Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Richard Cabeza posted:

When the Pixar movie Up! first came out I was relatively newly married. I’m now married 18 years and I cannot watch the beginning. Wife and I switch channels as quick as possible.

That poo poo is SAD.

Greatest gut punch in movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

James Bond being an utter piece of poo poo to woman

and then getting them killed...

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Haha, Jeepers Creepers sure has a lotta shirtless young boys...

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

was excited to watch back to the future with my kid, then remembered that a key plot point is Michael j fox's mom being sexually assaulted at the school dance... Really sucked the fun out of that idea. Yeah they interrupt the sexual assault, but it's still a hosed up plot point to casually insert. So many "classic" movies and shows have poo poo like this that we'd all just chuckle at as kids

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
In The Wizard, teenaged Jenny Lewis just blatantly on-the-spot falsely accuses a man of molesting her in public. Luckily for him he just gets kicked out of the building rather than arrested (I think).

Not so lucky for him, he's later confronted by the girl's trucker friends, who proceed to beat him up.

When I was a kid I thought this was all funny cause they said "breast." Now I still think it's funny but more out of the outrageousness of putting this into a kids movie. (And also because the guy's defense is something like "No, I didn't touch her breast, she doesn't have breasts!")

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Richard Cabeza posted:

When the Pixar movie Up! first came out I was relatively newly married. I’m now married 18 years and I cannot watch the beginning. Wife and I switch channels as quick as possible.

That poo poo is SAD.

My late wife and I had no idea that was coming up. She had health issues, and that scene hit like a loving truck. I can't watch Up at all now.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

ElectricSheep posted:

I would 100% vote for President Camacho today and that’s, uh, a take I never thought I’d have

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
All the cop movies from like the late 70s to the early 90s def hit different, with police taking things into their own hands. Too many depressing recent irl examples of just that and I think the popularity of those movies helped get the US in that situation

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"If only we could cut these regulations, let these cops loose, let them do their jobs!" Yeah.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Mister Ed never could talk.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Piggy Smalls posted:

Mister Ed never could talk.

people must have been so dumb back then, you could have a show for adults about a talking horse and everyone loved it and it ran for like 150 episodes

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
star wars' space fascists were the bad guys originally but i thought they and their equipment were cool, now i think they are despicable but they are more popular than ever. what gives?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
It's hard to say "scene", but as a film studies studying, horror loving, working class kid who could drink to no ill effect, I watched a lot of American Movie thinking Mark was a a guy with a dream just fighting against his situation. And now I think he's a manipulative alcoholic who neglects his children, abuses his mother, has no gratitude for his best friend and can't discern between suffering and graft. Also Coven loving sucks.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I used to love horror movies as a teen/young adult, but now I hate them with a passion

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Air bud wasn't that good at basketball, all he could do was shoot and even then he wasn't exactly scoring much

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

Air bud wasn't that good at basketball, all he could do was shoot and even then he wasn't exactly scoring much

Some players just bring the locker room together, that dog's got intangibles.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Wasn't Air Buda boy? Which makes Air Bud:World Pup even weirder because they let a male dog onto a women's soccer team. Surely they could get him on that technically even if a dog can't play.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
There's a long history of pangender animal actor roles, Air Bud was just following in Lassie's footsteps

More on topic, the Simpsons set back public perception of nuclear power by more than a third of a century and we still haven't recovered

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

people must have been so dumb back then, you could have a show for adults about a talking horse and everyone loved it and it ran for like 150 episodes

there weren't many channels and the other options weren't much more interesting at the time

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
In Mary Poppins, after the chimney sweeps have left the Banks house and Bert is packing up, he has a scene with George Banks, where they sing A Man Has Dreams, to the tune of The Life I Lead, where Bert basically gets Banks to realise that he has misplaced his priorities and needs to spend more time with his children.

I always thought it was well done, but now as a father with a fairly demanding job and two adorable children of my own, it definitely has more of an emotional wallop.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Revins posted:

All the cop movies from like the late 70s to the early 90s def hit different, with police taking things into their own hands. Too many depressing recent irl examples of just that and I think the popularity of those movies helped get the US in that situation

When the hero cop or super hero threatens or tortures someone he "knows" is a criminal into confessing or giving up some vital piece of information. (That's always correct and not something that the victim of torture says just to get the torture to stop.)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

buglord posted:

Seeing the twink towers collapse as an adult would probably make me lose my mind. As a 4th grader, seeing it on TV didn’t really have a deeper impact other than learning NY was really really far away and that some people dislike our freedom.

(assuming you mean "twin") It happened when I was 14, and I have one diary entry dated September 10, 2001, and the next one is dated September 12, 2001 with no indication that anything had happened

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Twink towers prolapse

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Never forget

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

somehow, its way sadder now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRB-faOyUJI

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dragonstoned posted:

James Bond being an utter piece of poo poo to woman

and then getting them killed...

Goldfinger is a great re-watch. James Bond doesn't do anything productive in the movie.

Pussy Galore stops operation Grand Slam after she betrays Goldfinger by ratting him out to the CIA and changing the gas canisters
Felix Leiter disarms the bomb
James Bond expenses a bunch of trips to MI6 and cheats at golf

He's like Kurt Russel's character in "Big Trouble in Little China".

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Extra Large Marge posted:

Goldfinger is a great re-watch. James Bond doesn't do anything productive in the movie.

Pussy Galore stops operation Grand Slam after she betrays Goldfinger by ratting him out to the CIA and changing the gas canisters

Bond flipped Pussy (lol) by kissing her against her will.

So sexual assault wins the day.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

At least Kurt Russel's character kills the Big Bad. By looking like a buffoon and missing a knife throw. Which makes the Big Bad overconfident and absolutely not see the catch-and-return coming.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Disney's Pocahontas

1) Mel Gibson being cast as the White Savior who empathizes with indiginous folks (lolllll)

2) it looks like butt, their faces slide everywhere what is GOING ON Disney. the only ones who look consistently good in this film are the villains, who were allowed to be cartoons.

3) 90s liberalism - the indiginous folks defending themselves are depicted as just as 'wrong' as the white men attacking them in a war song that is just 'both sides - the song'

this poo poo doesn't hold up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YiAzyCzZzw&t=45s

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 9, 2023

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
A 90's Disney film that hits way harder as an adult though: The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Beautiful and powerful imagery. Extremely dark. If the gargoyles weren't in it there would basically be no humor. Frodo tries to burn down Paris because he can't gently caress Esmerelda. It's not even subtle, it's blatantly spelled out.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Disney's Pocahontas

1) Mel Gibson being cast as the White Savior who empathizes with indiginous folks (lolllll)

2) it looks like butt, their faces slide everywhere what is GOING ON Disney. the only ones who look consistently good in this film are the villains, who were allowed to be cartoons.

3) 90s liberalism - the indiginous folks defending themselves are depicted as just as 'wrong' as the white men attacking them in a war song that is just 'both sides - the song'

:agreed:

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

C'mon now he also got that woman who was helping Goldfinger cheat at cards killed didn't he?

Smik posted:

At least Kurt Russel's character kills the Big Bad. By looking like a buffoon and missing a knife throw. Which makes the Big Bad overconfident and absolutely not see the catch-and-return coming.

His shtick was that he was only "good" at things when he wasn't thinking about it and trying to be good/cool.

The knife throw is a perfect example of it, he tries to be cool and fails but absolutely nails it when the knife gets thrown back at him because its on reflex instead

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 10, 2023

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It wasn't funny at all when Jason picked up that girl in the sleeping bag and smashed her against a tree. It was murder and it was wrong for Jason to do that.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Disney's Pocahontas

irl john smith blew his dickoff

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It wasn't funny at all when Jason picked up that girl in the sleeping bag and smashed her against a tree. It was murder and it was wrong for Jason to do that.

:jerry:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

ChubbyChecker posted:

irl john smith blew his dickoff

good

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Sarah’s stepmother at the beginning of Labyrinth is friggin Barb Lahey in Trailer Park Boys. Frig off Barb!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Monsters University was a dumb movie but it explains why Randall is the way he is. For anyone that had the COLLEGE COLLEGE COLLEGE poo poo told to you for a decade or so, you need college to get a good job.

You're in college. Maybe you had to go to college to get a good job. So you take out loans or get scholarships, you bust your rear end to do your best, you get invited to one of the head frats, and you keep working hard. Your roommate is a loving natural at memorizing but he isn't getting ahead in class. In fact he and a bully get expelled for their fuckups. But you keep working on as hard as you can. Your ex-roommate pops back up and wants you to leave your frat to join his, but you got plans. You've worked hard, you aren't going to join a loser frat that could get you expelled if you lose the championship game.

But you do lose it. Now you find out later that the other team cheated, and that bully and your ex-friend get expelled AGAIN. Your frat probably kicked you out because you helped them lose the game. Whatever, you work more and graduate and you get your Dream Job with your hard earned degree.

And then one day those two assholes show up at your work. Now they worked their way up from poo poo detail, but suddenly they're your loving peers and they get mad respect and everyone loves them when they didn't even graduate?

You spent all that time and money on a degree, and in the end some rear end in a top hat bully gets to do your dream job alongside you because he's Natural Talent, which beats hard work any day. Doesn't matter that he flunked out of school or got expelled; he's chummy with the manager so he's in.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Valko posted:

I watched the Simpsons for over a decade before I realized Smithers was gay. It was 'Behind the Laughter' episode where it finally clicked, I was in my twenties.

He prefers the company of men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

skooma512 posted:

He prefers the company of men.

who doesn’t!?