Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Hey he became friends with McDavid and got really overpaid and then the Oilers had to give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd to get rid of him. That's something too.

They traded a first in that they traded the 29th pick for the 32nd but man that contract fuckin sucked from the jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They traded a first in that they traded the 29th pick for the 32nd but man that contract fuckin sucked from the jump.

Being friends with Connor is the most lucrative position in sports.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
But is it worth it?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Holy crap, 2 goals 0 assists in 51 games this season. That sure is something...

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

a neat cape posted:

I am a Ducks fan and very sad that we did not get Bedard.

Please tell me Fantilli is a good consolation prize

Emetic Hustler posted:

Fantilli would be #1 if no Bedard in the draft. From what they say he is also a franchise center and really really good. Has a size too.

IIRC, Fantilli would be the number one pick from the last few drafts, too. One of the reasons why it paid to be bad this season, was because even if you missed out on Bedard, Fantilli is right there. And then you have Michkov/Carlsson/Smith as great consolation prizes.

Before last season, I thought Anaheim was set-up pretty well for the future with Zegras and Drysdale, to go along with some other nice pieces (Terry, McTavish, along with some other good prospects). Now they are adding Fantilli? Wow.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

AntiDepressor posted:

Looks like a down year for rad names. I know Quentin Musty is expected to go in the first round, and it looks like there’s a dude named Matthew Mania in the 2nd/3rd. But it doesn’t seem like the usual bumper crop of names among the Aidens and the Kaydens.

I thought so too, we were really spoiled with an all-timer like Jagger Firkus last year.

Looking closer there's some decent ones though:

Boston Buckberger
Hoyt Stanley
Hugo Hell
Salvatore Guzzo
Roman Kukumberg
Matthew Mania
Zaccharya Wisdom
Will Vote
Lucas Stockselius

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Szechwan posted:

Roman Kukumberg

Goddamn that's a blast from the past. I hope the Leafs draft this very creatively-named son of the all-time Toronto great.

(for those unaware, Roman Kukumberg Sr. was like Toronto's Jiri Dopita, except he only scored 8 points in 54 career games in the AHL)

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

IIRC, Fantilli would be the number one pick from the last few drafts, too. One of the reasons why it paid to be bad this season, was because even if you missed out on Bedard, Fantilli is right there. And then you have Michkov/Carlsson/Smith as great consolation prizes.

Before last season, I thought Anaheim was set-up pretty well for the future with Zegras and Drysdale, to go along with some other nice pieces (Terry, McTavish, along with some other good prospects). Now they are adding Fantilli? Wow.

If Michov wasn't Russian he'd be right up there with Fantilli with Winger vs. Center being the crux of the debate. From what all the scouts say, Michov is the only one even close to Bedard.

eXXon posted:

Goddamn that's a blast from the past. I hope the Leafs draft this very creatively-named son of the all-time Toronto great.

(for those unaware, Roman Kukumberg Sr. was like Toronto's Jiri Dopita, except he only scored 8 points in 54 career games in the AHL)

How the gently caress does Roman Kukemberg have a son old enough to be draft eligible?

Edit: oh, he was super overaged. He was drafted the same year as Ovie/Malkin but he's 43.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 20, 2023

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

pseudodragon posted:

If Michov wasn't Russian he'd be right up there with Fantilli with Winger vs. Center being the crux of the debate. From what all the scouts say, Michov is the only one even close to Bedard.

You’re right. My problem with Michkov is that I mentally put him below Fantilli because no one thinks he’s going to be drafted that high because of Russia.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

You’re right. My problem with Michkov is that I mentally put him below Fantilli because no one thinks he’s going to be drafted that high because of Russia.

Yeah, I don't think Anaheim (or anyone in their position would have the balls toactually take him but at the same time, if they did, I don't think it would be a mistake talent wise.

Like from a Ducks fan perspective I'd be like "Holy poo poo, that's a hell of a gamble, but let's go!" Rather than "WTF, fire everyone!".

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 21, 2023

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I will be surprised when the Sharks skip Michkov. Feels like they are the type of team that can afford to wait on his talent. I mean, it's not a huge drop from Michkov to either Carlsson or Smith, but Michkov is just that much better as a prospect.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
If you believe his early stats, he's basically Russian Bedard.

pre:
	Age	League	GP	G	A	PTS		
2018-19 14	U16 	7 	7 	3 	10

2019-20	15	U16 	26 	70 	39 	109

2020-21	16 	MHL 	56 	38 	18 	56

2021-23	17	MHL 	28 	30 	21 	51

2022-23	18	KHL 	30 	9 	11 	20
And the one time they shared the ice, they were basically equal.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

All of the NHL equivalency models I’ve looked at put Michkov in the same tier as Bedard. Is this fair? Is there any reason to believe the models are wrong on Michkov?

Because if he’s as good as the models say I think Washington needs to do everything they can to trade up for him. Or better yet just have teams 3-7 be morons and pass on him.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Here are the stats of recent Russian players in thier pre-draft season in the KHL/RSL

pre:
		GP	G	A	PTS	PTS/GM
Michkov		27	9	11	20	0.7407407407
Cherepanov	47	18	11	29	0.6170212766
Tarasenko	42	13	11	24	0.5714285714
Ovechkin	53	13	10	23	0.4339622642
Panarin		20	1	7	8	0.4
Malkin		34	3	9	12	0.3529411765
Nichushkin	18	4	2	6	0.3333333333
Kaprizov	31	4	4	8	0.2580645161
Kuznetsov	35	2	7	9	0.2571428571
Kucherov	8	0	2	2	0.25
Buchnevich	12	1	1	2	0.1666666667
Gurianov	8	0	1	1	0.125
Dadonov		24	1	1	2	0.0833333333
It doesn't always correlate to NHL success. Not sure what happened to Cherepanov. If he was that good, he should have been in the NHL right away.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
:mad:

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
:mad: :mad:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

There's a big difference in KHL teams. Michkov's success with Sochi is a good sign, but he was loaned from SKA because he couldn't get playing time. His numbers are nothing like Ovie's with Dynamo Moscow at the same age. Sochi were the worst team in the league this year, and that includes Kulun Red Star. He got force fed top line ice time and powerplay opportunity as SKA use Sochi as a defacto farm team. I wouldn't read too much into his numbers there, and the reports from early in the season with SKA were he looked out of place.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I really don't understand the Russian development model where the best rookies either demolish the MHL or get 4 minutes per game for the KHL's better teams but I guess it works just not for defensemen at all.

(yeah I guess some play in the VHL a lot but scouts are never impressed by good results there)

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Bob is revealing the top 32 people on his list on TV now with an additional 64 coming out later today I believe.

EDIT: list here

https://twitter.com/TSNHockey/status/1671910978705846273?t=jP4991aFRzurmibJHJA2nA&s=19

whatis fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 22, 2023

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

https://twitter.com/thesickpodcasts/status/1671270448410050561

Don't gently caress up the draft you assholes

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I love all these moron teams that are gonna pass up Michkov because they're too impatient to wait for him to come over.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

I love all these moron teams that are gonna pass up Michkov because they're too impatient to wait for him to come over.

It would be real dumb for SJ, Montreal, and Philly to pass him over for that. They aren’t gonna be competitive anytime soon, and Smith/Leonard/Reinbacher/Benson are going to take a couple years to break into the NHL anyway.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Benson being placed around 10 is real interesting. As much as I want Buffalo to pick a defenseman, if he's still on the board at 13 he's too good to pass up IMO. I think that kid is gonna be good

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

I think I still want Smith anyway, but the habs are one of the few teams that can afford to sit on Michkov's development for a couple years. In fact, whoever they take is gonna need the same amount of time.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I just want the Canucks to draft someone who isn't terrible.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

grack posted:

Are there any twins they can shuffle some picks around to draft this year? Seems to be one of the few things they can do. :v:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

Prepare yourself to be solidly whelmed by safe picks Tom Wallinder or Nate Danielson. Neither will rise about the bottom pairing or bottom six but boy will they appear in some NHL games.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Stiev Awt posted:

I think I still want Smith anyway, but the habs are one of the few teams that can afford to sit on Michkov's development for a couple years. In fact, whoever they take is gonna need the same amount of time.

I'd also prefer one of the centres, but at this point it doesn't feel particularly likely and it'd be insane for them to pass on someone with Michkov's potential

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

It is beyond unlikely that Michkov falls to Detroit but if he does and they don't pick him I will absolutely lose my poo poo

Will also be underwhelmed if they pick a defenseman at 9, but there's a good 10+ players I'd be perfectly happy with them taking

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

When asked to name his dream linemates Bedard came up with Crosby and Eberle. He could've picked anyone from history. He truly is the next McDavid.

Also because there's nothing to talk about Patrick Allvin did a press conference the other day where he specifically mentioned they were exploring moving up in the draft. It's not gonna happen, but it would be the most Canucks thing ever for the team to totally blow their draft position by overplaying the poo poo out of their stars in meaningless games only to give up significant assets to move back there.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Bédard grew up during a time when the world juniors was the most important hockey in Canada. Someone post the clip of Eberle scoring the big tying goal and Gord miller has a great call, and then Pierre Maguire jumps in and ruins it.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

It is beyond unlikely that Michkov falls to Detroit but if he does and they don't pick him I will absolutely lose my poo poo

Will also be underwhelmed if they pick a defenseman at 9, but there's a good 10+ players I'd be perfectly happy with them taking

I would like Detroit to take Tom Willander specifically to pair him with William Wallinder

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

tinstaach posted:

I would like Detroit to take Tom Willander specifically to pair him with William Wallinder

Poor Mickey.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duck Rodgers posted:

Bédard grew up during a time when the world juniors was the most important hockey in Canada. Someone post the clip of Eberle scoring the big tying goal and Gord miller has a great call, and then Pierre Maguire jumps in and ruins it.

He was three years old when that goal happened.

Eberle is just a beloved Regina Pat and he plays for Regina.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
It sucks that this year is loaded with forwards at the top end and not really any defenders (who seem to be grading out as Fine) because the defense in the Blues system is empty

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mike_V posted:

It sucks that this year is loaded with forwards at the top end and not really any defenders (who seem to be grading out as Fine) because the defense in the Blues system is empty

that means it's a perfect year to take a flyer on someone in the 4th round, because one of them is guaranteed to be an hhof lock down the line. the question is just whether your team gets them or not.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Mike_V posted:

Sandin-Pellika could still be there for the blues, and he could be real good. Probably a higher ceiling than Reinbacher and Willander.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

AntiDepressor posted:

Sandin-Pellika could still be there for the blues, and he could be real good. Probably a higher ceiling than Reinbacher and Willander.

I feel like the defenders this year are being heavily overrated because surely there has to be a quality defenceman in every draft class? None of Wallinder, ASP or Reinbacher have put up particularly eye-catching totals that would justify using a high pick, but it feels like a few teams are thinking that they have to. This is a year for forwards but some team is gonna end up with a Juolevi because you gotta take a defenceman in the top ten.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/RivardNHL/status/1673430266948501512?s=20
people are paid money to ask these questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Islanders interviewing him, huh