Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

mediaphage posted:

the fact that it can form a double helix i don't find particularly indicative of its relevance to whether it can be a basis for life, though. if we found discrete information storage that was conserved through replications, thats obv more interesting.

not that i'm making GBS threads on the science, it's cool regardless. i just don't buy this life claim as anything more than clickbait

It ain't life on Earth, that's for sure. I also want to see more than just simulations - it's hard to tell if they are fine-grained enough. But I can appreciate the hypothetical argument that "Life on Earth is a very rare, highly specialized and refined example of a much more vast gradient of naturally developing information conservation mechanisms."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Reading the summary of it, it... seems like a whole load of nothing.

It always is, and the UFO guys always fall for it, like Lucy with the football. I understand why; they desperately want it to be true, so they hold on tightly to any justification they can find. And to be clear it's not like this is some important moral or character failing on their part, I'm just trying to describe their mindset.

You're not going to win a lot of friends among those types by dismissing their latest hullabaloo. But they hate skeptics for the same reason gamblers hate losing: the reality is, the odds are stacked against them in every sense.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

mediaphage posted:

but like i said, i felt this whole interview hits a little differently than some of these have in the past fifty years or so.

coulthart swears there's more interviews coming, so i guess we'll see if any more information in either direction leaks out over the next few months

In a world where we currently have very vivid examples of entire communities of people making up and believing their own narratives despite ample evidence to the contrary, I really fail to see how more interviews without a shred of evidence will add to this, much less how any of this hits differently.

Smart, respectable people are fully capable of falling for bullshit and/or sincerely believing in their own bullshit.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

mediaphage posted:

personally i think it feels differently in part because of how many other people seem to be going along with it in the media. note: i'm not saying omg aliens r here! - just that it feels different and weird

Ah, ok, yes, I agree with you there. We have a more credulous media than before, that's certainly true. I suspect partially because hey, we've all seen some weird poo poo in the past few decades, media included. Partly because the current strong bifurcation of media along partisan lines probably means weaker, more diluted editorial feedback and control. But more likely it's because of reasons I am too ignorant to comprehend.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 13, 2023

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

radmonger posted:

For that to be valid reasoning, you would need to do an analysis of the properties of all possible alien civilisations, and show that they would generate unambiguous, repeatable astronomical observations.

It’s not that you are not right, it’s just that you seem excessively certain you are.

Repeated, continuous observations entirely consistent with the hypothesis that "there are no space aliens to detect" should not be considered a checkmark in the "the myriad phenomena we call 'UFOs' might be space aliens" category. That would be invalid reasoning.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 1, 2023

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Never would have expected that the aliens would be made of paper mache

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

"NASA data experts have translated the stream to an image format, and .. oh god, what is that man doing to his anus?"

A NASA scientist pours over the data, assembling the image carefully. They check, and double-check. They frown. "No ring," they sigh. They delete the image.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Rappaport posted:

Even if the buttcoin "coin" is just a dime-sized aluminum disc, I object to it on the grounds of it being trash. Rubbish. Literal garbage just strewn on the Moon for funsies by some of the most worthless morons humanity has produced. Sending a golden disc with nude people on is at least a symbol of reaching out.

It's gonna be trash anyway, now:

But I get why they did it. If you can get some extra funding for your space science fair project by selling what would otherwise be empty space to some morons so they can put their little token on the moon, why not?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

the trouble is that it still won't shut up the True Believers if it's shown to 100% not work

They'll always point to experimental uncertainties in measurements as 'evidence' that there was 'some effect.'

As if 0kph +/- .000002 kph is a reasonable demonstration of a propulsion technology.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Once we have definitive, demonstrative evidence that people can move objects with their minds, it makes total sense to develop a set of initiatives, both military and public, to study it.

Once we get definitive, demonstrative evidence for visiting, extraterrestrial space aliens and their spacecraft we should totally develop a similar set of initiatives.

Instead we get people trying to move procedural mountains based on blurry video and anecdotes.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

I move my limbs with my mind every day smart guy

yeah that's why we have clothes and armor, genius

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

a pwn cocktail posted:

If there was a part of the pentagon that sucessfully wished to prevent definitive proof from coming to light, how do you think your approach would fare in determining the truth?

Pretty well. The Pentagon leaks like a sieve; if this were a truly global conspiracy, as it would have to be, what the Pentagon wants should matter very little.

quote:

As for the already available evidence

I guess it's too much to ask for an actual physical example of a spacecraft? Open it up to journalists like the US does when they present their newest stealth bomber? And maybe extend open access to materials to a few legitimate scientific sources. Like, I dunno, send pieces of the exotic material to Fermilab, NSF, CERN, ESA, NASA, JAXA, the Chinese Space Agency, Roscosmos? Let their scientists come and examine the craft? Pick any three.

If you've got literally nothing, then I understand this is asking a lot. If you've actually got a hold of alien spacecraft and materials and bodies this should be trivially easy.

quote:

what would valid testimony sound like to you? is there any level of testimony that would not merit dismissal by labelling it "anecdotal"? Have you considered informing the legal world of this breakthrough in epistemology?

Have I "considered informing the legal world" about hearsay? Seriously?

I guess I haven't. I'll get to it eventually.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

a pwn cocktail posted:

This would require a definition of hearsay so broad as to literally break science. How many pieces of scientific knowledge do you have that don't fundamentally rest on believing what someone's told you? Have you personally run all the experiments? Did you personally read all the measurements? Confirm all the equations?

Oh, for christ’s sake, are you loving making GBS threads me? This has, in a single exchange, devolved into questioning the basics of epistemology? That just shows how weak your position actually is.

Show us some loving evidence. poo poo or get off the pot.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You'd think science people would snap at the chance to investigate a (hypothetically)~1% chance of aliens being real and have investigated Earth.

The fact that you are either unaware on unwilling to admit that enormous amounts of resources and investigation has been done - and, indeed, continues to be done - on this very subject shows how profoundly unserious you are.

The claims aren't rejected because scientists are unwilling to investigate them. They're rejected because they've either been investigated and dismissed or, as what happens in most of these cases, those seeking to investigate are themselves refused access by the ones who are claiming to have evidence, so no demonstrable evidence is ever produced for investigation in the first place.

Once again, I repeat, this time with emphasis: poo poo or get off the pot. Show us everything you've got on this alien spacecraft, these alien bodies, these alien materials. Stop bitching about how 'the cabal' is holding you back because from my perspective, the only thing holding you back is your own lack of substantive evidence and your deference to magical and conspiratorial thinking.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I want to see the data also.

I'm glad that, on this, we agree.

For some reason (it confirms your assumptions, let's be real) the DoD shrugging and saying "it's classified" or "we deleted the data" is enough for you to not be interested.

Hey man, it's not my fault that the DoD is so apparently omnipresent and powerful that they can collect and prevent the dissemination of any material evidence of what is presented as a worldwide phenomenon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

It's hard to express how wrong the conspiracy-filled are about scientists. The assumption that we ignore things because of dogma couldn't be further from the truth. There's little that would excite a scientist more than evidence of contact with aliens.

I grant that we are a fickle bunch. Our requirements for what qualifies as "good evidence" have high standards. But give us that evidence? Far from being embarrassed at being wrong, we'd be celebrating how right you are. We know we're wrong to some extent, that's literally the point of science, correcting what's wrong about our knowledge. Give us some new insight and we'll give you a prize. Overthrow our best theory with one with better evidence and we'll celebrate you for as long as we exist. We'll name elements and units of measurement after you. People will debate which ideas of yours were correct and which were wrong for ages. Scientists aren't your enemies; prove your claim and scientists will be your bitches.

No one wants to be shown how wrong they are more than scientists. But on the other hand, no one is dicked around with about these ideas more than scientists. It gets pretty tiresome when a community keeps announcing that they have evidence, convincing evidence, and it'll blow your mind, just wait until you see it...and then never delivers. This dance isn't new. Thinking you've got the truth and believing you've got the truth isn't the same thing as demonstrating that you've got the truth. But once again, I can't stress this enough: there's nothing we'd like more then for you to be right and for egg to be on our faces.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 27, 2024