Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Unless it's from your editor or someone who really gets your work, critiques are just opinions about your work. Critiques give you more data points to think about. Just like, consider what a critique is saying about your work. If it rings true to you, then maybe the reader really did get what you were going for and their feedback is worth taking to heart. Ultimately though, your work is about telling the story you want to tell, how you want to tell it. Listening to critiques is only useful as far as it gets you to realize the work of art you want to make.

Some critique info is more concrete and relates to things like grammar, clarity, or factual accuracy. Those can be taken seriously more easily than critiques about style or subject matter or content. The "meat" of the story is what you are here for; wear it closer to your heart and make sure the core doesn't get torn away from you by suggestions that go against what you want to make.

In other words, it's about being measured in your receptiveness. Don't implement every single suggestion just because someone else told you they wanted it that way. Consider their suggestions and weigh them against your own sensibilities. This doesn't mean being belligerent or lazy and refusing to change your piece, however. When it comes down to it, if you really want your writing to be as good as it can be, you must revise it.

Examples of critiques I've gotten IRL:

Good critique - "The issue I have with this story is that it's taking place mostly in the narrator's head. The story is about things that have happened to the narrator, but they are just being recounted to us in the narrator's thoughts. Is there a way to narrate the story so there isn't this distance between the action of the story and the telling of the story?"

Bad critique - "Your story about transsexuals reminds me of my cousin, who had a sex change operation. You should have your characters visit Trinidad, which is considered the Sex Change Capital of the World!"

edit: the above advice also comes with the caveat that readers giving feedback about sensitivity issues (race, sexuality, ability, gender, religion, etc.) should also be taken seriously, though obviously it is ultimately up to the writer to act as they see fit.

Cephas fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I think we still need a third judge for this week. Any bites? If so please post in Thunderdome proper. Thanks!