Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Why it's that time of year again where we hotly debate our limited knowledge of pockmarked adolescents based almost entirely on stat lines and vibes, it's time for the 2023 NHL Entry Draft! taking place taking place June 28-29, 2023. That's right, a Wednesday and a Thursday this year thanks ESPN.

How Can I Watch it?

ESPN, NHL Network, SN, TVA Sports

ESPN will only air the first round which is on Wednesday, June 28, 2023 at 7:00 p.m. EST / 4:00 p.m. PST

Sportsnet and the NHL Network will show rounds 2-7 on Thursday, June 29, 2023 starting at 11:00 a.m. EST / 8:00 a.m. PST

Draft Order

1. Chicago Blackhawks
2. Anaheim Ducks
3. Columbus Blue Jackets
4. San Jose Sharks
5. Montreal Canadiens
6. Arizona Coyotes
7. Philadelphia Flyers
8. Washington Capitals
9. Detroit Red Wings
10. St. Louis Blues
11. Vancouver Canucks
12. Arizona Coyotes (from Ottawa Senators)
13. Buffalo Sabres
14. Pittsburgh Penguins
15. Nashville Predators
16. Calgary Flames
17. Detroit Red Wings (from New York Islanders via Vancouver Canucks)
18. Winnipeg Jets
19. Chicago Blackhawks (from Tampa Bay Lightning)
20. Seattle Kraken
21. Minnesota Wild
22. Columbus Blue Jackets (from Los Angeles Kings)
23. New York Rangers
24. Nashville Predators (from Edmonton Oilers)
25. St. Louis Blues (from Toronto Maple Leafs)
26. San Jose Sharks (from New Jersey Devils)
27. Colorado Avalanche
28. Toronto Maple Leafs (from Boston Bruins via Washington Capitals)
29. St. Louis Blues (from Dallas via NY Rangers)
30. Carolina Hurricanes
31. Montreal Canadiens (from Florida Panthers)
32. Vegas Golden Knights

Who is Eligible?

Ice hockey players born between January 1, 2003, and September 15, 2005, are eligible for selection in the 2023 NHL Entry Draft. Additionally, un-drafted, non-North American players born in 2002 are eligible for the draft; and those players who were drafted in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft, but not signed by an NHL team and who were born after June 30, 2003, are also eligible to re-enter the draft

That's right, the kids born after the 2005 lockout will be playing in the NHL next year.

What Makes This Draft Special and How Did it Get Corrupted?

Connor Bedard - C - 5'10" - 185lbs - Shoots R the best prospect to enter the league since Connor McDavid and Sidney Crosby. An out of the box franchise player and all around wonderful and beautiful human being that I love and cherish so deeply. Putting up pretty much unprecedented numbers at every level of the sports he enters the NHL with a level of fanfare few have ever seen. His draft year saw him casually put up 71 goals in just 57 games for the lowly Regina Pats as part of a 143pt season. He had 23 pts in 7 games at the WJC aged 17. A modern centre with quick feet, quicker hands and the best wrist shot possessed by a teenager he's the master of the newer 'slingshot' style of shooting that allows him to fire a full strength wristshot from almost any position of his stick. He should be the heir apparent to Alex Ovechkin as the perennial Maurice Richard Trophy winner. There is no amount of superlatives to describe just how high this guy's potential is. A 1200pt NHL career would probably be a disappointment. With generic, Sidney Crosbyesque good looks he'll likely be the face of the NHL for the next couple decades. He's from my hometown and I've followed his career since he was 14 and it will haunt me for the rest of my life that the Canucks didn't tank to get him.

So why is this bad? He's going to the Chicago Blackhawks. Chicago are one of the few sports franchises you can genuinely say it is morally wrong to support. They won lots of cups in recent years. They brazenly tanked specifically to get Bedard which they did. That's all sports though as annoying as it may be. No, the Chicago Blackhawks are uniquely awful because they decided that, rather than bum the good vibes of their 2010 Stanley Cup run, they'd flagrantly cover up the sexual assault of one of their young players by a coach. Then they'd write that same coach a glowing reference letter to allow him to take a job with a youth hockey program where he then sexually assaulted a child and is now in prison. The Blackhawks aren't sports bad, they're immoral lovely organization bad from ownership on down. Their total punishment for the most serious crime committed by an NHL team (maybe a pro sports team) in modern history? A $2M fine. A total that they made back more than twice in season ticket sales after they won the lottery to draft Bedard. The New Jersey Devils were forced to forfeit a 1st round pick for signing Ilya Kovalchuk to a fully legal contract. The Blackhawks should've been forced to forfeit this and several other first round picks. Instead the league decreed them good old boys and one of the NHL's most successful and popular franchises gets the greatest prize imaginable. Cool league.

Who Else is Available?

It's overall a very good draft year even if you remove Bedard. The other top prospects include:

Adam Fantilli - C - 6'2 195lbs - Shoots L

The Eichel to Bedard's McDavid. A fantastic player in his own right who'd be an easy lock for 1st overall pretty much any other year. A classic power centre he is a supreme playmaker and responsible two way player who never turns down an opportunity to drive the net. He's as complete a centre you can ask for and projects to be a franchise player in the Ryan Getzlaf mold for a very long time. He's an absolute lock to be taken 2nd overall by the Ducks.

Leo Carlsson - C - 6'3 200lbs - Shoots L

Your classic big Swedish centre, he's been compared to players like Nick Backstrom and Mats Sundin. He's a playmaker first and foremost and has a relatively complete game having been playing against men in Sweden's top league since he was 16. He played LW primarily in Europe but given his size and defensive awareness will almost certainly play C at the NHL level. It's expected he'll play another season in the SEL, but should come over for 2024/25 and slot into his team's top six.

Matvei Michkov - RW - 5'10 175lbs - Shoots L

If not for Russia becoming global pariahs, it's likely that Michkov would be contending for the 2nd overall selection but now there's talk he'll fall out of the top 5 entirely. A highy skilled winger, just like Bedard he's been projected as a top pick in this draft since he was 12 or 13 years old. A fast skater with world class hands and a bullet shot, he's a high level one dimensional offensive winger like Kiril Kaprizov or Patrick Kane. Unlike his peers at the top of the class he'll win no awards for defence, but some have said his wristshot is as good or better than Bedard's. He exploded in the KHL when he was traded to lowly Sochi quickly becoming a first line winger in the 2nd best league on earth. Further complicating things for the team that drafts him is the lengthy contract he has in Russia which runs for three more years. He's not eligible to play in the NHL until 2026/27 unless Russia lets him leave early (which is highly doubtful). Still, he's as high end a prospect you can ask for and a team patient about their rebuild will have a genuine star in a few years.

WIll Smith - C - 6' 185lbs - Shoots R

Willard Carroll Smith II (born September 25, 1968), briefly known as the Fresh Prince, is an American actor and rapper. He has received multiple accolades, including an Academy Award, a BAFTA Award and four Grammy Awards. As of 2023, his films have grossed over $9.3 billion globally, making him one of Hollywood's most bankable stars.

Draft Rankings

NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings
TSN Bob McKenzie's Draft Lottery Rankings
Sportsnet May 2023
The Athletic's Top 100
The Hockey News' Final Rankings
Elite Prospect's Consolidated Top 32

Let's yell at each other about 17 year olds folks!

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Flyers should draft Michkov, but they wont

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Buffalo could really use a defenseman but it feels like there's no shot Reinbacher or Sandin Pellikka are still on the board at 13. I do feel like the Sabres are a dark horse to take Michkov if he lasts that long, as their forward corps are stacked and they can absolutely afford to have him stay in Russia another few years, but I feel there's no way he makes it to 13 either. For the first time in a while now I feel like I have no idea who Buffalo will pick

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm loving this kid's highlight reel. Looks like he's a likely early 2nd rounder?

https://twitter.com/MitchLBrown/status/1666890051014496256

On the smaller side for sure as a d-man, but man what a toolbox (he's got some bite too, look at those fuckin hits).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If Michkov falls out of like the top 8 or so Kyle should try to trade up to get him.

I don't think Michkov gets past Washington, St. Louis, or Detroit though. Those teams are all unafraid of drafting Russians.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Yeah, I think the biggest intrigue for michkov is whether or not someone tries to trade up for him and when exactly they do it. Trading up to grab a #2 overall talent at #7 could end up being a really savvy move for someone

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Unlike most of these situations, I understand the hesitancy around Michkov. I very much doubt by summer 2026 the geopolitical situation with Russia will have thawed significantly enough that free movement of star quality players from the KHL to NHL will be given a hearty thumbs up. If he hits his potential as a star quality winger, the Russian government isn't going to let him leave their top league to a rival nation for nothing. There's nothing to stop him signing an extension and given he already took a long term contract to stay in the KHL it's unlikely he's hugely committed to making the NHL no matter what. With no transfer agreement, I can see them insisting on a massive transfer fee to bring him over and who knows if a $20m USD payment to the Russian government will even be permitted. If he doesn't hit his potential he's a one dimensional top 9 winger that you have to wait 3 full seasons for and selecting someone who'll be the same level who you have a lot more control over makes more sense.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Excited to not give a poo poo about the draft.

Ken Holland trade the other 3 picks you've got.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Excited to not give a poo poo about the draft.

Ken Holland trade the other 3 picks you've got.

That second rounder plus will almost certainly have to be used to clear out salary to resign Bouchard and fill out the roster. The Oilers have $6M of cap space with 6-7 guys to sign. It's possible they won't pick in this draft.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

ThinkTank posted:

Unlike most of these situations, I understand the hesitancy around Michkov. I very much doubt by summer 2026 the geopolitical situation with Russia will have thawed significantly enough that free movement of star quality players from the KHL to NHL will be given a hearty thumbs up. If he hits his potential as a star quality winger, the

This is kind of a positive outlook in the sense that sports bosses worldwide, since they are all worst scum, are very eager to take Russia back already to get their payments - even though nothing's changed about the war. I've watched summer olympics very broadly from 1988 and I wouldn't like to boycott next year if I see russian athletes there... but I will.

Porrima fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 10, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

That second rounder plus will almost certainly have to be used to clear out salary to resign Bouchard and fill out the roster. The Oilers have $6M of cap space with 6-7 guys to sign. It's possible they won't pick in this draft.

Nah they'll just buy out yamamoto if they have to.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/1667597596897017859?s=20

One of my favorite parts of the combine is the interviews, what are the odds Babcock reveals his answer to teammates

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

The Dirty Burger posted:

One of my favorite parts of the combine is the interviews, what are the odds Babcock reveals his answer to teammates

"If drafted by our team, who are the players you would immediately want to trade and why? Name names and cite specific on-ice offenses, where possible. Confidential? Of course!"

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Ohio is the earthly equivalent of purgatory so I guess that makes sense

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

Unlike most of these situations, I understand the hesitancy around Michkov. I very much doubt by summer 2026 the geopolitical situation with Russia will have thawed significantly enough that free movement of star quality players from the KHL to NHL will be given a hearty thumbs up. If he hits his potential as a star quality winger, the Russian government isn't going to let him leave their top league to a rival nation for nothing. There's nothing to stop him signing an extension and given he already took a long term contract to stay in the KHL it's unlikely he's hugely committed to making the NHL no matter what. With no transfer agreement, I can see them insisting on a massive transfer fee to bring him over and who knows if a $20m USD payment to the Russian government will even be permitted. If he doesn't hit his potential he's a one dimensional top 9 winger that you have to wait 3 full seasons for and selecting someone who'll be the same level who you have a lot more control over makes more sense.

I would get Columbus & San Jose passing as Carlsson & Smith are closeish, but if Michkov is what’s left at 5 I’m gonna be pissed when the Habs pass on him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Draft order is set. Montreal picks 31 and Vegas 32.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
It sounds like the top defensemen are starting to shuffle order and move up the board a bit. Reinbacher still sounds like the first D off the board, but that doesn't seem as firm as it did a couple weeks ago. Willander and Simashev are both getting a lot more attention. Simashev in particular is getting "best D in the draft" billing on couple recent lists. On the other hand, it seems like Sandin Pellikka is falling back a little bit. The talk around him is decidedly quieter in the last few weeks. I'm really interested to see Bob's final list in a week or however long it takes to come out.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah it seems a given the Canucks will be taking Wallinder now because you can't consider any player other than RD.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah it seems a given the Canucks will be taking Wallinder now because you can't consider any player other than RD.

Apparently they are also quite interested in Danielson, which makes some sense given their lack of centers in the org.

With all these D getting talked up all of the sudden, I think there could be some very high quality fallers landing outside the top 10.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Szechwan posted:

Apparently they are also quite interested in Danielson, which makes some sense given their lack of centers in the org.

With all these D getting talked up all of the sudden, I think there could be some very high quality fallers landing outside the top 10.

Management seems hyper focused on defence, but yes they need a centre just as much. Sadly where they're picking the best players are all left handed wingers. They'll probably trade down to clear a contract though.

Also god I hope you're not cursed to be a canucks fan like me.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

I was bored and went over the past 20 years of Montreal's first round draft picks and boy, it's bleak. Not always the pick themselves, but what's been done with them.

2022: Juraj Slafkovsky. Too early to tell.
2021: Logan Mailloux. gently caress off.
2020: Kaiden Guhle. Actually a great pick if he keeps on going like he has been.
2019: Cole Caufield. Homerun.
2018: Jesperi Kotkaniemi. Lost to a perfidious act of revenge.
2017: Ryan Poehling... lol
2016: Mikhail Sergachev Great pick. They somehow turned that into Jonathan Drouin.
2015: Noah Juulsen.... WHO???? Can barely stay in the NHL.
2014: Nikita Scherbak 6 NHL goals and then back to the Euro leagues.
2013: Michael McCarron. Whatever dude.
2012: Alex Galchenyuk. Oof.
2011: Nathan Beaulieu. Oof again.
2010: Jarred Tinordi. Good thing they didn't pick Evgeny Kuznetsov.
2009: Louis Leblanc. I don't want to talk about this.
2008: No Pick. They decided to get rid of this pick 'cause they REALLY wanted One Middling Season Of Alex Tanguay. The Canadiens' next pick was Danny Kristo... WHO?
2007: Ryan McDonagh. Hmm. You know what would be even better? Scott Gomez. Go for it, Bob.
2006: David Fischer. Not a single NHL game. To make things worse, the pick right after is one of hockey's best names in a while: BOBBY SANGUINETTI
2005: My Beautiful Carey, I Miss You So Much
2004: Kyle Chipchura lmao
2003: Andrei Kostitsyn Fine. Whatever.
2002: Chris Higgins Sure why not.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I forget that Alex Galchenyuk was even still in the league, but lol that he had 0 pts and -8 in 11 games for the Avs (presumably when everyone else was dead), PPG in the AHL regular season, then 0G 3A in 7 AHL playoff games. In fact he has 2 goals in his last 35 playoff games going back to 2015.

... and yet he's still the best pick in that 2009-2015 range.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I still can't believe Jarred Tinordi somehow found his way back into the NHL.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

eXXon posted:

I forget that Alex Galchenyuk was even still in the league, but lol that he had 0 pts and -8 in 11 games for the Avs (presumably when everyone else was dead), PPG in the AHL regular season, then 0G 3A in 7 AHL playoff games. In fact he has 2 goals in his last 35 playoff games going back to 2015.

It's really loving embarassing.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

eXXon posted:

The Top 4 picks in that draft all seemed to fade pretty quickly. Murray and Galch are barely still around, and Yakupov and Griffin Reinhart (lol) busted out pretty quickly.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
2012 was a really bad draft. A few great goaltenders (and Matt Murray), some dependable defenders, but almost nothing for forwards. There's Forsberg, Hertl, Teravainen, and then maybe Tom Wilson.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Twin Cinema posted:

2012 was a really bad draft. A few great goaltenders (and Matt Murray), some dependable defenders, but almost nothing for forwards. There's Forsberg, Hertl, Teravainen, and then maybe Tom Wilson.

Murray was great just long enough for me

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Murray was great just long enough for me

I think every team in the league would take a 3rd round goalie being briefly elite long enough to be a factor in a cup run

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Some drafts are like 2006 (Backstrom, Giroux, Kessel, Toews, Marchand). Other drafts are like 2012 (Forsberg, Hertl, Rielly, Teravainen, Galchenyuk). You never know what you're gonna get.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Canucks' first round picks:

2022: Jonathan Lekkerimaki - Had a horrendous draft+1 year
2021 No pick, Traded to Arizona for OEL. FFS Benning, you rear end in a top hat
2020 No pick. Traded for JT Miller
2019 Vasili Podkolzin - Hasn't developed at all
2018 Quinn Hughes - Home run. Benning gets no credit because he was the best player left on the board by a massive margin
2017 Elias Pettersson - See above
2016 Olli Juolevi - Injuries destroyed his career. Traded for a nobody that also hasn't done anything in the NHL.
2015 Brock Boeser - Great start, now a middling winger due to a back injury he never recovered from
2014 Jake Virtanen - Credibly accused of sexual assault by about 6 different people (I'm serious). Career is dead and gone.
2013 Bo Horvat - Home run. Canucks smart enough to trade him before his contract demand outstripped his abilities.
2012 Brendan Gaunce - Meh. He was the best player available in a bad draft.
2011 Nicklas Jensen - Complete bust. Played 31 games and hosed off to the KHL
2010 No pick. Traded to Florida as part of a deal to get Keith Ballard. Looked good at the time but Ballard was bad in Vancouver
2009 Jordan Schroeder - Mediocre at best
2008 Cody Hodgson - Had potential but was seriously hosed over by Vancouver's medical staff.
2007 Patrick White - Widely considered one of the worst Canucks' picks of all time
2006 Michael Grabner - A pretty decent pick that had a long career, mostly not with Vancouver
2005 Luc Bourdon - Died in a motorcycle crash after playing half a season in the NHL
2004 Cory Schneider - Great pick, eventually traded for the pick that landed Bo Horvat because of cap issues and Luongo being signed to the contract that never ended.
2003 Ryan Kesler - Home run. Traded for loving Luca Sbisa when we could have gotten Shea Theodore gently caress YOU BENNING YOU FAT SACK OF CRAP
2002 Kirill Koltsov - Never played an NHL game.
2001 R.J Umberger - Never signed in Vancouver, went on to have a pretty long career, otherwise. Traded for Rucinsky, who was bad.
2000 Nathan Smith - Who?
1999 Sedins

Yeah, for the most part Canucks' fans can just skip day one of the draft.

grack fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 15, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

In retrospect, the Cody Hodgson-Zack Kassian debate might have been one of the dumbest possible

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Zack Kassian is at least still in the NHL.

Hodgson retired in 2016.

That said, the only notable thing Kassian has ever done is swinging his stick at Sam Gagner's head and breaking the latter's jaw.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hey he became friends with McDavid and got really overpaid and then the Oilers had to give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd to get rid of him. That's something too.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

quote:

Hodgson’s one-year deal with the Predators ended up being his last NHL contract, as he discovered he had malignant hyperthermia (MH), a degenerative condition which produces rigidity in muscles, along with coronary stress. “I tore five muscles my final year (in Nashville). I’d bend over and the muscles would tear. It got pretty scary at the end, to tell you the truth”
drat I thought he had just been hosed from injuries.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Sorry boys, looks like it's settled

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I am a Ducks fan and very sad that we did not get Bedard.

Please tell me Fantilli is a good consolation prize

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

a neat cape posted:

Post/avatar combo

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

a neat cape posted:

Fantilli would be #1 if no Bedard in the draft. From what they say he is also a franchise center and really really good. Has a size too.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
Looks like a down year for rad names. I know Quentin Musty is expected to go in the first round, and it looks like there’s a dude named Matthew Mania in the 2nd/3rd. But it doesn’t seem like the usual bumper crop of names among the Aidens and the Kaydens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

AntiDepressor posted:

Looks like a down year for rad names. I know Quentin Musty is expected to go in the first round, and it looks like there’s a dude named Matthew Mania in the 2nd/3rd. But it doesn’t seem like the usual bumper crop of names among the Aidens and the Kaydens.

Oliver Bonk ain't too bad.