Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If the core of this is that defense contractors are making secret deals to get money for not doing anything or negotiating deals without oversight, it doesn’t really have to have anything to do with aliens.

It’s hard for me to follow the contours of the guy’s argument because he uses imprecise language for everything that isn’t about ufos, but isn’t the deal with him that he was denied access to the accounts of some offices that do defense deals and they were paying out unaccounted-for money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mediaphage posted:

i watched and enjoyed it. imo it hits differently than most of these sorts of things. i totally think he believes what he’s saying, to be honest. i’m confused as to why he’s do it otherwise. the grifting doesn’t pay as well as a defence job for a vet with a security clearance and a physics degree, if a bs (i assume).

so either he’s telling things that are true, if absurdly difficult to swallow, or someone wants this interview out there, which i don’t really understand. we already don’t have problems spending functionally infinite dollars on the mic, and i feel like there are plenty of easier distractions to cook up (especially since this wasn’t even really picked up by most news places).

i find ross coulthart to be more interesting. he says he was led to grusch by other government contracts, not the other way around. furthermore, he insists that people involved in this supposed recovery program are giving testimony to the igic (i.e., testimony that actually isn’t hearsay). i’m not saying he’s necessarily trustworthy, but i do find his push on this to be curious.

anyway i figure worst case it’s as fun to watch and play what-if as much fun as it is to think about what i’d do with a star trek replicator, so

Is it as simple as somebody not wanting there to be an office that has oversight on contractor things and so discrediting the whole department?

Where did grusch come from, anyway? I can’t imagine ever coming to believe that spacecraft from another civilization have crashed on Earth without actually seeing them and having actual scientists verify what I was looking at. Even then, the idea that I was being intentionally misinformed in some kind of conspiracy would occur to me way before I considered the possibility that aliens have crashed on Earth.

Was this guy big into ufos before this? Do we know why he was appointed the ufo investigation guy?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is it correct that nothing can be classified such that a senator doesn’t automatically have clearance to know about it? I’m sure that in practice, people just keep senators from knowing about things, but if it exists, they have clearance to see it?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, like Bob Lazar was obviously a guy who came up with what seemed like a good story and tried to sell it. This guy seems like he’s just describing what other people told him and he’s totally credulous about it. The only way I can make sense of it is that he already believed in all that stuff.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I want to know what Marjorie the Gathering thinks about space brothers. Abominations or grist for a polyamorous three-way between her and her husband?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lars! posted:

Absolutely. I am a general skeptic on extraterrestrials (mainly because of physics and biology), but some of the most intriguing UFO encounters are similar reports from US and Soviet nuclear missile officers that UFOs appeared over their missile sites and intefered with the electronics in their missile systems.

Reference data for a paper compiling US Air Force personnel testimony: https://inis.iaea.org/search/search.aspx?orig_q=RN:46130842

Soviet encounter summary: https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12318039.alien-encounter-sparked-soviet-missile-crisis/

Soviet equivalent to US Air Force project to study UFO phenomenon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_22

Doesn't mean anything on its own, but if similar things happen in the future I think it's worth beginning to consider whether something comprehensible is happening (some kind of entity/ies trying to interfere or intervene in matters of species or biosphere survival).

If so they’re doing a real bad job because the apes they’re messing with have been cooking the planet for 30 years and there aren’t going to be very many species or biospheres left after too much longer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

Considering that the Soviet encounter is described as this...

... humanity's survival doesn't appear to be the direction they're leaning.

If they wanted to save the biosphere, they probably should have exterminated all humans like 100 years ago tbh.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, right there you've got three words in a row that show immense limitations in what you are even conceptually capable of recognizing from some theoretical alien intelligence. "Technological", "spacefaring", and "civilization". We have no fundamental understanding of what these things might even mean outside of a human context, or if such things are purely human concepts that could not apply to some other intelligence.

The fundamental flaw of all the SETI type programs is that they are ultimately looking for some version of us out there. And pretty much the only guarantee we will have if there is any type of intelligence located outside of our solar system is that they will be nothing at all like us.

EDIT:

Yeah, that is the handwaving away via the fairy tale of "hyperintelligence". Surely they'll just be smart enough to figure it out, right?

That's why I think the whale thought experiment is a place to start. There are other species on the plant with big/complex enough brains that they could be proxies for some potential alien. We can experiment with ways of communicating with them, and once we have expanded our concept of communication sufficiently that we are able to successfully convey sufficiently-advanced concepts to these other species, then we might have a shot at doing it with some intelligence that might exist off-world.

Yeah, I think seti people have thought about that before though. The gold records are not a serious attempt at communication because everyone on the project understood that no intelligence will ever encounter them.

It’s not a flaw that seti is looking for intelligence that does things we know to look for: they’re very clear that they do that because those things are the only things we are able to look for right now. How do you look for something you could never have conceived of before you encountered it?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

Or, you know, let's spend $100M on research that might move the needle on the crisis in cosmology and actually advance human understanding of the universe, rather than indulging in a fantasy.

What makes you think that money not spent on A will necessarily be spent on B, or spent at all?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah I don’t know, it kind of seems like a sloppy troll, turning criticism of ufo beliefs back on an empirical endeavor deemed reasonable by people who dismiss ufo beliefs as lacking in evidence. Who knows for sure?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lifroc posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended the Ezra Klein podcast with Leslie Kean on the recent UFO revelations.. (or was it on another thread?)

Basically she just proved she's never heard of confirmation bias, and mistakes 3rd hand information for truth.

I can go back to ignoring any more UFO reporting until the next "info dump". Starting to think this is govt. psyops, to track how gullible the American people are or putting idiot juice in their water supply, measuring how many more off the average start to believe in conspiracy theories.

It’s just a sign of the ongoing collapse of a decadent empire, like how Romans got really into fortune-telling near the end.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

cat botherer posted:

Apparently a big part of it is being able to exclude other sources of detectable waves, especially from black hole mergers.

Also this came out today:
https://thehill.com/opinion/technology/4067865-congress-doubles-down-on-explosive-claims-of-illegal-ufo-retrieval-programs/

If you’re a senator and someone showed you proof that the US has spaceships from a civilization on another planet, how is your next response anything other than calling the president to demand a detachment of national guard soldiers to liberate that fucker and immediately put it on every tv channel? Writing a provision in a funding bill to exclude reverse-engineering of a captured spacecraft doesn’t even make sense, unless there’s just a “show it to congress first” provision. But what would they want to be done with one, just throw it out or something?

This whole thing is so stupid but just won’t end. Is it just a way to prove how many Americans are gullible morons? I already knew Rubio was a moron. Somebody get a quote from Trump and see if he blurts anything out about the space brothers agreeing to save him from jail.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He’s completely ruined Event Horizon because it’s like he’s the cohost now and all they talk about are hypothetical ufo scenarios.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nessus posted:

Oh hey new space thread.

I can’t make heads or tails of the latest UAP stuff and it reads to me as more saying “it’s okay to report weird poo poo because it could be Chinese spy drones”.

If they are aliens let’s use our strategic store of arguments against space interference to shame them into giving up the cargo.

It’s the same as every time: there’s a lot of talk but no evidence.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s nothing until there’s incontrovertible proof that it’s something. If aliens were visiting the Earth, wouldn’t literally anything be different? If alien technology has been in the hands of the US and its contractors for ~100 years and they’ve never been able to learn anything from it, what difference would it make? I wish I knew what this guy was actually being prevented from learning about.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

So, if the claims put forth are taken at face value -- what Grusch had said about these UAP capabilities defying known laws of physics and so on -- then what that would imply is that all our known laws of physics and science are wrong, on a fundamental level. All of the Standard Model and General Relativity, which have been tested at accuracies up to one part in one hundred trillion and one part in ten trillion respectively, are essentially bullshit. We would need to rewrite everything from Newton on up. In fact, probably the basis of what we understand to be rationality itself would be undermined.

I feel like if that was true, I'd feel incredibly sad and mournful.

Science doesn’t really work that way. The dude’s lying and there aren’t any ufos, but if there were then whatever physics they’re doing would have to be compatible with what we know is true. GPS doesn’t invalidate anything in newtonian mechanics just because it requires relativity to operate, just like Mercury’s orbit doesn’t prove that gravity is false. Anything you can do with Newtonian physics is still possible.

We already know that our current models are getting something wrong, since relativity and the standard model of particle physics are incompatible. Probably we’ll be able to do some cool new poo poo once we figure out what’s incomplete between them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The answer would be something like “the ufos aren’t technically objects with mass” or “the ufos aren’t technically moving through space” but actually shadows from a higher physical dimension or are made of weakly interacting particles or something. Just because you see something that should be impossible doesn’t mean that what you know is wrong—it just means that one of your premises needs adjustment. The answer would just be that what seems apparent, that an object is moving through the atmosphere in ways that would make it really hot or cause sonic booms etc, isn’t technically correct.

That’s also the answer for what’s actually happening in those videos: in-camera effects like parallax shift or whatever make one thing appear to be another thing doing things it’s not actually doing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It would have been out of communication range within a few years anyway, but that sucks for whatever we could learn about interstellar space in that time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If there were a precursor civilization on the Earth hundreds of millions of years ago, we would be able to tell because they would have used up all the oil and already mined a bunch of things interesting to us, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Libluini posted:

Not if they were psionic. We don't have any way to detect the residue of magic spells, after all.

I thought fairy screams left a unique phosphorus isotope when terror-based.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

Beyond the Oort Cloud, on the distant edges of the Kuiper Belt, both probes will inevitably fall silent as the power of their generators run out of juice.

Isn’t the Kuiper Belt like light years closer to the sun than the Oort Cloud?

There’s no way we’re still getting Voyager data in a thousand years or whenever that thing hits the Oort Cloud.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_sexology

quote:

Dubé and colleagues (2021) proposed that technological systems and guidelines enabling intimacy and sexuality in the limiting artificial ecosystems of space will need to be created.[1] They describe that these systems and guidelines will likely need to be designed to be both safe and hygienic, similar to the already established systems in place for other basic needs such as eating and grooming.[1] They also suggest that this challenge can be addressed by space organizations by considering the use of sexual technology adapted for space to meet the intimate needs of their astronauts, such as erotic stimuli, sex toys, and artificial erotic agents (e.g., virtual partners, erotic chatbots, and sex robots).[1]

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Richard Nixon’s signature being potentially the last surviving evidence of humanity is a big lol to me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How could all the nations of the Earth work in concert together keep a secret? Those loving guys all hate each other. Plus you got dumbass guys with superclearance-ultra posting state secrets to win arguments on twitter, from their own phone on their own wifi, with a static ip.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m surprised like Putin hasn’t tried to troll the Earth by faking ufos. I feel like the fsb could do a halfway decent job of buzzing Versailles or downtown Sydney in broad daylight with something otherworldly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

a pwn cocktail posted:

This was the same argument used against people who believed the intelligence community were engaging in mass surveiallance, until it eventually did leak (a program that involved a huge amount of people).

So you would expect a large secret program involving a lot of people to eventually have leaks with the same level of evidentiary support as something like what Snowden did? The timeline for Snowden was like ten years after TIA started. How long should it take for ufo stuff to leak to a comparable level of evidence (ie irrefutable)?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Quorum posted:

I think you should clarify exactly what you mean by this, because I'm really intensely curious about your framing and how you're using the word "censorship" here.

I’m going to be generous and assume they mean that reactionaries are getting more powerful in western liberal democracies in part because they foment resentment toward minorities and politicize vaccines/public health strategies.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s a strain of right-wing thought that’s extremely into esotericism and syncretic mysticism where ufos would fit right in. There’s no inherent link between counterculture and left politics—plenty of leftists are materialist monists and plenty of nazis (including the original ones) are way into magic and the supernatural.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

I wonder if we want to be honest about it, to make a good-faith effort, the ol' college try, we should change our horizons for what a space-exploration project should look like. Perhaps reorient our perspective and time-scales. In the past, during the middle ages, or in the Classical age, people did not seem to care that a cathedral or pyramid or Great Wall would take more than a human lifetime to build. Instead, those projects were embarked with the idea of honoring God, or surpassing the afterlife, or what-have-you. A higher ideological purpose went into these multi-lifespan projects, and they seemingly were embarked upon with no immediate tangible benefit.

Likewise, space exploration and the search for alien life might also need to have the same perspective applied to them. Might it not actually degrade the value of these efforts by subjecting them to limits like delivering answers within a human lifespan?

We just need an absolute tyrant willing to put a significant proportion of his empire’s resources toward the project of interstellar travel.

Maybe someone could make a religion all about humanity becoming an interstellar species. But without all the zealotry and mass murder of Earth religions, just in case we find another civilization somewhere.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ashpanash posted:

It's hard to express how wrong the conspiracy-filled are about scientists. The assumption that we ignore things because of dogma couldn't be further from the truth. There's little that would excite a scientist more than evidence of contact with aliens.

I grant that we are a fickle bunch. Our requirements for what qualifies as "good evidence" have high standards. But give us that evidence? Far from being embarrassed at being wrong, we'd be celebrating how right you are. We know we're wrong to some extent, that's literally the point of science, correcting what's wrong about our knowledge. Give us some new insight and we'll give you a prize. Overthrow our best theory with one with better evidence and we'll celebrate you for as long as we exist. We'll name elements and units of measurement after you. People will debate which ideas of yours were correct and which were wrong for ages. Scientists aren't your enemies; prove your claim and scientists will be your bitches.

No one wants to be shown how wrong they are more than scientists. But on the other hand, no one is dicked around with about these ideas more than scientists. It gets pretty tiresome when a community keeps announcing that they have evidence, convincing evidence, and it'll blow your mind, just wait until you see it...and then never delivers. This dance isn't new. Thinking you've got the truth and believing you've got the truth isn't the same thing as demonstrating that you've got the truth. But once again, I can't stress this enough: there's nothing we'd like more then for you to be right and for egg to be on our faces.

Conspiracists contest the very idea of evidence, though. So when you tell then their evidence isn’t good enough to be taken seriously, they take it as an invalidation of their entire worldview. Which of course it is.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sometimes a claim is not testable. That doesn’t mean it’s necessarily wrong, but that there’s no way to investigate whether it’s wrong or right.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

For anyone who hasn't caught up with the actual UFO thread:

It turned out that the secret project to research UFOs was instigated and run by the skinwalkter ranch people, as some kind of freelance attempt to grift consolodate ufo research under their umbrella.

This was somewhat frustrated when it turned out that weren't actually any UFOs to research and the funders saw them coming a mile off.

The subsequent whistle blowing is heavily linked to skinwalker ranch people, and it appears that the secret UFO research program they are all up in arms about, is in fact their own stupid and pointless research program.

So the entire thing has just been a massive game of The Man Who Was Thursday, meets The Men Who Stare At Goats, plus a few profoundly gullible useful idiots.

But of course all of the above is just part of the conspiracy, so feel free to disregard. Full disclosure is just around the corner. Keep on reach for that rainbow.

This reminds me of the Missing 411 guy, who will go to any bigfoot, ufo, or forteana conference that pays but will never say outright that he thinks it is or isn’t bigfoot, the grays, the smiley face killers, or hollow Earth kidnapping people out in the woods and then later returning their bodies staged to look like they died of exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It would be pretty wild if every civilization inevitably develops this one specific Dyson swarm thing in a way such that it’s a permanent feature of their system. Or if every civilization just happens to synch up developmentally for some reason we’ll never be able to figure out through observation.