Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

As a new person entering this week, my two cents are that the losses aren't what caused me to not look into it, but the idea that the criticism is brutal. But then on actually looking and reading the criticism, I found that it wasn't as brutal as I imagined it would be - hence actually entering this time. I think I just had preconceptions about it because it was a writing critique thing on SA and I can remember the 00s when such a thing probably would have been brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

I honestly quite like that there are loaers and DMs, and the amount of losers that keep coming back to write more. Part of the appeal once I realised the attitude is good.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

also one particular core element of TD is that anybody can crit anybody's story, no matter how experienced you are, doesn't matter if you are brand new or if you've lost a billion times or the person you're critting has been doing this for 10 years, and I think that's a big contributor to keeping the crits honest and useful, there's no real pretension about any one person's crits being more valuable or valid than anyone else's. That tends to mean they are all be pretty genuine and useful, and also if you get one that doesn't really make sense to you or help clarify what you were trying to do in a story, well, it's just like your opinion, man.

I didn't even know this was true, I thought only people judging that week did that. That's pretty cool.