Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Why it's that time of year again where we hotly debate our limited knowledge of pockmarked adolescents based almost entirely on stat lines and vibes, it's time for the 2023 NHL Entry Draft! taking place taking place June 28-29, 2023. That's right, a Wednesday and a Thursday this year thanks ESPN.

How Can I Watch it?

ESPN, NHL Network, SN, TVA Sports

ESPN will only air the first round which is on Wednesday, June 28, 2023 at 7:00 p.m. EST / 4:00 p.m. PST

Sportsnet and the NHL Network will show rounds 2-7 on Thursday, June 29, 2023 starting at 11:00 a.m. EST / 8:00 a.m. PST

Draft Order

1. Chicago Blackhawks
2. Anaheim Ducks
3. Columbus Blue Jackets
4. San Jose Sharks
5. Montreal Canadiens
6. Arizona Coyotes
7. Philadelphia Flyers
8. Washington Capitals
9. Detroit Red Wings
10. St. Louis Blues
11. Vancouver Canucks
12. Arizona Coyotes (from Ottawa Senators)
13. Buffalo Sabres
14. Pittsburgh Penguins
15. Nashville Predators
16. Calgary Flames
17. Detroit Red Wings (from New York Islanders via Vancouver Canucks)
18. Winnipeg Jets
19. Chicago Blackhawks (from Tampa Bay Lightning)
20. Seattle Kraken
21. Minnesota Wild
22. Columbus Blue Jackets (from Los Angeles Kings)
23. New York Rangers
24. Nashville Predators (from Edmonton Oilers)
25. St. Louis Blues (from Toronto Maple Leafs)
26. San Jose Sharks (from New Jersey Devils)
27. Colorado Avalanche
28. Toronto Maple Leafs (from Boston Bruins via Washington Capitals)
29. St. Louis Blues (from Dallas via NY Rangers)
30. Carolina Hurricanes
31. Montreal Canadiens (from Florida Panthers)
32. Vegas Golden Knights

Who is Eligible?

Ice hockey players born between January 1, 2003, and September 15, 2005, are eligible for selection in the 2023 NHL Entry Draft. Additionally, un-drafted, non-North American players born in 2002 are eligible for the draft; and those players who were drafted in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft, but not signed by an NHL team and who were born after June 30, 2003, are also eligible to re-enter the draft

That's right, the kids born after the 2005 lockout will be playing in the NHL next year.

What Makes This Draft Special and How Did it Get Corrupted?

Connor Bedard - C - 5'10" - 185lbs - Shoots R the best prospect to enter the league since Connor McDavid and Sidney Crosby. An out of the box franchise player and all around wonderful and beautiful human being that I love and cherish so deeply. Putting up pretty much unprecedented numbers at every level of the sports he enters the NHL with a level of fanfare few have ever seen. His draft year saw him casually put up 71 goals in just 57 games for the lowly Regina Pats as part of a 143pt season. He had 23 pts in 7 games at the WJC aged 17. A modern centre with quick feet, quicker hands and the best wrist shot possessed by a teenager he's the master of the newer 'slingshot' style of shooting that allows him to fire a full strength wristshot from almost any position of his stick. He should be the heir apparent to Alex Ovechkin as the perennial Maurice Richard Trophy winner. There is no amount of superlatives to describe just how high this guy's potential is. A 1200pt NHL career would probably be a disappointment. With generic, Sidney Crosbyesque good looks he'll likely be the face of the NHL for the next couple decades. He's from my hometown and I've followed his career since he was 14 and it will haunt me for the rest of my life that the Canucks didn't tank to get him.

So why is this bad? He's going to the Chicago Blackhawks. Chicago are one of the few sports franchises you can genuinely say it is morally wrong to support. They won lots of cups in recent years. They brazenly tanked specifically to get Bedard which they did. That's all sports though as annoying as it may be. No, the Chicago Blackhawks are uniquely awful because they decided that, rather than bum the good vibes of their 2010 Stanley Cup run, they'd flagrantly cover up the sexual assault of one of their young players by a coach. Then they'd write that same coach a glowing reference letter to allow him to take a job with a youth hockey program where he then sexually assaulted a child and is now in prison. The Blackhawks aren't sports bad, they're immoral lovely organization bad from ownership on down. Their total punishment for the most serious crime committed by an NHL team (maybe a pro sports team) in modern history? A $2M fine. A total that they made back more than twice in season ticket sales after they won the lottery to draft Bedard. The New Jersey Devils were forced to forfeit a 1st round pick for signing Ilya Kovalchuk to a fully legal contract. The Blackhawks should've been forced to forfeit this and several other first round picks. Instead the league decreed them good old boys and one of the NHL's most successful and popular franchises gets the greatest prize imaginable. Cool league.

Who Else is Available?

It's overall a very good draft year even if you remove Bedard. The other top prospects include:

Adam Fantilli - C - 6'2 195lbs - Shoots L

The Eichel to Bedard's McDavid. A fantastic player in his own right who'd be an easy lock for 1st overall pretty much any other year. A classic power centre he is a supreme playmaker and responsible two way player who never turns down an opportunity to drive the net. He's as complete a centre you can ask for and projects to be a franchise player in the Ryan Getzlaf mold for a very long time. He's an absolute lock to be taken 2nd overall by the Ducks.

Leo Carlsson - C - 6'3 200lbs - Shoots L

Your classic big Swedish centre, he's been compared to players like Nick Backstrom and Mats Sundin. He's a playmaker first and foremost and has a relatively complete game having been playing against men in Sweden's top league since he was 16. He played LW primarily in Europe but given his size and defensive awareness will almost certainly play C at the NHL level. It's expected he'll play another season in the SEL, but should come over for 2024/25 and slot into his team's top six.

Matvei Michkov - RW - 5'10 175lbs - Shoots L

If not for Russia becoming global pariahs, it's likely that Michkov would be contending for the 2nd overall selection but now there's talk he'll fall out of the top 5 entirely. A highy skilled winger, just like Bedard he's been projected as a top pick in this draft since he was 12 or 13 years old. A fast skater with world class hands and a bullet shot, he's a high level one dimensional offensive winger like Kiril Kaprizov or Patrick Kane. Unlike his peers at the top of the class he'll win no awards for defence, but some have said his wristshot is as good or better than Bedard's. He exploded in the KHL when he was traded to lowly Sochi quickly becoming a first line winger in the 2nd best league on earth. Further complicating things for the team that drafts him is the lengthy contract he has in Russia which runs for three more years. He's not eligible to play in the NHL until 2026/27 unless Russia lets him leave early (which is highly doubtful). Still, he's as high end a prospect you can ask for and a team patient about their rebuild will have a genuine star in a few years.

WIll Smith - C - 6' 185lbs - Shoots R

Willard Carroll Smith II (born September 25, 1968), briefly known as the Fresh Prince, is an American actor and rapper. He has received multiple accolades, including an Academy Award, a BAFTA Award and four Grammy Awards. As of 2023, his films have grossed over $9.3 billion globally, making him one of Hollywood's most bankable stars.

Draft Rankings

NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings
TSN Bob McKenzie's Draft Lottery Rankings
Sportsnet May 2023
The Athletic's Top 100
The Hockey News' Final Rankings
Elite Prospect's Consolidated Top 32

Let's yell at each other about 17 year olds folks!

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Unlike most of these situations, I understand the hesitancy around Michkov. I very much doubt by summer 2026 the geopolitical situation with Russia will have thawed significantly enough that free movement of star quality players from the KHL to NHL will be given a hearty thumbs up. If he hits his potential as a star quality winger, the Russian government isn't going to let him leave their top league to a rival nation for nothing. There's nothing to stop him signing an extension and given he already took a long term contract to stay in the KHL it's unlikely he's hugely committed to making the NHL no matter what. With no transfer agreement, I can see them insisting on a massive transfer fee to bring him over and who knows if a $20m USD payment to the Russian government will even be permitted. If he doesn't hit his potential he's a one dimensional top 9 winger that you have to wait 3 full seasons for and selecting someone who'll be the same level who you have a lot more control over makes more sense.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Excited to not give a poo poo about the draft.

Ken Holland trade the other 3 picks you've got.

That second rounder plus will almost certainly have to be used to clear out salary to resign Bouchard and fill out the roster. The Oilers have $6M of cap space with 6-7 guys to sign. It's possible they won't pick in this draft.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/1667597596897017859?s=20

One of my favorite parts of the combine is the interviews, what are the odds Babcock reveals his answer to teammates

Ohio is the earthly equivalent of purgatory so I guess that makes sense

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Draft order is set. Montreal picks 31 and Vegas 32.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah it seems a given the Canucks will be taking Wallinder now because you can't consider any player other than RD.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Szechwan posted:

Apparently they are also quite interested in Danielson, which makes some sense given their lack of centers in the org.

With all these D getting talked up all of the sudden, I think there could be some very high quality fallers landing outside the top 10.

Management seems hyper focused on defence, but yes they need a centre just as much. Sadly where they're picking the best players are all left handed wingers. They'll probably trade down to clear a contract though.

Also god I hope you're not cursed to be a canucks fan like me.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hey he became friends with McDavid and got really overpaid and then the Oilers had to give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd to get rid of him. That's something too.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They traded a first in that they traded the 29th pick for the 32nd but man that contract fuckin sucked from the jump.

Being friends with Connor is the most lucrative position in sports.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

There's a big difference in KHL teams. Michkov's success with Sochi is a good sign, but he was loaned from SKA because he couldn't get playing time. His numbers are nothing like Ovie's with Dynamo Moscow at the same age. Sochi were the worst team in the league this year, and that includes Kulun Red Star. He got force fed top line ice time and powerplay opportunity as SKA use Sochi as a defacto farm team. I wouldn't read too much into his numbers there, and the reports from early in the season with SKA were he looked out of place.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

I just want the Canucks to draft someone who isn't terrible.

Prepare yourself to be solidly whelmed by safe picks Tom Wallinder or Nate Danielson. Neither will rise about the bottom pairing or bottom six but boy will they appear in some NHL games.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

When asked to name his dream linemates Bedard came up with Crosby and Eberle. He could've picked anyone from history. He truly is the next McDavid.

Also because there's nothing to talk about Patrick Allvin did a press conference the other day where he specifically mentioned they were exploring moving up in the draft. It's not gonna happen, but it would be the most Canucks thing ever for the team to totally blow their draft position by overplaying the poo poo out of their stars in meaningless games only to give up significant assets to move back there.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duck Rodgers posted:

Bédard grew up during a time when the world juniors was the most important hockey in Canada. Someone post the clip of Eberle scoring the big tying goal and Gord miller has a great call, and then Pierre Maguire jumps in and ruins it.

He was three years old when that goal happened.

Eberle is just a beloved Regina Pat and he plays for Regina.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

AntiDepressor posted:

Sandin-Pellika could still be there for the blues, and he could be real good. Probably a higher ceiling than Reinbacher and Willander.

I feel like the defenders this year are being heavily overrated because surely there has to be a quality defenceman in every draft class? None of Wallinder, ASP or Reinbacher have put up particularly eye-catching totals that would justify using a high pick, but it feels like a few teams are thinking that they have to. This is a year for forwards but some team is gonna end up with a Juolevi because you gotta take a defenceman in the top ten.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Has anyone ever asked one of the prospects if they have stairs in their house?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

As a reminder, the draft is today beginning at 7:00 p.m. EDT / 4:00 p.m. PDT for the first round only. Rounds 2-7 take place tomorrow during the day.

Where to Watch

USA: ESPN and ESPN+

Canada: Sportsnet, SNNow, TVA Sports

I figure this thread can double as the draft GDT

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Friedman is apparently saying the Habs are willing to move down from 5 which is true madness. Don't ever trade a top ten pick, especially this year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

But what if it can get you an Oliver Ekman-Larsson or a single season of Alex DeBrincat?

At least the Sens are gonna get something back for DeBrincat. The Canucks have 8 more years of cap rot thanks to that galaxy brained move by Benning.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

If it was a given that Michkov was coming over in three years teams would be stupid to pass on him after pick 3. There's not a single team on earth that wouldn't need a seasoned 21 year old star on an ELC in 2026. I just don't think it's a given he's coming over then or ever.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

My issue is the geopolitics of it all. I find it highly unlikely Russia will let the star youngster of their highest profile team join the NHL without a fight. I would expect they'll demand a hefty transfer fee at least, and who knows if it'll be permissible to wire $20m to the Russian government then. It's a bureaucratic nightmare at the moment and unless you're absolutely convinced he's a game breaking talent who will come to the NHL no matter what, I can justify teams passing on him in the top 5.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

clean ayers act posted:

yeah its generally always true that GMS will make moves that are best for them and their job security and not the team. the only exceptions are new guys who have permission to tear it down to the studs and franchise legends

except for franchise legend Trevor Linden who got fired when he suggested they do a very slight rebuild

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

please do not try and make the players have personalities it's so bad

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Just a reminder that Chicago shouldn't be picking today

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I wonder if we're gonna see some new jerseys tonight

Anaheim is supposedly debuting one

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

Technically it would be sending money to Gazprom as owners of SKA St. Petersburg to buy him out of his contract but that's also probably illegal.

Gazprom is defacto owns by Putin and has been delisted from pretty much all markets outside Russia.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good job on the booing Nashville

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

stab posted:

If youre not getting askarov dont even think about trading that pick Hughes

Do not trade the 5th overall pick for a goalie.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

FootballFreak2 posted:

Everyone is mad at chiaco for no reason

Tbh I think they're mad about the rape cover-up

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

enjoy this $3000 guitar

I hope Poile plays a wicked riff and walks off stage

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Lol "you can do better than that"

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hey instead of talking about why Chicago shouldn't be picking let's watch that incredibly staged viral video made to rehabilitate their image! Fun!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Rigged bullshit gently caress Chicago

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

Connor Bedard is gonna bring the lessons that he learned playing for Team Canada to Chicago (how to play well enough to cover up an enormous sexual assault scandal)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kyle Davidson looks like a smarmy douche

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

hello darkness, my old friend...

Please NSFW that poo poo

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bedard dodging questions about the Canucks

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

deoju posted:

They just gave him a 98 jersey instead of 23, so looks like that's a done deal. :shrug:

He's always been 98 since he was a kid but there's no story to it. He wanted 87 for Crosby or 97 for Barzal but they were taken so he split the difference

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wow

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Man Columbus just got gifted Fantilli

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jarmo, if you take anyone other than Adam Fantilli, I swear to loving Christ.

There is no chance he takes anyone else. He is the 2nd best player in this draft.