Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm going to put my nickel down on no photos of craft, no physical evidence, lots of second hand claims. It's going to turn out later that the guys that work on captured foreign drones call them UFOs as a joke or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

OK, if we can get footage of a four star general being asked to explain project "Garrus Tops 34" it'll be worthwhile.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Also, for :tinfoil: content - did anyone catch that interview with Grusch? I missed it.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/space/ufo/we-are-not-alone-the-ufo-whistleblower-speaks/

Reading the summary of it, it... seems like a whole load of nothing. Pretty much like a rehash of every other whistleblower interview on this subject. :geno:

Uhhhhhh-huh.

I dunno, smells like a disinfo op to me.

I think Grusch is wholly sincere, but he seems to have either fooled himself or been fooled by the world's greatest prank. Given the very obvious red flags here, like the total lack of physical evidence and the sheer number of people and nations that would be involved in his belief, there's also something seriously wrong with his bullshit alarm. My take would be that he's just another of the slightly unhinged people that have been living on r/UFO for the last 6 years, but this one just happens to have a government job.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

If yourre smart enough to get into space and cross between stars, you work out how a diagram works with a bit of time and effort. That's my bold conjecture on xenocommunications.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Incredible if true, and far beyond what I was expecting from JWST. I gotta admit I never thought of dark stars as something other than a purely theoretical object. If this pans out, I wonder if all population iii stars were dark stars, or just a few.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The physical conditions required to create a situation where a Grand Unified Theory would be required are so extreme that we may never be able to actually use it in engineering. Obviously I can't rule out that there may be an easy way to access the new physics, but the fact that we don't observe anything behaving anomalously in a way that makes us think it needs the GUT to explain is a strong hint that there probably isn't a backdoor to new physics. This is also the reason we haven't been able to make much progress in actually finding the theory - we simply can't create the conditions needed to test the candidate theories.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 27, 2023

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

radmonger posted:

That’s pretty direct circular reasoning. If the guys testimony were true, the there would be such observations. So there would be no reason to hold the theories as complete, and so no inherent reason to dismiss what he says.

Still unlikely, but self consistent, so not actually impossible.
I was talking about poo poo we see through telescopes and record properly, not some guy who totally met someone who saw an alien doing ftl burnouts. Eyewitness testimony has been bullshit in science for over a hundred years after the N-ray debacle.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66786611

Possible detection of dimethyl sulphide on exoplanet. It's tentative as of yet, but very exciting if true as it's currently a strong bioindicator.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Libluini posted:

This is all so wrong, I don't even know where to start :psyduck:

I'm not sure if those guys should be in prison for stealing archaeological artifacts or just plain old scamming

But OK, if those "bodies" have "DNA" in them, their claims should be easy to test, right?

Listen buddy, they gave a sample to the university. No, the university wasn't allowed to take the sample themselves, or see the sample being taken, why do you ask?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Rappaport posted:

Sort-of-space-news, Frank Borman, commander of Apollo 8, has died at the respectable age of 95 :rip:

Perhaps the most (pop-)iconic thing of the Apollo 8 mission is the 'Earthrise' photo

The Apollo 8 mission was regarded by the astronauts as being the most daring and the crew as supremely brave even by their own standards. (At least according to the space rocket history podcasts). So much of what they did were the big firsts, and it's a shame it's often overlooked by the public.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I hate that they've obviously done this for the "to the moon" memes. Hope some astronaut finds that crap and stomps it.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It's a definitional question about whether something like a mycorrhizal network or one of the big clonal colony tree's is a single organism. A bit on one side of colony may well be so distant from another part there is no exchange between them, even if they're technically connected.

In practice it's sitting on a fuzzy boundary between being a single organism or multiple organisms, but humans have an inherit need to categorise even if it's inappropriate.

Vorenus posted:

I'm no scientist, but I vaguely recall reading something years ago about the limits of organism size, and a large part of it being that beyond a certain point the energy needs become, if not exponential, at least scaling more quickly than can reasonably be supported.

This was likely something about the cube law of scaling volume vs. surface area, or else some misapplied simplistic model. There's not really a solid upper limit on something that grows as a network. If the nutrients are there it can just keep growing (although it can face some really interesting scaling challenges, like the interconnected cytoplasm of fungi being a haven for prion spread).

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 23, 2024

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Believe whatever you like re:aliens, but thinking that whistleblower protection will protect someone from extra-judicial execution is just stupidity.

News flash - that was already illegal. If they were going to shoot you before they're not going to stop now.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

UFO thread is over here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907642

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Jesus III posted:

There is more proof that angels have visited the Earth than aliens.

Excellent username/post combo.

But yeah, this is why the UFO topic was spun off into it's own thread where people can huff their farts at their leisure and enjoy the fruit of the chorizo alien, the happy Eid techno chair probe, CGI plane abductions, and hearing after hearing after hearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The conspiracy theory in question is coming from senior intelligence agents within the US government.

For anyone who hasn't caught up with the actual UFO thread:

It turned out that the secret project to research UFOs was instigated and run by the skinwalkter ranch people, as some kind of freelance attempt to grift consolodate ufo research under their umbrella.

This was somewhat frustrated when it turned out that weren't actually any UFOs to research and the funders saw them coming a mile off.

The subsequent whistle blowing is heavily linked to skinwalker ranch people, and it appears that the secret UFO research program they are all up in arms about, is in fact their own stupid and pointless research program.

So the entire thing has just been a massive game of The Man Who Was Thursday, meets The Men Who Stare At Goats, plus a few profoundly gullible useful idiots.

But of course all of the above is just part of the conspiracy, so feel free to disregard. Full disclosure is just around the corner. Keep on reach for that rainbow.