Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Hey there, friend, I see you got a word sword on you. You're gonna to have to check that at the door.

There are many things this thread aspires to be and just as many things it aspires not to be.

What this place is:

• This is a companion thread to Thunderdome. If you have participated, are thinking about participating in, or even just lurk the Thunderdome contest, this is a groovy, happy, place to post in. Can you be authentically decent? Good, read on.
  • This thread is a fine place to share story ideas for the contest of the week or even a place to complain that “JUST NOBODY GOT IT” if your story isn’t well received.
  • Maybe you liked a story from the Thunderdome contest and want to know more about the author’s intentions. Go ahead, ask here!
  • This thread is also a social companion to the very active and supportive Thunderdome discord. The goal is to bring that vibe back onto the forums.
  • Feeling the itch to write a story, but not necessarily the week's story? Say so! You may find some kind domer in a similar spot who will politely challenge you to a duel. Another onlooker may volunteer to judge this friendly contest. At that point, head over to the Thunderdome thread to make it official, and hey, we got a fun little contest going!
  • Do you like the prompt but don't want to submit to the main contest? Post here!
  • Are you considering entering the contest, but something is holding you back? You may need a nudge. We serve up nudges here, but only of the gentle and supportive kind because…

What this place is not:

• A kayfabe arena. Look, the cool cats over in Thunderdome may have fun swinging their words at each other and calling one another all manners of names (that rarely happens nowadays, anyway), but that’s not what this place is.
  • Related to the official proceedings of Thunderdome. Do not submit stories here for the weekly contest if you want them judged. Post entries in the main thread.
  • A venue to get unreasonably hostile about judgement rendered in the contest. If you have follow up questions about judgement, sure, go ahead, but if you’ve got lovely things to say to the judge… well that doesn’t sound very loungy does it? No thanks.
  • This ain’t a general discussion thread for any and all folks of other forums. Do you want to post pictures of your cat and nothing else? Well, you at least need to enter a week or two in the contest to establish yourself as a community member. It’s easy to do that! Just write a story for the contest! Otherwise, a degree of off-topic posting will be allowed and occasionally encouraged.

Generally speaking, we’re making this thread because this is a fantastic community full of kind and talented people. The contest that holds this community together has been going on for over a decade now, and we want it to continue. So if you’ve been intrigued by the concept of a weekly flash fiction contest but haven’t felt compelled to join, here’s a place to feel it out. Join us on the mission of writing and supporting others while they write. It’s a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

hey

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

silmarillionaire posted:

Made a new account just for writing to give me a bit of buy-in/be less self-conscious about what I write, and just signed up for my first T-dome :shobon:

Welcome, mysterious new writer!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I wanted to bring a discussion from Discord to this thread since not everyone does Discord.

In a nutshell, there's been an ongoing discussion about whether or not TD should move away from losses/dishonorable mentions. Where folks seem to have landed is that it makes the most sense to let the judges decide whether or not they want to have DMs/Losers, and if the culture shifts away from negative mentions, then that's that.

It was suggested by a few people that judges might want to indicate in the prompt post whether they intend to give DMs/losses. This isn't going to be made into a "rule", as such, but I think it would be helpful in determining whether people are more likely to enter if a loss isn't on the table. I guess if enough people do it then it de facto becomes a rule, and future OPs would reflect that.

For my part, I'm leaving this open to the community. TD belongs to everyone. Just wanted to make sure folks who aren't in Discord know what has been on the table for discussion.

e: and since I'm here at the top of the page: Here is the latest prompt.

Sitting Here fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 4, 2023

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Poetry isn't banned as a rule. Judges make that decision on a weekly basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
There have in fact been whole weeks of poetry! Week 23 comes to mind but there were definitely others