Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
...and it was better than most of the other comic book movies that I've seen. The jokes were actually funny, for one thing. Why the gently caress does this have a 41% on Rotten Tomatoes, while all the Marvel poo poo is in the 90% range? I guess it was kind of manic and disjointed, but it's going to stick in my mind a lot longer than Avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I love that movie. So very, very 90s. :allears:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I remember Tank Girl being really fun, like The Fifth Element, although I haven’t seen the former since the ‘90s.

Should give it a rewatch.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

:frogsiren: LUNK ALARM :frogsiren:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's kind of a mess and Tank Girl delivers most of her lines in a rapid fire mumble. The mutant furry costumes are a little cheap looking too.

Still fun as hell, Malcom McDowell owns.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

tank girl is ann cusack’s finest film, easily

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

...and it was better than most of the other comic book movies that I've seen. The jokes were actually funny, for one thing. Why the gently caress does this have a 41% on Rotten Tomatoes, while all the Marvel poo poo is in the 90% range? I guess it was kind of manic and disjointed, but it's going to stick in my mind a lot longer than Avengers.

Tank Girl and Lori Petty rule. That was a fun movie

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Lori Petty is a real one, lots of respect there

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Pam Anderson was better as Barb Wire

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

Jesus. Just the worst opinion

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

What the

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I like Tank Girl.

Definitely the only movie you can see Ice T as a weird kangaroo thing.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I like Tank Girl.

Can't argue with that

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I went to a regional burning man festival where someone had bought the actual gunship from an auction or something and turned it into a decked out DJ booth. It was pretty wild tbh

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I went to a regional burning man festival where someone had bought the actual gunship from an auction or something and turned it into a decked out DJ booth. It was pretty wild tbh

I went down Emlin st on friday and the Folk Society of Philadelphia isn't there anymore. I know none of you care, but that sucks

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I went down Emlin st on friday and the Folk Society of Philadelphia isn't there anymore. I know none of you care, but that sucks

You're right. That does suck

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
I like the part in Norm Macdonald's book where he survives trying to OD on dilaudid and then watches Tank Girl four times, back to back.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Before she made "Twilight" and "Mafia Mamma" Catherine Hardwicke would do the best production design. She did Freak World in "Freaked". She did Peter Jackon's "Brain Dead". She also did "Tank Girl".

Catherine shows off her design

I wish Catherine Hardwicke still did bananas set design

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Before she made "Twilight" and "Mafia Mamma" Catherine Hardwicke would do the best production design. She did Freak World in "Freaked". She did Peter Jackon's "Brain Dead". She also did "Tank Girl".

Catherine shows off her design

I wish Catherine Hardwicke still did bananas set design

Freaked had Bill S Preston Esq. in it. I like that movie

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Tank Girl and Lori Petty rule. That was a fun movie

:hai:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

90s ice t was nuts

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Brother Tadger posted:

90s ice t was nuts

https://youtu.be/HlUQFDxJedg

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
My mom wouldn’t let me see it as a kid because it had a sequence in a brothel and she said brothel patrons were the worst people in the world, worse than murderers. Thanks for the neuroses, mom.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

It was a clusterfuck to make/finish, thanks to studio interference and mismanagement, and didn’t mesh with the comic book. That was why so many people hated it. At least, that’s the reason given by all the articles.

It is one of my all time favorite movies and introduced me to Jamie Hewlett’s art along with having a fantastic soundtrack. Also the animatronics in the ripper heads are apparently super high tech for the time.

Let’s see if the articles I read years ago are still locate-able.

gently caress. I can’t find the article where Hewlett talks about how all of those scenes he animated were due to poor planning/funding.

Also, I was 16 when that movie came out, so totally in the demographic of girls who really appreciated seeing a non-feminine female action hero (in a bonkers, artsy setting with humor)

Bored fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 11, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lol that movie 0wns

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I like Tank Girl.

It was his first big payout, too. Not his first movie, no, but the first really big paycheck. They paid him a million dollars to be a weird kangaroo so he'll always remember it as the first role he played that gave him real movie-star money.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Brother Tadger posted:

90s ice t was nuts

Gun to my head, I would have said that Ice-T was a mutant kangaroo in Johnny Mnemonic as well

Bored posted:

gently caress. I can’t find the article where Hewlett talks about how all of those scenes he animated were due to poor planning/funding.

:hmmyes: IIRC I remember hearing about the insane production hell the movie went through. :smith: it made Lori Petty stop doing major productions

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...y-a9436221.html

quote:

Her relationship with Booga, the mutant kangaroo she dates in the comic books, is also weirdly desexualised in the film, despite the production spending thousands of dollars on a prosthetic kangaroo penis during shooting.

#ReleaseTheIceTKangarooPenisCut

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Vampire Panties posted:

Gun to my head, I would have said that Ice-T was a mutant kangaroo in Johnny Mnemonic as well

You’re thinking of the hacker dolphin I bet

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I like Tank Girl.

Yeah but it didn't have a code cracking.....

gently caress YOU PERSON POSTING ABOVE ME gently caress YOU.

edit: okay that's not fair the true blame belongs to the person who first beat me to mentioning Johnny Mnemonic but I was typing my response and your post had images I could see.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 11, 2023

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Vampire Panties posted:

#ReleaseTheIceTKangarooPenisCut

Why are you trying to start a circumcision derail?:pretendmad:

Also, that kangaroo man penis was designed by Stan Winston studios.

And Booga was played by Jeff Kober, who looks like a villain so always plays villains unless prosthetic make-up is part of his costume. He’s good enough to constantly have work though. I had no clue he played Booga until I checked his filmography for his role in the walking dead several years back.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Smugworth posted:

the people upset over this take are outing themselves as having seen Barb Wire

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Jamie Hewlett did an interview a few years after the film came out where he described the screenwriter as a "cowboy-booted Los Angeles tit".

Not really apropos of anything, but it always stuck with me.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Payndz posted:

"cowboy-booted Los Angeles tit".

Stop doxxing my search history

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

He played the dolphin actually

e: beaten

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Jesus. Just the worst opinion

At least the NC-17 version opens with a 5 minute topless pole dance, it's fuckin sweet. I don't know what happens in the rest of the movie, but what a great directing decision.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Tank Girl owns.

Björk was originally supposed to play Jet Girl but she dropped out. I think because she got pregnant?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Pneub posted:

At least the NC-17 version opens with a 5 minute topless pole dance, it's fuckin sweet. I don't know what happens in the rest of the movie, but what a great directing decision.

To think my brother used to repeatedly rent this video and keep the intro secret from my mom. Now you can just search for it and lose interest before the video is over
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q1lrOX1CQc&t=20s

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Lol I totally forgot that Naomi Watts was Jet Girl for some reason.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Lol they forgot to film some scenes and said “gently caress it, animate it”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hey op I've got two words for you; BRUSH YOUR TEETH!