Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022

Das Boo posted:

Yeah, you all say that but now she's dead!

Capitalism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Did you guys know that Michael Ironside gave up being Sam Fisher because he is a pacifist? That's Rasczak if you didn't know. Might tell you something about the intent of the movie

one of the all time great film easter eggs that I don't think anyone caught until the 2020s was a portrait of Hannah Arendt hanging up in the classroom

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The craziest theory I’ve read about Grease is that Sandy lay dying on the beach in the beginning and Danny was a psychopomp who showed her a “what if” scenario to take her mind off dying, which is the entirety of the movie. It’s also apparently an homage to The Seventh Seal where the knight is first greeted by Death in a similar setting. At the end, Sandy succumbs and sheds her earthly look to join Danny in Greased Lightning as the vessel that takes her to the afterlife.

It sounds dumb until I remembered Sid and Nancy ended in a similar way with Nancy dressed in white showing up in a driverless cab and taking Sid away.

Nah, they flew away because Greased Lightning was a wacky magical flying car and I’m sticking to it :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Das Boo posted:

Yeah, you all say that but now she's dead!

And is she smoking now? No.

Smoking, Alive. Not smoking, dead. :colbert:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

You Are A Elf posted:

The craziest theory I’ve read about Grease is that Sandy lay dying on the beach in the beginning and Danny was a psychopomp who showed her a “what if” scenario to take her mind off dying, which is the entirety of the movie. It’s also apparently an homage to The Seventh Seal where the knight is first greeted by Death in a similar setting. At the end, Sandy succumbs and sheds her earthly look to join Danny in Greased Lightning as the vessel that takes her to the afterlife.

It sounds dumb until I remembered Sid and Nancy ended in a similar way with Nancy dressed in white showing up in a driverless cab and taking Sid away.

Nah, they flew away because Greased Lightning was a wacky magical flying car and I’m sticking to it :colbert:

Lol I'm choosing to believe this now

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Kevin could have given the Pigeon Lady the leftover money from that envelope full of cash and credit cards and/or mentioned her to his loaded family to help her in her situation.

Instead, he gives her a tiny ceramic turtle dove and says “BYESIES!” before heading back home to his warm mansion.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

There are no ghosts in Field of Dreams. Only the dad can see them because he has lost touch with reality. His family reluctantly supports his insanity at the end so that they don't crush the spirit of their daughter.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Also, you're actually allowed to cry in baseball.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Also, Pedro Cerrano always had it in him to be a power hitter and never needed Jobu’s help.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

You Are A Elf posted:

Kevin could have given the Pigeon Lady the leftover money from that envelope full of cash and credit cards and/or mentioned her to his loaded family to help her in her situation.

Instead, he gives her a tiny ceramic turtle dove and says “BYESIES!” before heading back home to his warm mansion.

Another thing that hits different from that - just rewatched this and my girlfriend and I both reeled back when Kevin hugs Pigeon Lady.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

GolfHole posted:

There are no ghosts in Field of Dreams. Only the dad can see them because he has lost touch with reality. His family reluctantly supports his insanity at the end so that they don't crush the spirit of their daughter.

This is actually the plot, until Moonlight saves the daughter from choking.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was really young when I watched "Major League" and "Field of Dreams", so they merged into a new movie my head where the ghost team hits the road and plays other MLB teams.

I guess Major League hits differently, since the owner of the Athletics is currently running that same scam, only it's working out really well for him.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ritz On Toppa Ritz posted:

Another thing that hits different from that - just rewatched this and my girlfriend and I both reeled back when Kevin hugs Pigeon Lady.

I feel that the entirety of the third act of both movies could easily have been avoided had the Wet/Sticky Bandits just looked down at the floor and up at the ceiling before proceeding into a room.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

You Are A Elf posted:

I feel that the entirety of the third act of both movies could easily have been avoided had the Wet/Sticky Bandits just looked down at the floor and up at the ceiling before proceeding into a room.

Unfortunately someone already took the Situational Awareness Bandits gimmick, so by the thieves' code they're not allowed to.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I love how Kevin remembers it later in the movie but it’s a different take and the uncle is even nastier.

Lmao imagine saying that to your little nephew in front of the whole family.

All the way from the first page, but Kevin remembers everyone being nastier. He's traumatized because when he stands up for himself and confronts a bully, he's embarrassed, ridiculed, and punished for it. By his peers and by adults who should be supporting him. His bully gets away scott free. Pretty clear picture of how bullying becomes so prevalent.
That one really stands out to me as an adult.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I watched 40 minutes of City Slickers. I implore this thread to watch it. If poorly aged scenes give you an internal click, this movie with have you going like a Geiger counter holy poo poo

You Are A Elf posted:

Also, Pedro Cerrano always had it in him to be a power hitter and never needed Jobu’s help.

Jesus Christ actually can hit a curveball.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ProperCoochie posted:

I watched 40 minutes of City Slickers. I implore this thread to watch it. If poorly aged scenes give you an internal click, this movie with have you going like a Geiger counter holy poo poo

I thought city slickers was one of those movies that was already poorly aged the time it was released

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Wait, is City Slickers a different film from Three Amigos? I mean, obviously, but I just realised this.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

City slickers is a wild ride of massive tonal shifts. Billy Crysta is having a huge midlife crisis because he’s turning 38. And he pays for a great New York apartment and annual vacations by selling as time at a radio station

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Ritz On Toppa Ritz posted:

To contribute:

If anyone wants some interesting Star Wars history.

The Death Star trench run is heavily influenced by the British WWII movie The Dam Busters (1955).

But many people never heard or seen the movie.

My guess is that it’s because in the film there is a dog owned by one of the commanding officers named the N word with hard R. And many many many characters yell out the pupper’s name to give him pets.

It’s both hilarious and unnerving the first time you experience it.

I only know about this because of Pink Floyd's The Wall. I was of course on drugs and paused it to ask my friend "did he just say N-fuff-faffy?" and I barely managed to get a google search that confirmed yes. He indeed said N-hippity-hoppity with a hard hoppity because it was somehow the name of a dog in a popular TV show.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
That was an unfortunately-not-surprising pet name for a long time; I knew somebody with a cat with that name in the 80’s!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Remulak posted:

That was an unfortunately-not-surprising pet name for a long time; I knew somebody with a cat with that name in the 80’s!

I knew a kid whose family dog was named “sambo” and I didn’t get that until much later