Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silmarillionaire
Jun 16, 2023

Made a new account just for writing to give me a bit of buy-in/be less self-conscious about what I write, and just signed up for my first T-dome :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silmarillionaire
Jun 16, 2023

Sitting Here posted:

Welcome, mysterious new writer!

Thank you!

Got home from work and had a look at my initial, incomplete 775 words after a night's sleep and

This is fun though, even if it's hard.

Edit: gave it a couple hours re-writing/polish and feeling less bad.

Is there a good site that'll convert rich text to BB code so I don't have to redo italics and stuff manually?

silmarillionaire fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 16, 2023

silmarillionaire
Jun 16, 2023

Thank you! There's a fair few snippets of inner monologue so doing it by hand was looking like a chore.

Doctor Zero posted:

Awesome forums name! :wotwot:

If anyone is scared of Thunderdome, don’t be. I’ve entered on and off since it started and it’s a good way to improve your writing. In fact, one of my stories that won Thunderdome was published in a MAJOR speculative fiction mag!

Thunderdome used to be pretty unrestrained but it was always (or at least usually) for humor’s sake.

Most important: if a story doesn’t get showered with praise as much as you think it should it doesn’t mean it’s a bad story. It’s good to experience how varied feedback is on everything. Nothing is universally acclaimed. But more importantly, good stories are rejected ALL the time for reasons that have nothing to do with the merit of the work. Maybe they bought something similar already, maybe they’ve seen too much of a certain thing, maybe they selected other pieces that work better together, maybe it was down to a coin toss and yours lost to something just as good, maybe they don’t have the space within a reasonable amount of time… etc etc etc.

In summary: :justpost:

Credit where credit's due, I found this one in the CSPAM username ideas thread. Every now and then I trawl that one and stick 'em in an Evernote note. Mostly for pub quiz team name ideas :v: (Come say "hi" if you're ever up against R. Guiliani, Attorney at LOL or Mavis Beacon Teaches Twerking.)

I think the last time I looked in on Thunderdome was some years ago, and remember it felt like the kayfabe wasn't really kayfabe in a lot of cases. Looking at it more recently, it's much more on my wavelength (and perhaps I've changed in the meantime as well).

I was reading the last couple pages of the writing advice thread and this is basically me:

Leng posted:

I've never been that person who's like, "I have so many stories to tell, they're just busting to get out into the world". I have the exact opposite problem, where I enjoy writing and creating but I never know what to write about.

I think the only piece of fiction I've written since teenage homework assignments was an ironic flash fanfic for a thread on SA a very long time ago. But I have always loved to read, and I love to write and edit; I try and do a bit of journaling every day, and writing emails to friends who are similarly minded/my partner.