Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
thanks for the op op

idk if i’d say isaac is hard sci-fi skeptical; while fun, 90% of his videos are sci-fantasy that are just what ifs with no real basis in reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i’ve always been deeply skeptical that silicon would ever form life for a number of reasons but colliers youtube channel has a great video on it so you should just go watch it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wasn't there suppose to be a huge info dump today in a major newspaper re: aliens? Don't tell me reddit lied to me!

no, but a lot of people are misunderstanding that that nyt op-ed about the whistleblower has a different headline in the print edition

also the grusch hour-long interview (followed by an hour of 'analysis') will be on newsnation tonight

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

I'm going to put my nickel down on no photos of craft, no physical evidence, lots of second hand claims. It's going to turn out later that the guys that work on captured foreign drones call them UFOs as a joke or something.

well i think we already expect that since from the grusch pov it's classified information of the type he shouldn't release.

i guess i'm more interested in seeing what congress does because he's supposedly given information on things like program names and locations to congress.

either way an awful lot of people are staking their reps on these claims lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

If the core of this is that defense contractors are making secret deals to get money for not doing anything or negotiating deals without oversight, it doesn’t really have to have anything to do with aliens.

It’s hard for me to follow the contours of the guy’s argument because he uses imprecise language for everything that isn’t about ufos, but isn’t the deal with him that he was denied access to the accounts of some offices that do defense deals and they were paying out unaccounted-for money?

also that a nontrivial amount of stuff is happening without congressional oversight

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it’ll turn out to make you smarter while in space but dumber while on earth

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

the fact that it can form a double helix i don't find particularly indicative of its relevance to whether it can be a basis for life, though. if we found discrete information storage that was conserved through replications, thats obv more interesting.

not that i'm making GBS threads on the science, it's cool regardless. i just don't buy this life claim as anything more than clickbait

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

aniviron posted:

Whether or not there is plasma crystal life out there, it's interesting to think about. It has always seemed to me that if there is more life out there the odds of it being based on the same sort of carbon biochemistry as us are not great. There are other ways to store and replicate information, probably quite a few we haven't yet conceived of.

i disagree. it’s much more likely that if there is more life out there that it’s also carbon based, for all the same reasons: carbon is abundant, it works at temperatures with liquid water, it has all the demonstrated stabilities and redox reactions ready to go and most importantly we’ve found amino acids in asteroids. it seems dreadfully unlikely that those conditions won’t be elsewhere

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

What is the timescale on these types of emergent plasma phenomena? Could a hypothetical dusty plasma based life take place on extremely fast timescales that would be hard for us to recognize or observe?

I feel like I recall a novel by Stephen Baxter or someone about plasma life in the corona of a star or something.

his manifold stiff covers that don’t it

one in a neutron star, one in a weak gravity universe, etc

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i watched and enjoyed it. imo it hits differently than most of these sorts of things. i totally think he believes what he’s saying, to be honest. i’m confused as to why he’s do it otherwise. the grifting doesn’t pay as well as a defence job for a vet with a security clearance and a physics degree, if a bs (i assume).

so either he’s telling things that are true, if absurdly difficult to swallow, or someone wants this interview out there, which i don’t really understand. we already don’t have problems spending functionally infinite dollars on the mic, and i feel like there are plenty of easier distractions to cook up (especially since this wasn’t even really picked up by most news places).

i find ross coulthart to be more interesting. he says he was led to grusch by other government contracts, not the other way around. furthermore, he insists that people involved in this supposed recovery program are giving testimony to the igic (i.e., testimony that actually isn’t hearsay). i’m not saying he’s necessarily trustworthy, but i do find his push on this to be curious.

anyway i figure worst case it’s as fun to watch and play what-if as much fun as it is to think about what i’d do with a star trek replicator, so

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is it correct that nothing can be classified such that a senator doesn’t automatically have clearance to know about it? I’m sure that in practice, people just keep senators from knowing about things, but if it exists, they have clearance to see it?

i think you're limited to senators on specific committees, not all congress automatically has a ts/sci

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is it as simple as somebody not wanting there to be an office that has oversight on contractor things and so discrediting the whole department?

Where did grusch come from, anyway? I can’t imagine ever coming to believe that spacecraft from another civilization have crashed on Earth without actually seeing them and having actual scientists verify what I was looking at. Even then, the idea that I was being intentionally misinformed in some kind of conspiracy would occur to me way before I considered the possibility that aliens have crashed on Earth.

Was this guy big into ufos before this? Do we know why he was appointed the ufo investigation guy?

there appears to be some connection to other ufo people but it seems to be recent - i.e., probably him looking for someone to blow his whistle on

honestly the whole thing is very weird. i like reading about ufo poo poo sometimes but i've never put a lot of faith in any of it being real when there's so many more prosaic explanations at hand. but like i said, i felt this whole interview hits a little differently than some of these have in the past fifty years or so.

coulthart swears there's more interviews coming, so i guess we'll see if any more information in either direction leaks out over the next few months

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

Yeah, like Bob Lazar was obviously a guy who came up with what seemed like a good story and tried to sell it. This guy seems like he’s just describing what other people told him and he’s totally credulous about it. The only way I can make sense of it is that he already believed in all that stuff.

i mean, imo bob lazar has always seemed like a grifter who never had anyone backing up his story. this guy at least has some cred (which doesn't necessarily mean anything, obv - mike flynn had cred too, for example) and a number of mic affiliated folks coming out and talking him up. i agree though, he seems like he had to be into the subject at some level already

ashpanash posted:

In a world where we currently have very vivid examples of entire communities of people making up and believing their own narratives despite ample evidence to the contrary, I really fail to see how more interviews without a shred of evidence will add to this, much less how any of this hits differently.

Smart, respectable people are fully capable of falling for bullshit and/or sincerely believing in their own bullshit.

personally i think it feels differently in part because of how many other people seem to be going along with it in the media. note: i'm not saying omg aliens r here! - just that it feels different and weird

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ashpanash posted:

But more likely it's because of reasons I am too ignorant to comprehend.

fluoride

anyway, the house is promising hearings about this so if nothing else that should be interesting

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah I have no hope for house hearings because it’s always just someone talking for soundbites, asking questions and the interrupting them from answering to shout off more soundbites.

oh thats fine, there's gonna be so many good gifs and soundbites about actual congresspeople asking about aliens which is hilarious

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

I want to know what Marjorie the Gathering thinks about space brothers. Abominations or grist for a polyamorous three-way between her and her husband?

i don’t ever want to think about her sex life ever again

go sit in the corner

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i'll be honest i hated the books. but i'll watch the show because they'll probably grind off the worst bits

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ah yes famous technological spacefaring civilization earth whales

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think you’re putting a lot of words into my shitpost

but it’s also funny that you assume that nobody outside this thread has ever considered these points before. like congrats that you got into this topic i guess but just because aliens may or may not be so fundamentally different than we are it doesn’t mean there’s no point in occasionally looking for what we are at this point in time capable of looking for or communicating with.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i mean obviously we’re limiting ourselves to subsets of potential extraterrestrial intelligences. a planet of octopus equivalents isn’t likely to build radio telescopes to listen to earth, say, and that golden disc isn’t going to be found by anyone outside of a spaceship (for the purposes of this discussion i don’t think that like non-planetary intelligences are likely) while humans are still human as we understand them

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

its hip to talk about how, well, alien, alien civilizations will be but im willing to go on record and suggest that, barring admittedly high potential differences in technology they'll actually be mostly understandable and not like incomprehensible sluglords out for space loving from the swamp world of plrgzibar 9

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

never mind this thread iteration sucks too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

I'm curious - what didn't you like about them? I admit it's not everyone's cup of tea - the characterization is pretty nonexistent and terrible, but I don't have high expectations for that in "big idea" type sci fi novels. I enjoyed Foundation too, and that one's characters are just kind of talking exposition puppets. I really liked the presentation of the Dark Forest concept, though.

i actually enjoyed the bit in the first book about the cultural revolution since my knowledge of media about that time is pretty american i.e., nonexistent

but generally speaking i don’t think the books are especially well written. he didn’t invent the dark forest concept though i’ll give him credit for showing it off to a whole new generation for sure. some bits of the early trisolaran stuff was interesting but on the whole i found them all very muddled

DrSunshine posted:

I'm sorry. :saddowns:
not ur fault

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

If we came across an alien probe with weird symbols on it you better loving believe a massive amount of energy and resources would be bent towards decoding them even if the attempt was ultimately futiles.

Plus the chances of anyone finding it are so remote that it really doesn't matter. gently caress it, write our little cosmic message in a bottle and toss it into the vast uncaring ocean. It's not about aliens, it's about being human and the need for connection and that makes it worthwhile.

i’d argue his point was that very view of thinking about aliens is anthropocentric.

but frankly i think that’s fine. of course our thinking is limited by what we are, that doesn’t mean looking for aliens within what we have available to us is without merit

calling that thinking the same thing as religion is completely insulting though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i'm not sold that seti ruled that out, necessarily. i fully agree what they did was absolutely worth doing, but detecting radio sigs from even slightly far away is really hard

mind you an advanced species may have surpassed that spectrum, just like we've started to do

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lifroc posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended the Ezra Klein podcast with Leslie Kean on the recent UFO revelations.. (or was it on another thread?)

Basically she just proved she's never heard of confirmation bias, and mistakes 3rd hand information for truth.

I can go back to ignoring any more UFO reporting until the next "info dump". Starting to think this is govt. psyops, to track how gullible the American people are or putting idiot juice in their water supply, measuring how many more off the average start to believe in conspiracy theories.

yeah, i think grusch was being truthful as he saw it, but i'm not ready to believe all these documents he supposedly saw were objectively true.

i sort of feel like it falls along these lines in order of likelihood

government coverup of advanced us technology (it really seems like there's something going on)
government coverup of advanced adversarial technology
government psyop
unknown natural phenomena
aliens

i think aliens are the least likely answer, but i don't think they should be left off the list entirely simply because we don't know what any of this poo poo is

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don’t particularly see it as optimism, few if any of the answers i proffered were what i would consider to be good.

it just seems like there are definitely some things going on, and grusch seems less grifty than the usual ufo grifters if perhaps as credulous.

i won’t be upset regardless of whatever the ultimate solution is decided to be, though i am mildly enjoying the fracas

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

Nah, it's still psychologically optimistic. It's in the same vein as conspiracy theorists who may believe that the world is controlled by secret malevolent forces, but who are ultimately comforted by those beliefs (since they think they know what is really going on).

All these latest reports are clearly the work of obvious grifters and their gullible hangers-on.

lol ok

Quorum posted:

I suspect the most influential factor is that the population that's provided most of the sourcing is people who have not only gone into defense intelligence but then into the subfield of "weird aerial poo poo analysis." All else being equal, I'd expect that population to be more prone to motivated reasoning about aliens than the average human-- and the average human isn't all that great to begin with.

yeah i agree

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

If you’re a senator and someone showed you proof that the US has spaceships from a civilization on another planet, how is your next response anything other than calling the president to demand a detachment of national guard soldiers to liberate that fucker and immediately put it on every tv channel? Writing a provision in a funding bill to exclude reverse-engineering of a captured spacecraft doesn’t even make sense, unless there’s just a “show it to congress first” provision. But what would they want to be done with one, just throw it out or something?

This whole thing is so stupid but just won’t end. Is it just a way to prove how many Americans are gullible morons? I already knew Rubio was a moron. Somebody get a quote from Trump and see if he blurts anything out about the space brothers agreeing to save him from jail.

also rubio never once actually says aliens or ets or nhis or anything non-human, either

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

eXXon posted:

Avi Loeb is so exhausting.

lmao seriously, his clout chasing is so embarrassing. he really wants to be science worshipped

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don’t listen to any youtubes or podcasts where someone wants to talk about aliens. it’s so boring, like, i like to think about what ifs, too, this topic is overdone and nobody ever brings anything interesting or new to the table

10 ways aliens might be real
25 new answers to the fermi paradox

relatedly i also avoid a lot of the science youtubes where someone needs to explain really hardcore science phenomena but they aren’t a subject matter expert.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

My respect and credibility for him all but cratered as soon as I read up on him and watched Angela Collier's criticism. The fact that he publishes such huge torrents of lovely short articles is really damning. Even his way of speaking is really tiresome!

speaking of collier yeah you’ll also notice he has a way of talking to women that’s pretty gross like jill tarter, etc

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

im not a physics person but i will say from everything that seems to be going it is, if nothing else, seemingly not an intentional grift

i.e., they think they have something. they’ve been working on it for some time. now whether they’ve got a superconductor or a new strongly diamagnetic material is anyone’s guess but imo it’s not worth too much postulation until a reputable lab goes through the steps themselves.

supposedly argonne is working on it and anyway i’m betting we’ll get some kind of confirmation over the next month or two since the necessary materials for replication aren’t out of reach of many materials science labs

i will say that all the people online purporting to know definitively what this substance is or is not mostly aren’t worth listening to since a basic physics degree isn’t necessarily going to be enough to understand all of it. anyway hopefully we’ll get replication soon and can decide then

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 31, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

cat botherer posted:

The article briefly mentions it, but Mars has glaciers remaining from the periods of high obliquity*, mostly on mountains at low/mid latitude. They really look like frozen-to-the-bed polar glaciers on Earth. Previously, they were thought to be pretty much all rock glaciers with just interstitial ice. However, some are probably mostly pure ice with a debris and/or salt cover (some people call those rock glaciers too, but they're pretty different than the interstitial ice kind).

*Mars' axial tilt variation is massive and mathematically chaotic. IIRC, obliquity before about 15 Mya is basically impossible to know.

Here's a Mars glacier (perspective generated from HiRISE) where you can see a lobe spreading out, complete with a terminal moraine:

c.f. a glacier in a similar situation in the McMurdo Dry Valleys:

https://www.antarcticglaciers.org/glacial-geology/glaciers-on-other-planets/types-of-glaciers-on-mars/

extremely dope thanks

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i'm generally down to let these sorts burn capital though i suppose they're getting some darpa funding on some level. even then i don't care too much, i'm fine with occasionally wasting money on scientific longshots lol.

having said all of this i noticed that linkedin post again goes into the background of how this is supposed to work on a pr level. they brought up how their pet theory of quantized inertia is an explanation for effects currently attributed to dark matter, but as always they only cover galactic rotation curves. do they bother explaining anywhere about what that means for other things like cmb anisotropies (just kidding i know they won't)

ashpanash posted:

They'll always point to experimental uncertainties in measurements as 'evidence' that there was 'some effect.'

As if 0kph +/- .000002 kph is a reasonable demonstration of a propulsion technology.

lol of course. and it's already been in orbit for two and a half months when it was supposed to only take a month to test anything

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaddak posted:

It's only infrared but, the JWST has directly imaged two planets orbiting a white dwarf.
https://phys.org/news/2024-01-webb-images-planets-orbiting-white.amp

Image from the article.

e: added the actual link

extremely dope

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rappaport posted:

I mean OK, it's cool to photograph dead rocks I guess, but where are the aliens, man

theyre comin

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i’ve never seen any great evidence of guaranteed alien visitation but tbqh the government being able to lie about it for 80 yearsish is probably the least unbelievable part of any of it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

to the extent that it’s possible at all in the near term i’m way more confident about the ska finding technosignatures than i am the jwst finding undeniable biosignatures

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

I think one of the benefits of human space exploration comes from subjective information, actually. A robot can send back telemetry, data, samples, and so on, but what does it feel like to stand on the surface of Mars? To watch the sun rise from 180 million kilometers? To see the sunlight reflect off the wispy dry ice clouds? A future Mars mission should have an artist, writer, or poet onboard, honestly.

That said, what I meant was the Alpha Centauri probe shouldn't be expected to be a one human lifespan kind of deal. I didn't mean "Generation Ship", hah.

that’s absolutely true. i’d also point out that one scientist with some kit on mars could probably do all the work that’s been done by all the rovers ever sent there in a very short amount of time. and then all the other tests that we haven’t. is that sufficiently worthwhile to develop the capability to do so in a relatively safe manner? ¯\_(ツ)_/ idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

my fav are all the cancer cures scientists have made that are just being kept hidden away to make money or something