Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Idle Amalgam posted:

Often I feel like I just end up with a new set of expectations to try and meet. Is there any easy guide to "resolving" the issues highlighted by a critique?

It's really up to you on how you handle critique, as it is your story. However, If you can, you can go with straight numbers.

When I have a piece ready, I am fortunate enough to have 3 critique groups it can go through. Typically I'll listen for the same words that repeat. (I.E: Start wasn't engaging, this character doesn't work, I was bored/confused at this line). If three people say its a problem, then I'll take a look. If one person says its a problem, I'll still consider their critique, but it's my story so I get to do what I want with it.

If there isn't a consensus, I.E: 3 people say its a problem, 2 said it was awesome. I usually say Ties go to the writer, and I'll decide what to do with it.

This gets more complicated when you are writing for a specific audience. I.E: In my group there are a lot of crime writers, so when I used the word "hedge witch" in a story, nobody had an idea what hedge witch meant. Since I'm writing for Fantasy writers, specifically for a witch anthology, I made the call to ignore their advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU