Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
IRT Starship Troopers...

Did anyone ever read Armor by John Steakley?

https://www.amazon.com/Armor-John-Steakley/dp/0886773687

It was semi-Starship Troopers, but the protagonist realizes how effed everything is, but doesn't know anything else.
can't remember the exact plot, but I'm fairly sure we (Humans) were messing with poo poo that we probably shouldn't. As we often do.

e- i haven't read it in years. there is a chapter that is pretty tough that I skipped everytime after reading it once.
I might have to give it a go, though. I enjoyed X amount of years ago.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
my favorite part of star war troopers was when snake used an EMP on St. Boondock's home planet

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

That melancholy vibe is straight from the novel which deals a lot with aging (and the regrets that come with it) being a thing you should embrace and not avoid. For instance, the movie doesn't come out and tell you that Schmendrick's teacher cursed him with immortality until he learns to control his magic, and he truly considers it a curse.

IIRC at the end of the book, since he's performed magic, he can now start aging. And he's thrilled about it.

In both, I think it ends with the unicorn saying she can never fully be herself again, as a unicorn indifferent to age and suffering, because she's experienced love and loss of it, and she doesn't blame Schmendrick for it.

As a kid growing up with happy My Little Pony poo poo, I hated The Last Unicorn because it didn't have the happy magic. As an adult, it's a great film and book.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Convex posted:

I thought he gave it up because he had aggressive cancer

Yeah, he would have kept going if he had pacifist cancer.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Montague Tigg posted:

my favorite part of star war troopers was when snake used an EMP on St. Boondock's home planet

I know

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
While teenaged me enjoyed Can't Hardly Wait when it came out, and it still has a certain 90s charm, one of its major subplots involves The Nerds planning to bring down The Jocks by framing them for being gay. Then the main Jock was destroyed in front of everyone at a party by being called a homophobic slur. That...hasn't aged well.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Zugzwang posted:

While teenaged me enjoyed Can't Hardly Wait when it came out, and it still has a certain 90s charm, one of its major subplots involves The Nerds planning to bring down The Jocks by framing them for being gay. Then the main Jock was destroyed in front of everyone at a party by being called a homophobic slur. That...hasn't aged well.

shut up word I cannot say anymore because it is hurtful

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Are there really cliques in high school because as a kid, watching all these high school movies made me worry what group I'd be stuck in. Oddly enough other than a few sports groups, there weren't any main Clique Groups.

I love Mrs. Doubtfire but rewatching the movie now, like gently caress, the mom is right for wanting a divorce, just like the judge is right for making the verdict he does about supervised visits only.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

Are there really cliques in high school because as a kid, watching all these high school movies made me worry what group I'd be stuck in. Oddly enough other than a few sports groups, there weren't any main Clique Groups.

It's probably one of those things that really varies by location, at least within the US.

I was raised in New York City, and I went to a high school that was majority minority with students from all over the city. No real cliques, you just kind of made friends with classmates and/or sports teammates, and then got pulled into their circles of mutual friends. Nobody gave a poo poo who else you were friends with or put you down for being a nerd.

otoh, my cousin's kids are teenagers now in a little town on the Canadian border, and their small town high school experience sounds like it was pulled right from an 80s or early 90s teen drama. If you're in good with the goth kids or the drama nerds, the popular girls and football players will hate you, etc.

So I guess there's at least a kernel of truth in those films and TV shows.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
In my small very white town in central Washington state junior high was where you went through hell for not being a jock or whatever. That’s the age when kids are at their worst too

By high school that wasn’t a thing. Like no one cared if you werent a sports star or prom Queen or in student council

This was late 70s/early 80s

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIR68SbPg-U

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

They were supposed to be in their early 30s iirc

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ElectricSheep posted:

They were supposed to be in their early 30s iirc

Yep! Stu pickles is 33

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

In Face/off, how weird is it that the guy puts his hand on his wife and kids' faces to show affection, like right in their face fingers in the eyes. That must be incredibly annoying.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Arc Light posted:

I was raised in New York City, and I went to a high school that was majority minority with students from all over the city. No real cliques, you just kind of made friends with classmates and/or sports teammates, and then got pulled into their circles of mutual friends. Nobody gave a poo poo who else you were friends with or put you down for being a nerd.

All true.
99% high school media was bizarre to me. Teacher parking lot? STUDENT parking lot??? You bump into your teachers on the bus, or 6 blocks away in a store, they make fun of you if you cut class that day.

Private school was more clicky though. Unchallenged, from safer families/areas, smaller social circle, treated with safety gloves, trying to be hard after being around nuns while in their uniforms mommy ironed the night before, etc. Their private yellow bus would catch a light outside our public school and they would give the finger and trash talk (but not too loud bc the certified adult on board might hear).

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Cat Hassler posted:

In my small very white town in central Washington state junior high was where you went through hell for not being a jock or whatever. That’s the age when kids are at their worst too

By high school that wasn’t a thing. Like no one cared if you werent a sports star or prom Queen or in student council

This was late 70s/early 80s
Very white Western Washington absolutely had cliques always throughout my time in school, based on class$

Graduated in 85

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Spinz posted:

Very white Western Washington absolutely had cliques always throughout my time in school, based on class$

Graduated in 85

Yeah 1985 for me as well

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

blight rhino posted:

IRT Starship Troopers...

Did anyone ever read Armor by John Steakley?

https://www.amazon.com/Armor-John-Steakley/dp/0886773687

It was semi-Starship Troopers, but the protagonist realizes how effed everything is, but doesn't know anything else.
can't remember the exact plot, but I'm fairly sure we (Humans) were messing with poo poo that we probably shouldn't. As we often do.

e- i haven't read it in years. there is a chapter that is pretty tough that I skipped everytime after reading it once.
I might have to give it a go, though. I enjoyed X amount of years ago.

Yep. I specifically remember the scene where Dude A (not injured) grabs Dude B (injured). Their powered armor has a specific code that causes it to self-destruct in a massive fireball. Dude A punches the code into Dude B's armor. When Dude B realizes what's going on, he knows it's the only option, but is still pissed at Dude A for forcing it on him. Then Dude A tosses Dude B at the enemy colony. Results as expected.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

GolfHole posted:

Back when I was an impressionable youth and saw Starship Troopers and wanted to join the mobile infantry too (because kids who watch that movie almost all get the message wrong), the army recruiter I talked to told me that it was the most commonly-cited movie amongst potential recruits. Star Trek coming up second.

Interesting demonstration of the power of propaganda. As I’m sure most people in this thread know, Verhoeven grew up in Nazi occupied Holland and a few scenes mirror those in Nazi propaganda films such as Triumph Of The Will.

I also occasionally see people mocking the poor tactics and training of the soldiers in the film. To which the answer is why would you expect a fascist state to be well run or to have any regard for the lives of its troops? That’s what the shiny surfaces, crisp uniforms and slogans are distracting you from.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sImidxw4Mr8

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

limp_cheese posted:

The book also had some weird sexual politics.

It's a Heinlein book so you repeat yourself. Moon is a Harsh Mistress features line marriages where you have groups of differently aged people married to each other, so like 20 (80 year olds, 60 year olds, 40 year olds, and 20 year olds) people all married to each other but the marriage itself never dies because you keep adding another person when someone dies.

A key plot point in two of his books sees the protagonist go back in time, sleep with his own mother, and then bring her back to the future in order to marry her.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Interesting demonstration of the power of propaganda. As I’m sure most people in this thread know, Verhoeven grew up in Nazi occupied Holland and a few scenes mirror those in Nazi propaganda films such as Triumph Of The Will.

I also occasionally see people mocking the poor tactics and training of the soldiers in the film. To which the answer is why would you expect a fascist state to be well run or to have any regard for the lives of its troops? That’s what the shiny surfaces, crisp uniforms and slogans are distracting you from.

Yeah, I didn't pick up on that when I first watched Starship Troopers as a preteen. I just thought it was a badly choreographed action film with cheesy writing and excellent animatronics.

Going back and watching it again as an adult, it sure does hit different. I really wondered how I missed the constant fascist elements, right down to the military dress uniforms that were just SS uniforms with a couple of minor tweaks. Verhoeven really hits the viewer over the head, but evidently it was too subtle for the viewing audience.

Changed my opinion from 'lousy popcorn flick' to 'excellent social commentary.'

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Starship Troopers the book is basically Heinlein getting a hard on for ‘national service’ and how awesome it is to be a cog in a great machine.

The movie takes that literally and shows ‘buddy-look how nightmarish this worldview really is.’ But funnily enough that went over a lot of peoples heads at the time.

Also who could forget the co-ed shower scene.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

To contribute:

If anyone wants some interesting Star Wars history.

The Death Star trench run is heavily influenced by the British WWII movie The Dam Busters (1955).

But many people never heard or seen the movie.

My guess is that it’s because in the film there is a dog owned by one of the commanding officers named the N word with hard R. And many many many characters yell out the pupper’s name to give him pets.

It’s both hilarious and unnerving the first time you experience it.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz posted:

To contribute:

The Death Star trench run is heavily influenced by the British WWII movie The Dam Busters (1955).

My guess is that it’s because in the film there is a dog owned by one of the commanding officers named the N word with hard R. And many many many characters yell out the pupper’s name to give him pets.

TIL that's why the Daryl the Nazi likes that movie in Peep Show. :(

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Starship Troopers the book is basically Heinlein getting a hard on for ‘national service’ and how awesome it is to be a cog in a great machine.

The movie takes that literally and shows ‘buddy-look how nightmarish this worldview really is.’ But funnily enough that went over a lot of peoples heads at the time.

the movie was released four years before 2001 and people were quoting it when they wanted to sign up for the war in Afghanistan and it got played a lot on basic cable channels along with other films that were gearing up for that kind of war environment with a justification of 'they could maybe possibly be planning on attacking us' (True Lies, Top Gun, etc)

you'll also notice that Starship Troopers didn't have any actual military assets or uniforms, everything is fake future stuff, which went against the norm in Hollywood. films are allowed to use real military tanks, vehicles, weapons, even uniforms For Free, which is a great way to make the most out of a budget, but with the added caveat that the Pentagon gets final say in a films script and can make whatever edits or revisions they want

its a great example of satire that is well made and an audience that does not even attempt to look at it critically because it looked like everything else that was being released

(the terrorists wanted to steal the bearer bonds but no one asked why a corporation even had them in the first place and yet the FBI did nothing but help the terrorist's plot so that the money would become part of the global black market)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'm willing to believe that die hard was much more accidental satire just because the movie's primary hook is "the hero is not wearing shoes". in order to make someone like that look like the Big drat Hero it's basically a requirement that everyone around him be the most useless or malicious piece of poo poo imaginable.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I've posted about this before, but if the Starship Troopers movie trips you out in the post 9/11 world, I cannot recommend the novel of Wag the Dog enough. Forget the movie (1997), the book (1993, get a newer copy tho) is 90% different. It's not about a fake president starting a fake war, it's about GHWB faking Desert Storm to win a second term. As it says in the forword, after 9/11 it's like the GWB admin bought a copy of the book and used it like a manual for Afghanistan and Iraq. It's half funny noir thriller pagetuner, half absolutely horrifying reckoning of greedy, manipulative, American tribalism.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
GWB building the torment nexus

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

To contribute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNdb03Hw18M

This one has a bit of creative editing, but still...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NMfBKrdErY

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 26, 2023

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

In Starship Troopers, early on you get this scene of dead mormon missionaries having built an illegal colony and you're told the bugs killed them. Then later on you see how bugs actually kill people by ripping them apart and gets pretty clear the illegal colony was killed off by the government.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

To contribute:

All true, except the part about many people never seeing or heard of it. Surely it's one of the most famous British movies ever, and scenes from it are included in Pink Floyd The Wall, another very well known and remembered movie. The doggo's name is pretty bad yeah, but that's what them was like back then.

68-year-old spoiler: the dog dies

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Das Boo posted:

I used to think the ending of Grease was good because ONJ looks hot as hell, but now I think the message to change your identity for your scummy boyfriend is bad maybe?

3 A.M. Radio posted:

I remember on high school I had an English teacher who HATED Grease, for that exact reason. He thought it had a terrible message, and I don't think he's wrong.

From pages ago, BUT

I'm not trying to defend Grease of all things or anything, cause the movie does a terrible job of showing it. But at the end when they're at the fair and Sandra is wearing all the sexy clothes, Danny is also there in a letterman's jacket because he "lettered in track" after he started running track and field at some point earlier in the film. So the movie is trying to say something like 'they met in the middle and changed for each other - Danny lettered in track and learned to apply himself, and Sandra ... well started dressing sexy for Danny' I guess?

It's not great, but not quite as bad as people think?

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

Didn’t she also pick up smoking?

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Which is cool as hell!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

doing things for other people is called being selfless and it's good

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
note to self: smoking is selfless and cool as hell

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Montague Tigg posted:

This but unironically.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Montague Tigg posted:

Smoking cigarettes is awesome it shows you understand the power of consumer capitalism and chose to thrive under it rather than pointlessly resisting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yeah, you all say that but now she's dead!