Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
These things are always absurd. Do other sports do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
You know whatever moron comes up with those questions is so proud of themselves too

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Spelling Mitsake posted:

the nfl definitely does.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

clean ayers act posted:

the nfl definitely does.

Some NFL manager asked a prospect “Was your mom a whore”

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Isentropy posted:

Some NFL manager asked a prospect “Was your mom a whore”

Multiple times, enough that they need an actual rule.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nfl-teams-questions-prospects_n_63dc0809e4b01a4363932cfc

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Davidson: You're on the ice, skating along, when all of a sudden you look back-

Bedard: What one?

Davidson: What?

Bedard: What stadium?

Davidson: It doesn't make any difference what stadium, it's completely hypothetical.

Bedard: But how come I'd be there?

Davidson: Maybe you're fed up. Maybe you just wanted to go pro. Who knows? You look back and see Andrew MacDonald, Connor. He's skating at the blue line-

Bedard: MacDonald? Who's that?

Davidson: (annoyed) You know what a pylon is?

Bedard: Of course.

Davidson: Same thing.

Bedard: I've never seen MacDonald, but I understand what you mean.

Davidson: You turn and pass the puck along the boards, Connor.

Bedard: Do you make up these questions, Mr. Davidson? Or do they write 'em down for you?

Davidson: MacDonald stands in place, the puck sails over the blue line, and he's beating his legs trying to turn himself to backcheck, but he can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping.

Bedard: (angry) What do you mean, I'm not backchecking?

Davidson: I mean you're not backchecking. Why is that, Connor?

(long pause)

Davidson: They're just questions, Connor. In answer to your query, every GM is loving stupid. It's a test, designed to provoke a Twitter response. Shall we continue?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Has anyone ever asked one of the prospects if they have stairs in their house?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

The NFL does and I'm pretty sure the NBA does as well. Not sure if MLB does but I'd assume so

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Good soup! posted:

Davidson: It doesn't make any difference what stadium, it's completely hypothetical.

Davidson: Maybe you're fed up. Maybe you just wanted to go pro. Who knows? You look back and see Andrew MacDonald, Connor. He's skating at the blue line-

Bedard: Do you make up these questions, Mr. Davidson? Or do they write 'em down for you?

Davidson: MacDonald stands in place, the puck sails over the blue line, and he's beating his legs trying to turn himself to backcheck, but he can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping.

(long pause)

Davidson: They're just questions, Connor. In answer to your query, every GM is loving stupid. It's a test, designed to provoke a Twitter response. Shall we continue?

This is loving great.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

Good soup! posted:

(long pause)

Amazing

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Good soup! posted:

(long pause)

lol

ThinkTank posted:

Has anyone ever asked one of the prospects if they have stairs in their house?

Somebody get rlam on the phone

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
99% of “nhl prospects” have refrigerators in their houses???

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/wallmaz35/status/1673371663092662274?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

New Tony D just dropped

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
sam cosentino is worthless

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

corn on the cop posted:

sam cosentino is worthless

I barely ever have to see or listen to this guy and barely pay attention to prospects outside of 2 weeks in December/Jan and a couple days in June, but I loving hate Sam Cosentino. He is worthless.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/darrendreger/status/1673754545669677062?s=46

Lol that Treliving has to sit in the stands until Calgary picks. I hope he runs to the table like the Ultimate Warrior.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i’d love to know if the whore thing was just to gently caress with them and test their mental fortitude or something or if they had like a 20-80 scale where “mom was a whore” knocked em down a few points

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

As a reminder, the draft is today beginning at 7:00 p.m. EDT / 4:00 p.m. PDT for the first round only. Rounds 2-7 take place tomorrow during the day.

Where to Watch

USA: ESPN and ESPN+

Canada: Sportsnet, SNNow, TVA Sports

I figure this thread can double as the draft GDT

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
In Wheeler's latest mock, he has Will Smith going to Columbus. He also has Michkov going to Philly.

Yes, I realize mocks are all useless. Just thought this was interesting because I figured Carlsson was a lock to go to Columbus, and that Michkov was dropping to Washington.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Friedman is apparently saying the Habs are willing to move down from 5 which is true madness. Don't ever trade a top ten pick, especially this year.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

ThinkTank posted:

Friedman is apparently saying the Habs are willing to move down from 5 which is true madness. Don't ever trade a top ten pick, especially this year.

But what if it can get you an Oliver Ekman-Larsson or a single season of Alex DeBrincat?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

But what if it can get you an Oliver Ekman-Larsson or a single season of Alex DeBrincat?

At least the Sens are gonna get something back for DeBrincat. The Canucks have 8 more years of cap rot thanks to that galaxy brained move by Benning.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

fancy stats posted:

Don't gently caress up the draft you assholes

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Seeing more mocks lately that have the Wild avoiding Sale - this comforts me.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

Ugggggghhgh. They are filled to the brim with young depth guys but nobody that would be expected to be elite. They have a chance to get one here and it sounds like they are going to pass it up for players who’s ceiling is another 3rd dman or second line center.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I hope the Habs fail to find a worthwhile deal to move down and settle on taking oh say Tom Willander #5.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
feels like if the Habs are serious about that then they feel the top 4 is gonna be Bedard and then some combination of Fantilli-Carlsson-Smith. so they’re selling Michkov.

which, c’mon JD. do some illegal tampering poo poo so that he signs here. violating both international sanctions and the CBA would be very funny

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I don't follow prospects and thus I don't know much about Michkov, but if he's a potential star that just has the known issues, then I know he won't fall to the Flyers or they'll end up picking someone else if he does. They should take the chance if he did by some miracle fall since they're not gonna be remotely good for 3-5 years at best anyway.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

If it was a given that Michkov was coming over in three years teams would be stupid to pass on him after pick 3. There's not a single team on earth that wouldn't need a seasoned 21 year old star on an ELC in 2026. I just don't think it's a given he's coming over then or ever.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ThinkTank posted:

If it was a given that Michkov was coming over in three years teams would be stupid to pass on him after pick 3. There's not a single team on earth that wouldn't need a seasoned 21 year old star on an ELC in 2026. I just don't think it's a given he's coming over then or ever.

Who was the last high profile Russian to bypass the NHL entirely? Its been a long time. Michkov might not want to play for Arizona but he will want to play for some team

Unless Putin puts his thumb on the scale then welp

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Unless Putin puts his thumb on the scale then welp

Besides that, Kaprizov took 5 years post-draft to actually come over (and yes he was a 5th round pick but he was widely acknowledged as a top prospect by the time he was 20). That's longer than many (most?) GM tenures.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

My issue is the geopolitics of it all. I find it highly unlikely Russia will let the star youngster of their highest profile team join the NHL without a fight. I would expect they'll demand a hefty transfer fee at least, and who knows if it'll be permissible to wire $20m to the Russian government then. It's a bureaucratic nightmare at the moment and unless you're absolutely convinced he's a game breaking talent who will come to the NHL no matter what, I can justify teams passing on him in the top 5.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
does anyone have a link to a stream for this?

please Habs take michkov

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Most of these gms of poo poo teams are worried they'll get fired before Michkov comes over so that's probably half of it too.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Ginette Reno posted:

Most of these gms of poo poo teams are worried they'll get fired before Michkov comes over so that's probably half of it too.

yeah its generally always true that GMS will make moves that are best for them and their job security and not the team. the only exceptions are new guys who have permission to tear it down to the studs and franchise legends

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

clean ayers act posted:

yeah its generally always true that GMS will make moves that are best for them and their job security and not the team. the only exceptions are new guys who have permission to tear it down to the studs and franchise legends

except for franchise legend Trevor Linden who got fired when he suggested they do a very slight rebuild

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

except for franchise legend Trevor Linden who got fired when he suggested they do a very slight rebuild

He’s now the spokesperson for a line of nutritional supplements for middle aged men! :smith:

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

ThinkTank posted:

yes that was very strange, vancouver treating linden poorly is out of character

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

I hope the Seattle kraken draft a good guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnDmLH6dTqk