can suggest is they heed the wisdom of my lord and savior, the macho man Randy Savage.
Death or glory.

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

Fat Jesus posted:

Are losses scaring people away or something? I haven't been around here long enough to tell. If so all i can suggest is they heed the wisdom of my lord and savior, the macho man Randy Savage.
Death or glory.

It definitely seems like the feelings on losses are mixed enough that it's emerging as a barrier to entry for many folks, and that's not good for participation, which ultimately determines the longevity of Thunderdome.

I like the idea of leaving it to judges to decide if there will be losses or not for now.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

As a new person entering this week, my two cents are that the losses aren't what caused me to not look into it, but the idea that the criticism is brutal. But then on actually looking and reading the criticism, I found that it wasn't as brutal as I imagined it would be - hence actually entering this time. I think I just had preconceptions about it because it was a writing critique thing on SA and I can remember the 00s when such a thing probably would have been brutal.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Green Wing posted:

As a new person entering this week, my two cents are that the losses aren't what caused me to not look into it, but the idea that the criticism is brutal. But then on actually looking and reading the criticism, I found that it wasn't as brutal as I imagined it would be - hence actually entering this time. I think I just had preconceptions about it because it was a writing critique thing on SA and I can remember the 00s when such a thing probably would have been brutal.

Looking back through the thread this is my vibe too. The criticism offered is real, and definitely avoids the hugbox, but isn't mean-spirited. I guess it used to he harsher?

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

I honestly quite like that there are loaers and DMs, and the amount of losers that keep coming back to write more. Part of the appeal once I realised the attitude is good.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Looking back through the thread this is my vibe too. The criticism offered is real, and definitely avoids the hugbox, but isn't mean-spirited. I guess it used to he harsher?

there was definitely a lot more kayfabe, and I think there probably was a higher proportion of genuinely aggressive/catty crits but they've never been exactly common, I think.

When people say "brutal" I think it's really just shorthand for how drastically different the critiques you get in TD are compared to other writing groups or writing communities online, like nobody is going to take time to seek out something to compliment in your story just for the sake of complimenting something, they're going to focus on what worked and what didn't, and if the story just didn't work very well for them they're going to say so, without sandwiching it between platitudes that aren't actually useful in improving your writing.

Which not everybody wants! and that's fine! but I do think the degree to which you'll get your story torn apart has been overblown over the years. It can depend a lot on who's critiquing, the story, the prompt, etc.

also one particular core element of TD is that anybody can crit anybody's story, no matter how experienced you are, doesn't matter if you are brand new or if you've lost a billion times or the person you're critting has been doing this for 10 years, and I think that's a big contributor to keeping the crits honest and useful, there's no real pretension about any one person's crits being more valuable or valid than anyone else's. That tends to mean they are all be pretty genuine and useful, and also if you get one that doesn't really make sense to you or help clarify what you were trying to do in a story, well, it's just like your opinion, man.

It's possible we don't bang on that particular drum often enough, it is a big part of what makes TD useful to me, personally, and I think more people would crit stories they enjoyed or hated or whatever if they knew they were literally allowed to, implicitly, at any time

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

also one particular core element of TD is that anybody can crit anybody's story, no matter how experienced you are, doesn't matter if you are brand new or if you've lost a billion times or the person you're critting has been doing this for 10 years, and I think that's a big contributor to keeping the crits honest and useful, there's no real pretension about any one person's crits being more valuable or valid than anyone else's. That tends to mean they are all be pretty genuine and useful, and also if you get one that doesn't really make sense to you or help clarify what you were trying to do in a story, well, it's just like your opinion, man.

I didn't even know this was true, I thought only people judging that week did that. That's pretty cool.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, most of the crits will be from judges, but everyone's welcome to post crits. The only etiquette thing is to not post crits before judgment, just because that can make it kind of weird for judges, but if you have something to say, please say it! Going through and critting some stories can be a good exercise in thinking about writing, too, and teach you things for your own work.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Shame I probably won't do the current prompt, since you can make anything this week by the look of it, but I doubt I'll be home in time to post. Unless I do my speed thing, and I'm trying to listen to crits here and like to think I've improved a little. The latest crits have been very helpful and thanks kindly for your time. Is there any rule for interprompts? I kinda like the concept of us posting whatever poo poo you come up with in a spare hour.

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Fat Jesus posted:

Is there any rule for interprompts? I kinda like the concept of us posting whatever poo poo you come up with in a spare hour.

Usually someone comes up with a prompt for interprompts and then people respond to them. They’re usually joke-y in tone, and rarely get crits unless someone feels like putting in the effort. If you’re looking for feedback on something you whipped up in your spare time, this thread or fiction advice might be a better place for it (or in the TD Discord).

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

From the main thread:

DigitalRaven posted:

Gimme the spin, kissed and told, this Thunderdome I'm in.

hey now, hey now now...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Fuuuuuck. I forgot to change “Plymouth Pharmaceuticals” to “Plymouth Petroleum” in my story so I now I have big pharma drilling for oil.

Uh. Yeah that was an intentional commentary on drug company … uh …. Overreach … or something. :smith:

BIGGER EDIT: my story 1496 words.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 17, 2023

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, most of the crits will be from judges, but everyone's welcome to post crits. The only etiquette thing is to not post crits before judgment, just because that can make it kind of weird for judges, but if you have something to say, please say it! Going through and critting some stories can be a good exercise in thinking about writing, too, and teach you things for your own work.

Oh I forgot that, sorry. I'll hold it back til judgment next time.
I got yelled at (ty) for my line spacing last time and I'm not sure I've got that art down.

Do we really get 11,111 words this week? lol

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fat Jesus posted:

Do we really get 11,111 words this week? lol

As always, remember that's a limit, not a target.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Doctor Zero posted:

:siren:Week 572 - Family Sagas ... Sagae? ... Saga's? ... STORIES - Detailed Crits inbound :siren:

Fat Jesus - The importance of Women

Rating: B
Nice introspective piece but resolves abruptly.

Notes:
- The dialect approach is good. Gave me a sense of the MC’s specific voice. Although it was confusing at first, it didn’t take me long to get into the cadence. Just a note here - some people hate reading dialects.

- I was suprised halfway through to find that “Pa” was the “Grandpa” and not the dad. Maybe it’s a dialect thing, but it could be made clear earlier. Somehow.

- There are a few places you declare and not show, like “Her disappointment hurt.” I mean, yeah I would think so unless I have reason to think the MC doesn’t give a poo poo. You could convey it a bit better, or make it more of a commentary since we’re in the MC’s closest POV (in their head). Think about how you think. Would you think “My mother is disappointed and it hurts?” No, you’d think “Ouch. That stung.” Or “There she goes. Again.” Or whatever.

- The MC seems to be unfamiliar with dementia. Maybe it’s because I had to deal with it myself IRL, but I knew what it was immediately. Neither good nor bad - just commenting.

- While interesting on its own, punch ip the conflict. What even is the conflict? How can you raise the stakes as the story goes along?

- Overall: it was nicely written, and conveyed the sense of a long line of ‘cowboys’ needing to be settled down. I actually liked the dialect. However, I feel the story wraps up very abruptly. “And then I went home and got married. The end.” I would like to see more of the process of how the MC’s dad and granddad makes them come around. Perhaps you could just hint at the change at the end instead. e.g. “Next time I visit, I’d like to have found that little woman who can tame my wild horses.” (Yes, that was intentionally corny and dumb. Don’t use that.) PS: Some people may object to a “it takes a woman to fix a man” themes. Personally IDC. Just keep in mind.

Thanks, you're much better at crits than I. It realised later the Pa thing would throw non- Australians off, but I seriously can't think of anyone who calls their dad 'Pa' down here, not since the great war anyway (actually most siblings are going to refer to their father as 'the old man', but not when he's in earshot, and this would probably add further confusion should there be a conversation between brothers, then dad shows up.). I should have made it more clear we weren't in Kansas anymore from the start. I'm glad you liked the dialect since my main concentration was to try write the way I talk, and I did grow up in a similar world, though it's not a real story. Maybe homespun country yarns will become my thing.
You also picked up a couple of things I should have seen, but sometimes it's hard to see when you wrote it and I appreciate that. I had some difficulties with dialogue last time, something set in Glasgow. One crit said it's too uh, scot, might put people off, another says I should have gone full Irvine Welsh. People like different things, not sure how you find a balance sometimes.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Chairchucker posted:

As always, remember that's a limit, not a target.

Do we get extra points for adding a birthday to the story? Because we should. Nothing to do with the fact mine contains one of course.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Fat Jesus posted:

Thanks, you're much better at crits than I. It realised later the Pa thing would throw non- Australians off, but I seriously can't think of anyone who calls their dad 'Pa' down here, not since the great war anyway (actually most siblings are going to refer to their father as 'the old man', but not when he's in earshot, and this would probably add further confusion should there be a conversation between brothers, then dad shows up.). I should have made it more clear we weren't in Kansas anymore from the start. I'm glad you liked the dialect since my main concentration was to try write the way I talk, and I did grow up in a similar world, though it's not a real story. Maybe homespun country yarns will become my thing.
You also picked up a couple of things I should have seen, but sometimes it's hard to see when you wrote it and I appreciate that. I had some difficulties with dialogue last time, something set in Glasgow. One crit said it's too uh, scot, might put people off, another says I should have gone full Irvine Welsh. People like different things, not sure how you find a balance sometimes.

Thanks! :wotwot:

The writer decides. Balance is an illusion, ultimately. Write for yourself as best you can, and people will come along for the ride or not. Even the most beloved books have people who hate them.

Pithy platitudes aside, if 80% of the readers have issue with something, think about it. if 50% of the readers have issue with something, that's the sweet spot IMO, because then it's totally up to you.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Doctor Zero posted:

Thanks! :wotwot:

The writer decides. Balance is an illusion, ultimately. Write for yourself as best you can, and people will come along for the ride or not. Even the most beloved books have people who hate them.

Pithy platitudes aside, if 80% of the readers have issue with something, think about it. if 50% of the readers have issue with something, that's the sweet spot IMO, because then it's totally up to you.
Well that sounds about right and I'll try not worry and just do what feels right next time I head 'overseas'.

sebmojo posted:

Bold your titles u reprobates
Oh ffs, I spent all Saturday night making things pretty and forgot that of all things

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Semi-quick analysis of my Week 579 submission, "The Wind In Their Bones": The story is a riff on anthropogenic climate change. We give hurricanes and tropical storms names as if they're people; what if they had identities/souls? The premise is basically that the souls of these people are somehow selected or ordained to become/fuel these huge weather events, and when you're chosen, your soul is plucked from the big cosmic pot and you're sent to a limbo-ish halfway house to relax and prepare for when your storm coalesces into being.

There's some clunky birth ritual metaphor in there somewhere which I was too timid to develop because I was sure I'd gently caress it up, but Eleanor's kind of a midwife/matron/bed&breakfast manager. These people show up, no real memory of any past life, only this vague sense that they're being prepared for some greater purpose, and Eleanor makes sure they're comfortable and composed and have their poo poo together before they get called up to the material world to rage around the ocean as part of the natural order etc.

Clem's periodic intrusions represent human influence on Clem it climate change. Scientists have been saying for decades that global warming is unlikely to increase the frequency of hurricanes, but will almost certainly drive an increase in severity and impact. These storms just want to do their thing as part of the natural order; Clem's egging them on and trying to get them to manifest with more anger and intensity. The chants used by the women represent nature's efforts to fend off Clem's interference and adhere to the normal flow of the natural universe, to avoid triggering a more cataclysmic event that isn't part of the natural order.

When Clem's trying to get under Bertha's skin, he's appealing to nature's fury at being mistreated so badly ("They're making such a mess of things, and nobody's doing a thing about it.") He basically spends his days going around to these different halfway houses trying to nudge these hurricanes into popping off early, usually by appealing to their resentment over nature's mistreatment by humans, stoking a desire for revenge. Eleanor's just trying to keep the women cool so their hurricanes spawn normally and on schedule; Clem wants flooded cities and mass destruction, though he frames this as justice ("You know you'd be putting things right," he appeals to Bertha.) Clem got a little muddy for me - on the one hand, he's somehow part of this natural order, but he's also kinda the devil, trying to corrupt nature into being driven by malice? I didn't worry about it story-wise: devil bad, poisoning planet bad, close enough.

This story was important to me because a couple months ago I spent two months on a grand jury for a trial about wildfires and had a lot of time to think about the impact of human activity on the climate and the checks that are coming due. Similar to hurricanes, scientists have predicted for some time that a) we can expect wildfires to get progressively hairier, and b) it's pretty much entirely our fault. At any rate there's ample evidence that nature's doing its best to compensate for our stupidity and trying to adapt to the changes being wrought by human influence. That struggle is the story in a nutshell, I guess.

rivetz fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 4, 2023

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Thanks again for your story rivetz I really enjoyed it and the explanation helps because I didn't connect Clem to anthropogenic climate change but now it makes more sense.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Just wanted to pop in and say I did my first Thunderdome submission in well over a year last week and it felt good to shake off the rust. I kept finding excuses to not write ~ which is ridiculously easy to do ~ and having T-Dome there to motivate me again was fantastic. I appreciate this community even though I'm not on the Discord (or particularly active lately). You all rock.

Flyerant
Jun 4, 2021

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2024
Hey does anyone wanna trade crits for this week? I've never written a silly story, nor a flash joke story. Wondering how the pacing is, and if the low word count helps the joke, or doesn't.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

For anyone that wonders if Thunderdome works, I just submitted two of my stories to publications for the first time!

They both were rejected, but that's how it goes.

Thunderdome success stories!

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Yeah! :toot:

I’m realizing this week with very low word count limits that I’m genuinely curious why poetry is banned from TD.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Poetry isn't banned as a rule. Judges make that decision on a weekly basis.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I suspect it's mostly because it's very hard to evaluate poetry against prose and this is predominantly a prose contest?

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

That makes sense. I guess I wouldn’t want to be in a position to give feedback on meter and form and other poetry-specifics outside “did this convey something interesting.” It’s listed so often in the exclusions I thought it was standard, not week-to-week.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
There have in fact been whole weeks of poetry! Week 23 comes to mind but there were definitely others

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

RIP Poemdome. :smith:

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Missed opportunity for Week 575 to be haiku week :(

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

Sonnet! Week!

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Shall I compare thee to a summer’s ock?
Thou art more rageful and more turgid.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I have abonend
the two 18teen boys
that were in
the bunker

and which
you were probably
saving
for the janitor

Forgive me

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Latest entry wasn't good but I've hit a point in my life where I've accepted I need to write the stupid stories that come into my head or die old and bitter about not exorcising them.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Quiet Feet posted:

Latest entry wasn't good but I've hit a point in my life where I've accepted I need to write the stupid stories that come into my head or die old and bitter about not exorcising them.

This is why Thunderdome is great. Also for forcing you to write even when you're not super stoked about what you're writing, which a lot of us just don't do once we leave school. At least not creative writing. It's good practice and also fun!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i wasnt confident about my entry either, i normally spend a looot of time working out an entire backstory for everything, but my thunderdome entry was just based on stupid wordplay and feeling inspired one evening. It may be incomprehensible nonsense as a result, I'm not sure

edit: it was fun though, and better for me to just get something out instead of honing the idea in my head till the whole thing wears way and i forget why i ever liked it in the first place

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Chernobyl Princess posted:

This is why Thunderdome is great. Also for forcing you to write even when you're not super stoked about what you're writing, which a lot of us just don't do once we leave school. At least not creative writing. It's good practice and also fun!

yeah i like what ya'll do here

i'm in my late thirties and i've never written anything creative-wise basically ever until last week in the thunderdome. i enjoyed it and would like to keep it going. i like the low-stakes but community-driven feel of it so far

shwinnebego fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm glad I jumped back in this week even though I'm pretty certain my entry is a load of hot poop