Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Wasn't there suppose to be a huge info dump today in a major newspaper re: aliens? Don't tell me reddit lied to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
https://www.theregister.com/2023/06/12/astronaut_brain_recovery/

quote:

Study recommends mandatory 3-year vacation so astronauts' brains can recover

Scientists studying the brains of astronauts have discovered startling changes brought on by microgravity that has led them to recommend a three-year break between missions.

The study, published last week in Scientific Reports, looked at the brains of 30 astronauts before and after space travel, determining that the brain's cerebrospinal fluid-filled ventricles expand anywhere from 11 percent to an additional quarter of their original size the closer astronauts get to the six-month mark of their missions.

While the expansion tapers off around the six-month mark, it doesn't necessarily end, said Rachael Seidler, one of the study's authors and a professor of applied physiology at the University of Florida.

"Many astronauts travel to space more than one time, and our study shows it takes about three years between flights for the ventricles to fully recover," Seidler said. It's not all bad news, though: "We were happy to see that the changes don't increase exponentially, considering we will eventually have people in space for longer periods."

Complementing Seidler's team's discovery is previous findings which determined that spaceflight causes an "upward shift of the brain within the skull," leading to "cortical crowding and narrowing of the sulci at the top of the brain" that can be seen in a shift of gray matter volume at the top of the brain and a decrease at the base.

With that in mind, Seidler and company are urging caution. "We don't yet know for sure what the long-term consequences of this is on the health and behavioral health of space travelers, so allowing the brain time to recover seems like a good idea," the professor said.

[...]

I would love to spend 6 months in space and than take a 3 year paid vacation.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

You would still need to haul everything up into space to begin with if you're going to use an in-orbit spaceport as a launching point.

I thought this was basically SpaceX's plan with a hypothetical Mars-bound trip via the still-theoretical Starship platform, though.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 12, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

ashpanash posted:

It always is, and the UFO guys always fall for it, like Lucy with the football. I understand why; they desperately want it to be true, so they hold on tightly to any justification they can find. And to be clear it's not like this is some important moral or character failing on their part, I'm just trying to describe their mindset.

You're not going to win a lot of friends among those types by dismissing their latest hullabaloo. But they hate skeptics for the same reason gamblers hate losing: the reality is, the odds are stacked against them in every sense.

I read a summary and while it all sounds interesting, there's still the problem that there's no evidence being shown. I get why the guy can't just show us evidence, and I get that this time it's different(tm) because of such and such reason, but at the end of the day nothing tangible and new came out of this so IMO there just really isn't anything to talk about.

e: I legit thought there would be some actual poo poo being dumped on us on Sunday but alas.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 13, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

mediaphage posted:

fluoride

anyway, the house is promising hearings about this so if nothing else that should be interesting

Yeah I have no hope for house hearings because it’s always just someone talking for soundbites, asking questions and the interrupting them from answering to shout off more soundbites.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Do we know which house committee would be doing the hearings? Depending on who’s sitting on it we could get crazy lmao questions like “where are the med beds?” to well researched questions from… i dont loving know, someone who isn’t crazy.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

At some point you have to be be pragmatic and assume/hope that whatever alien life may find that disk would be able to decode it. If it's possible for there to be aliens that have no concept of sight or touch and thus would not be able to distinguish the difference between a golden disk with engraving on it and a piece of rock then there is also a possibility that some alien life exists that has smart aliens in it that could figure out what we've wrote.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

I'm not trying to say that I'm innovating here. I've known about Stanislaw Lem's works, for example. But these cases of "occasionally looking" are often large and expensive projects. Breakthrough Listen alone is going to waste $100 million before the decade is out. And worse than the waste of resources is the way that these pseudoscientific efforts have a negative impact on the culture and create the foot in the door through which conspiracy theorists like Leslie Kean make their careers.

At least if the people following these impulses are spending that money trying (and probably failing) to talk to whales that will mean some resources are going to conserving those at-risk species and maybe doing some environmental protection.

It sounds like that’s $100M in funding grants and employees, paying universities and state and private telescope/radio operators for access, and will collect and release scientific data to the public domain, among other things.

If your thinking is that that’s $100M that could be better spent elsewhere, yeah you’re not wrong on that. But consider the source of that $100M. Would the people funding it have funded those other things instead? Probably not?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

They might not have funded some other scientific project, no. But if I were a post-doc astrophysicist who couldn't manage to book time on a large radio telescope for my research because a well-funded boondoggle is going to use it to produce a paper saying "nope, nothing here", I would be kinda pissed.

What about the post-doc astrophysicist who’s being funded by this project?

E: Sorry this sounds like whatabouttism, that’s not my intention. This project is funding grad students to do research to advance their field and their career is my point.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 22, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

I think this shows a limit of imagination. Maybe what is out there are some kind of hyper-tardigrade who can naturally survive in space and coast on propulsive blasts from massive water jets like those of Enceladus? Maybe they perceive with vision that is more akin to a spectroscope and they communicate with each other over interstellar distances by farting out specific molecules in a way that lets other members of the species read information from way the starlight passes through those farts?

Assuming that there are others out there that would be building spaceships and radio telescopes specifically because we have built spaceships and radio telescopes feels extremely limited. Especially since there are at least 1 million animal species on the planet currently and exactly one of them has built those things.

Maybe there are alien civilizations out there that have butts on their head and butts on their butt, and they communicate purely by farting butt smells. Also their hands and feet are butts too.

Let's spend $100M to look for them.

vs.

Let's spend $100M to look for aliens that might be similar to us that we can comprehend and possibly interact with.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Little bit tangent to this but the trailer for the Three Body Problem Netflix adaptation dropped a few days ago. I just finished reading the series earlier this year, and I'm excited to see it come to a platform where I can actually stream it!

Have you watched the Netflix movie about people building engines into the Earth to move it into another solar system? I watched it and oh boy it was bad, really bad, and afaik it's written by the same guy that wrote the Three Body Problem.

Plus it's Netflix so I hope you're happy with getting at most 2 seasons.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

Or, you know, let's spend $100M on research that might move the needle on the crisis in cosmology and actually advance human understanding of the universe, rather than indulging in a fantasy.

In the background of all this is the fact that there is a real chance we could end up finding compelling signs of life existing outside of Earth within our lifetime (particularly given how many exoplanet-focused projects are getting approved for JWST time). But that will come in a form more like the work in this paper, rather than catching a stray broadcast from some aliens' radio.

Por que no los dos?

Research funding doesn’t exist in a single bucket with a set amount of money. There are multiple buckets with various amounts, and the buckets are not interchangeable with each other. Spending $100M less on one project doesn’t open up $100M in funding for other projects. Meanwhile, the $100M spent for this project you have issues with isn’t just being spent to indulge some billionaire. That $100M is being used to fund researchers to do research in cosmology and related fields, and those researchers can in turn apply their expertise in other research that may be beneficial for solving the crisis in cosmology or whatever. On top of funding the researchers that money is also being used to maintain and operate telescopes and such, and also for employing technical staff and so on and so forth.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Here’s a funding source that looks like they deal out $50M per year for “astronomy and astrophysics research” that you can apply for to help solve the crisis in cosmology or whatever. And that’s just one. OP should just be happy there is a $100M grant out there that funds scientific research because the grand total of all research funding is not nearly enough to fund all people who want to do scientific research.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

cat botherer posted:

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-big-gravitational-wave-announcement-is-coming-thursday-heres-why-were-excited

This is cool: There's a major announcement coming soon about cosmic gravitational wave background - basically the same deal as cosmic background radiation, but gravity waves. CBR is from when the universe first became transparent, a few hundred thousand years after the Big Bang. However, the universe was always transparent to gravitational waves, so this could go back to 10^-32 seconds after the Big Bang.

Oh this is interesting. I remember watching a video on it from the PBS Spacetime guy last year or so I think. Good to know they’ve kept pushing along and have more to share.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

There’s a person in the physics/astronomy thread that says they’ve seen/heard rumors of detecting a supermassive black hole merger with gravitational waves.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

cat botherer posted:

Oh cool. Sounds like that might happen during a galactic merger. I don't know of supermassive black holes that aren't at galactic centers, but I suppose they could be flung out occasionally into intergalactic space. That would make them hard to detect aside from gravitational lensing though.

Yeah there’s an interesting discussion about how apparently galaxy mergers are relatively common. It’s worth a read.

Start here:

asexual linuxmancer posted:

I have heard/seen rumblings that a supermassive black hole merger was detected.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Virgin Galactic had their first commercial mission with some Italian air force guys. They've been working on this for so long I kind of forgot about the whole project until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-bnaq9BKio&t=2307s

It's cool and I love the vehicles but man 2 minutes in microgravity is super underwhelming. What's the main limiting factor that's preventing them from going higher? It seems like there's plenty of space for more fuel so they should be able to accelerate it quite a bit more than that.

Wikipedia says it has a service ceiling of 110 km, not sure why this flight didn’t even make it to 90 km. The problem with simply adding more fuel is that more fuel means it’s heavier, which means it would take more fuel, which makes it heavier, which takes more fuel… This is why traditional rockets will drop its lower stages/boosters to get rid of useless mass.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The stream I stumbled onto and watched was very choppy and low quality but one thing I remember is the (I think) Italian guy unbuckling himself and going over to the back and turning on a PC or something. The people announcing it said this was the experimental payload and I just kept wondering what the gently caress kind of experiment can you perform in low/micro gravity for only a couple of minutes that would produce anything useful.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

A lot I imagine. They wouldn't be paying a lot of money to do an experiment like that in microgravity if the results weren't worth it one way or another.

I imagined they were paying for the joyride and the experiment part was just an afterthought so that they can go “see, we’re not just wasting money.”

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

You’re better off checking the physics and astronomy thread in (??? its under ask/tell).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Here’s a live updated table tracking people who are trying to replicate it?

https://forums.spacebattles.com/thr...5#post-94266395

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Me after sitting through a 2 hour useless meeting