Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

If we came across an alien probe with weird symbols on it you better loving believe a massive amount of energy and resources would be bent towards decoding them even if the attempt was ultimately futiles.

Plus the chances of anyone finding it are so remote that it really doesn't matter. gently caress it, write our little cosmic message in a bottle and toss it into the vast uncaring ocean. It's not about aliens, it's about being human and the need for connection and that makes it worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

Okay, but like...

In what way is this sentiment different than prayer?

Because we are aware of the odds. It's art, not prayer.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I'm still thinking about how "The Voyager Records Are Indistinguishable From Prayer" is such a mindbendingly poo poo take that it must be a troll.

might as well take the bait tho

Prayer is the act of beseeching a powerful, entity for aid, backed up by faith that it will be answered if you are a good enough person/have performed the correct rituals/the gods feel like it.

The Voyager Records are a message in a bottle, thrown with the assumption that it will never be found, but powered by a little voice that says "hey wouldn't it be neat if it was?".

Their inclusion on the probe was driven by the same urge that makes people carve their names in walls or trees or bury time capsules, the extremely human nature to say "hey, I was here, I existed for a time, I was alive like you". There's no plea for cosmic help on the records, no begging for alien intervention. Just art and sound and a little map to our house. It's anthrocentric because how could it not be? The golden disks aren't about aliens, they're about us. They're a handprint on a wall outlined in blown paint.

If you find this, know that we were here, we existed for a time. We were alive, like you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

eXXon posted:

donut-shape things

Seriously though that's rad as hell, I'm always amazed by the density of information from space telescopes.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

NASA released the Final Report from their UAP Independent Study team, as well as a media briefing/Q&A about the report.

The TLDR is that the report found no evidence to suggest any reported UAP sightings are extra-terrestrial in origin, but also they also have some cases that are still unexplained and they'd like to study UAPs from a position of science rather than spectacle. They're encouraging pilots that encounter UAPs to gather as much data as possible and report it to NASA. Even if they find it to be a weather balloon or a drone or whatever, it'll be more data on what those objects look like under unusual conditions, and help filter out any actual anomalies.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Europa Clipper launches in a year*, JPL just put out a public talk about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYjGLPUo8OQ

*theoretically

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

If there were a precursor civilization on the Earth hundreds of millions of years ago, we would be able to tell because they would have used up all the oil and already mined a bunch of things interesting to us, right?

OwlFancier posted:

There would presumably be a quite interesting depositional layer in a lot of rocks, yes.

The Silurian hypothesis: would it be possible to detect an industrial civilization in the geological record?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

"NASA data experts have translated the stream to an image format, and .. oh god, what is that man doing to his anus?"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

NASA just tested sending high bandwidth data streams from deep space via laser

They used a cat video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWa7WWA8YsE

his name is Taters and I love him :kimchi:

Taters did not go into space for the test

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Couldn't they have launched about a dozen more kg of actual useful stuff for the ~$45k worth in BTC that stunt cost? :geno:

There'd be heat and power requirements for more equipment, having what amounts to a dollar coin taped to the lander probably isn't a massive deal.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Even if the buttcoin "coin" is just a dime-sized aluminum disc, I object to it on the grounds of it being trash. Rubbish. Literal garbage just strewn on the Moon for funsies by some of the most worthless morons humanity has produced.

You're right, but we also put an American flag up there, planting worthless garbage was the first thing humanity did.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

the trouble is that it still won't shut up the True Believers if it's shown to 100% not work

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

the reveal is that aliens are real but they're all dumb as poo poo, just absolute blockheads.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Well this is fun; JWST might have just "solved" the Crisis In Cosmology/Hubble tension by providing more accurate measurements that bring observed distances in line with theoretical models.

From this livestream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo-QWCzy71Q

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

just dip in and out of ultraspace and infraspace, building up energy by pushing off the grid until you choose one to go ftl in, this is basic stuff people

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

And I think I remember seeing something about if you think about it if a forest is an organism or some kinds of mushroom colonies, then why not like some kind of huge planet wide lattice?

We're going on an adventure

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Funding for NASA would go through the roof though

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Going to need more proof than that I think, all that study has shown is that there's ~60 stars that appear to be obscured by something(s) that are radiating in the infra-red

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

New and interesting stuff is always cool, even if the press immediately jumps to "ALIENS!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Neat little video about the proposed Habitable Worlds Observatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2JIkAPcdnU

I guess I'd better stay alive for another 20 years or so