Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

speaking of great prompts what's everybody's favorite past prompt?

could be either your favorite prompt you wrote a story for, or if your ego is an unbridled stallion, your favorite prompt you came up with

in true shitposting fashion I have not taken the time to figure out my own answer before posting this question

I like prompts that are more inspiration than proscription. So songs are good, first lines are good, anything where the prompt goes to the feeling of the story.

e: I'd also like my goddamn health to be better so that when I say 'in' to a prompt I really love I don't spend the next several days unable to write anything.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Idle Amalgam posted:

I will crit your piece.

Additionally as an open question. What's the best way to apply the advice from crits?

Often I feel like I just end up with a new set of expectations to try and meet. Is there any easy guide to "resolving" the issues highlighted by a critique?

e: not necessarily "easy", but kind of like a practical process for unpacking and applying the suggested recommendations from crits, or addressing a reader's specific issues? But also doing that while trying to increase a piece's appeal to a broader group of persons in general?

Whether Thunderdome or elsewhere, I don't try to apply the crits by rewriting the story itself — then again, I'm not polishing a piece for publication. If there's something specific to consider, about word choice, or a specific element that doesn't work, that's one thing and it's easier to figure out what the issue is. Or if it's not then since it's a targeted thing then you can ask for more targeted feedback.

If it's for the story as a whole, though? Can you see how the critter read it that way? And if you can, do you give two tugs of a dead dog's dick? It's entirely reasonable to pull a Dude and be all "yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man." Especially when it comes to comments about the feel or the overall structure, crits are as subjective as anything else. If a crit calls out something and you realise you could have done better, that's one thing. But if you don't, then gently caress'em. If they don't get (or don't like) the style you were going for, that's on them. And if they're particularly lovely about it, or pull the same nebulous stuff over multiple crits, call them out.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Excellent! I've been working on convincing a couple of people, but no joy so far.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

really the only thing that will get someone to yell at you in TD (at least in a non-kayfabe, earnest way) is entering repeatedly but not really taking any heed of crits, especially if the same issues are being brought up over and over.

edit: also I feel like we used to say this a lot but it probably mostly gets said in the discord: as long as you've submitted something borne of genuine effort, you've basically succeeded at Thunderdome. even a loss isn't a failure, the only way to fail is to submit nothing.

I haven't done many Thunderdomes, but yeah. It's got me back writing for fun and writing in time to hit the deadline is a huge thing. I know if I set my own deadlines I'll never hit them because the guy trying to crack the whip is a softies, and frequently drunk. Getting any sort of mention is significant, but entering and no-mentioning is plenty to keep me wanting to go. Then again, I'm also trying to keep an eye on what time I have in order to only enter when I have the time to do it. Still working on that, though.

But yeah. The gang-tag says it all. I write. I die. I write again.