Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
'nother Simpsons post:

The Frank Grimes episode. Because as a working adult you will no doubt encounter both sides of it:

- the Homer Simpsons who fail upwards, or really any time you have to deal with watching someone get promoted over you when you know you're the better candidate.
- The Frank Grimes types who overwork and hold an entitled attitude because of that and end up bitter and resentful at everyone else.

The whole thing is a harsh lesson that working hard and overcoming more struggles than others does not guarantee you success and being a prick about it only makes it worse.

it took me a bit too long into adulthood to realize I had the Frank Grimes mentality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
When I was a stupid child I thought the scene in Godfather Part 2 where they bring Frank Pentangeli's brother to the courthouse was just a way of saying "Look how disappointed you will make your poor brother if you rat on us, the mafia."

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
Hackers is 100% happening/happened except for the part where the kids win the day

by that i mean a billion dollar multi-national corporation threatens an environmental oopsie doodle to embezzle millions and tries to frame supposed hackers for the damage while using the FBI/law enforcement as lackeys.

'haha, theres no way a corporation would ever be this evil' we all laughed before being flashed by angelina jolie's ta tas, quickly forgetting the horrific scene of a random citizen's identity being manipulated so that they are lost to the prison industrial complex

OMFG FURRY fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 8, 2023

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I just watched Idiocracy again and pretty much all of it when contrasted against the updated backdrop of modern society.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
There sure were some boobs in that scene in Clockwork Orange when i was 12 but now the boobs kinda take a back seat to other things

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Jelly posted:

I just watched Idiocracy again and pretty much all of it when contrasted against the updated backdrop of modern society.

Someone in another thread pointed out that the characters in that movie were actually willing to acknowledge that they had problems and take the advice of people who knew more than they did (i.e. the protagonist).

It's a quaintly optimistic film lol

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Yeah, the president in Idiocracy had a huge problem that needed solving, so he found a much smarter person and took that person's advice.

Which, just, lol when you consider how actual politicians operate.

e: that's what I get for not refreshing the page before I replied

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

OMFG FURRY posted:

Hackers is 100% happening/happened except for the part where the kids win the day

similarly, "the Net" from like 1995 is very good and actually quite prescient in a lot of ways, it's a very interesting movie to watch in 2023

TheKub
May 11, 2006

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Ferris never hurts anyone.

It's been a few decades since I saw it, but didn't they literally steal a vintage car and then wreck it?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Brave mujahideen fighters in Rambo

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Every time AJ and Meadow act like spoiled little shits it grates on me. Meadow especially, she's so mean to Carmela all the time

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

You Are A Elf posted:

And a spoiled entitled rear end in a top hat. Movie is garbage when you’re an adult, and Sloane and Cameron deserve better.

I thought that when I was a teen and to this day have never understood the movie's appeal.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

TheKub posted:

It's been a few decades since I saw it, but didn't they literally steal a vintage car and then wreck it?

They stole Cameron’s dad’s Ferrari, but Cameron’s dad is likely abusive. They didn’t wreck it though. Cameron destroyed it after they brought the car back to the house because his dad loves the car more than him. After his day out with Ferris and Sloane, he realized that life had a lot more to offer. Destroying the car was his way of breaking free from his parents. Ferris sets Cameron free.

I used to also think Ferris was just an entitled douchebag, but he’s really about being your own person and being free and he shows that to Cameron. I think its a much more complex movie than it seems on its surface. The museum scene is profound, and the way Cameron stares at the Seurat painting makes me feel so sad for him.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The end of the "Commendatori" episode of The Sopranos, in which Tony, Christopher, and Paulie return from Italy.

Christopher Moltisanti desperately purchasing Adriana some Fendi item from the airport when he's spent the whole trip nodding off from heroin is relatable in a lot of ways it wasn't when it first aired. Not the heroin part though, thankfully.

Tony being aspirational and miserable after seeing how good life is in Italy, something he fantasizes about constantly, always a "grass is greener" type.

And finally, Paulie being so blissfully unaware and content with his own story being a simple one, despite living a relatively disgusting life in NJ. He says it at another point in the series about how he doesn't have "an arc" or something like that. He's almost nihilistic in his contentedness. As long as he makes his payments, hes good.

All three "hit different" these days.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This whole movie is a depressing nightmare. I love it.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Kinda left field but back when I was a child a lot of educational children's shows -- Sesame Street, Electric Company and Square One -- had more sophisticated humour sprinkled into them and when I go back and watch them now as an adult I get a lot more out of them.

Like the skits with Grover as a waiter. I love how the customer is clearly tired of Grover's bullshit, and it's funny to a kid but even more so as an adult since the body language and vocal tones are clearly delivering the "oh not this poo poo again" intent without using any of the exact words. Old Sesame Street (the collections of which are now marked as not being suitable for children for... reasons?) is great, and I remember reading that they specifically wanted to keep things as real as possible when they made it.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Poohs Packin posted:

The end of the "Commendatori" episode of The Sopranos, in which Tony, Christopher, and Paulie return from Italy.

Christopher Moltisanti desperately purchasing Adriana some Fendi item from the airport when he's spent the whole trip nodding off from heroin is relatable in a lot of ways it wasn't when it first aired. Not the heroin part though, thankfully.

Tony being aspirational and miserable after seeing how good life is in Italy, something he fantasizes about constantly, always a "grass is greener" type.

And finally, Paulie being so blissfully unaware and content with his own story being a simple one, despite living a relatively disgusting life in NJ. He says it at another point in the series about how he doesn't have "an arc" or something like that. He's almost nihilistic in his contentedness. As long as he makes his payments, hes good.

All three "hit different" these days.

Im Paulie

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Homer Simpson is the sole provider for his family and they are unrealistically well off in modern America, and potentially for even the era it came out.

Friends has incredible levels of rent control.

Lewis explicitly rapes Betty in Revenge of the Nerds.

Jim shares a nude non-consensually of Nadia in American Pie and she is punished and sent back to her home country. This is actually incredible hosed up.

Padme rejects Anakin's advances in a beautiful romantic vista location while consistently and casually wearing incredibly revealing and intentionally seductive clothing. There is a bit of a mixed message there. Her falling for Anakin makes sense when you think of her as immature.

Paulie Shore ruined a science experiment because he was a stoner loser who's buddy had to take a massive poo poo and he was rewarded for it.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 8, 2023

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Nice Cage's plan in Leaving Las Vegas

Not with booze tho, too difficult

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I now understand that a rich billionaire absolutely would build the cube from Cube

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Jim shares a nude non-consensually of Nadia in American Pie and she is punished and sent back to her home country. This is actually incredible hosed up.

I definitely blocked this scene out after the one and only time that I've seen American Pie. Thank you for reminding me why I never liked that loving turd of a movie

olives black fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 8, 2023

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Paulie Shore ruined a science experiment because he was a stoner loser who's buddy had to take a massive poo poo and he was rewarded for it.

When I was a teen I knew a guy who would rent Biodome every weekend. He would watch it at least three times before returning it. As a side note he was also a big fan of Faces of Death and a documentary called Executions, which I heard was actually illegal and the video store wouldn't have had it if it was a big franchise.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

American Pie did serious damage to the movie-making overall

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

I thought it was cool and badass when the lady cut her clit off with scissors in Antichrist, but now I lean toward it not being such a great idea. I mean, I don’t think you can sew that back on!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

olives black posted:

Someone in another thread pointed out that the characters in that movie were actually willing to acknowledge that they had problems and take the advice of people who knew more than they did (i.e. the protagonist).

It's a quaintly optimistic film lol

Oh definitely, Camacho identified the problem, found the best SME available, delegated maximum authority and terminated all blockers with extreme prejudice. He's the boss all of us wish we had.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

They stole Cameron’s dad’s Ferrari, but Cameron’s dad is likely abusive. They didn’t wreck it though. Cameron destroyed it after they brought the car back to the house because his dad loves the car more than him. After his day out with Ferris and Sloane, he realized that life had a lot more to offer. Destroying the car was his way of breaking free from his parents.

lol no thats not quite what happened. Cameron didn't destroy the car on purpose at all. he intentionally dented the car, kicking the bumper and grill in, and had that realization about his dad.

destroying the car was an accident that happened afterwards when he casually just rested his foot on the bumper, forgetting that it was going 80mph in reverse in their attempt to undo the mileage, causing it to go through the window and into the forest, which is when it was actually destroyed.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Seeing the twink towers collapse as an adult would probably make me lose my mind. As a 4th grader, seeing it on TV didn’t really have a deeper impact other than learning NY was really really far away and that some people dislike our freedom.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 9, 2023

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah, the president in Idiocracy had a huge problem that needed solving, so he found a much smarter person and took that person's advice.

Which, just, lol when you consider how actual politicians operate.

e: that's what I get for not refreshing the page before I replied

I would 100% vote for President Camacho today and that’s, uh, a take I never thought I’d have

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

As an adult I can truly appreciate the latent homoeroticism of 80s action movies

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

buglord posted:

Seeing the twink towers collapse

Sometimes bears can be really aggressive

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Earwicker posted:

lol no thats not quite what happened. Cameron didn't destroy the car on purpose at all. he intentionally dented the car, kicking the bumper and grill in, and had that realization about his dad.

destroying the car was an accident that happened afterwards when he casually just rested his foot on the bumper, forgetting that it was going 80mph in reverse in their attempt to undo the mileage, causing it to go through the window and into the forest, which is when it was actually destroyed.

ok you are right. Cameron owned it and was proud of doing it though.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Oh definitely, Camacho identified the problem, found the best SME available, delegated maximum authority and terminated all blockers with extreme prejudice. He's the boss all of us wish we had.

That's true, but I think the biggest thing is that he actually changed his mind when he saw evidence.

The smart solution turns out to be unprofitable and hurts the economy so they blame the smart guy. But then it turns out he's actually right, and he has proof, and so everything is fixed. Goddamn but is that not how it works in real life.

IMO, Idiocracy is a utopia because it presents us with a world full of well-meaning idiots. Nobody is smart enough to lie and bad actors who would intentionally embrace misinformation for personal gain have gone extinct.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
That dog waited for fry to come back but fry never came back because he was frozen ):

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
You should root for Ferris more now because the principal turned out to be a pedo IRL

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

By popular demand posted:

"Hold on Captain Ron and Weekend At Bernie's are actually quite hosed up when you get into it!

Revenge of the Nerds too."

Yet I’ve come to realize the true heroes of the Police Academy franchise were the leathermen in the Blue Oyster Bar, humiliating homophobes and fascists through the power of tango.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Pretty much everything in "Howard The Duck"

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
When the Pixar movie Up! first came out I was relatively newly married. I’m now married 18 years and I cannot watch the beginning. Wife and I switch channels as quick as possible.

That poo poo is SAD.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Robin Williams could have stayed married and seen his kids everyday if he didn’t decide to treat Sally Field like garbage and quit his huge studio voiceover job then trashed the house. Pierce Bronson was a saint for shrugging off that attempted murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
The original M*A*S*H is a dumb movie about a bunch of bro douchebags sexually harassing a woman and then playing football. The song is pretty good, though.

E: To be fair, I only saw this movie once, and that was years ago. But I distinctly remember, like, the whole first act was about teaching the "bitchy" nurse to know her place, or some misogynist bullshit like that.

BeastOfTheEdelwood fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 9, 2023