Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

Unlike most of these situations, I understand the hesitancy around Michkov. I very much doubt by summer 2026 the geopolitical situation with Russia will have thawed significantly enough that free movement of star quality players from the KHL to NHL will be given a hearty thumbs up. If he hits his potential as a star quality winger, the Russian government isn't going to let him leave their top league to a rival nation for nothing. There's nothing to stop him signing an extension and given he already took a long term contract to stay in the KHL it's unlikely he's hugely committed to making the NHL no matter what. With no transfer agreement, I can see them insisting on a massive transfer fee to bring him over and who knows if a $20m USD payment to the Russian government will even be permitted. If he doesn't hit his potential he's a one dimensional top 9 winger that you have to wait 3 full seasons for and selecting someone who'll be the same level who you have a lot more control over makes more sense.

I would get Columbus & San Jose passing as Carlsson & Smith are closeish, but if Michkov is what’s left at 5 I’m gonna be pissed when the Habs pass on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

eXXon posted:

I forget that Alex Galchenyuk was even still in the league, but lol that he had 0 pts and -8 in 11 games for the Avs (presumably when everyone else was dead), PPG in the AHL regular season, then 0G 3A in 7 AHL playoff games. In fact he has 2 goals in his last 35 playoff games going back to 2015.

... and yet he's still the best pick in that 2009-2015 range.

The Top 4 picks in that draft all seemed to fade pretty quickly. Murray and Galch are barely still around, and Yakupov and Griffin Reinhart (lol) busted out pretty quickly.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
Looks like a down year for rad names. I know Quentin Musty is expected to go in the first round, and it looks like there’s a dude named Matthew Mania in the 2nd/3rd. But it doesn’t seem like the usual bumper crop of names among the Aidens and the Kaydens.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

I love all these moron teams that are gonna pass up Michkov because they're too impatient to wait for him to come over.

It would be real dumb for SJ, Montreal, and Philly to pass him over for that. They aren’t gonna be competitive anytime soon, and Smith/Leonard/Reinbacher/Benson are going to take a couple years to break into the NHL anyway.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Mike_V posted:

It sucks that this year is loaded with forwards at the top end and not really any defenders (who seem to be grading out as Fine) because the defense in the Blues system is empty

Sandin-Pellika could still be there for the blues, and he could be real good. Probably a higher ceiling than Reinbacher and Willander.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/darrendreger/status/1673754545669677062?s=46

Lol that Treliving has to sit in the stands until Calgary picks. I hope he runs to the table like the Ultimate Warrior.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

Friedman is apparently saying the Habs are willing to move down from 5 which is true madness. Don't ever trade a top ten pick, especially this year.

Ugggggghhgh. They are filled to the brim with young depth guys but nobody that would be expected to be elite. They have a chance to get one here and it sounds like they are going to pass it up for players who’s ceiling is another 3rd dman or second line center.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
Imagine if it’s Fantilli that ends up dropping to the Habs

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
Don’t gently caress it up

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
Aha gently caress me

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
Man what in the hell lol

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

Are there gonna be no trades this round?

Trades during the draft have been a letdown in the last number of years. Super boring

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Koopa Kid posted:

This guy was a projected third rounder but this puck is all Wes Clark and he’s done ok so it’s fine I guess

I mean he’s even named after hockey gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/ArponBasu/status/1674250187265409025?s=20

Drafting for need again. Same as it ever was.