Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s nothing until there’s incontrovertible proof that it’s something. If aliens were visiting the Earth, wouldn’t literally anything be different? If alien technology has been in the hands of the US and its contractors for ~100 years and they’ve never been able to learn anything from it, what difference would it make? I wish I knew what this guy was actually being prevented from learning about.

That's kind of a jump. What if aliens just visited that day for the first time? Good luck then getting something useful out of alien technology besides maybe confirming it's not from Earth :lol:

But yeah, that hearing sounds like a waste of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

This is all so wrong, I don't even know where to start :psyduck:

I'm not sure if those guys should be in prison for stealing archaeological artifacts or just plain old scamming

But OK, if those "bodies" have "DNA" in them, their claims should be easy to test, right?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bug Squash posted:

Listen buddy, they gave a sample to the university. No, the university wasn't allowed to take the sample themselves, or see the sample being taken, why do you ask?

Already a bad idea for your scam, giving an actual DNA-sample to an university. Because nowadays we have stuff like DNA-databases and poo poo.

Though it will at least be a fitting end to the farce when they run the sample through a couple databases and are like "what the heck, this is just Broccoli-DNA, those fuckers!"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

I remember seeing a similar probe video about the rings of Saturn (or Jupiter?) but the 'sound' was a lot more intense. It kind of ruled.

The current champion of this kind of thing is still the Titan lander, thanks to it sending honest-to-good audio of the descent through Titan's atmosphere.

Listening to that noise still gives me the chills.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rappaport posted:

Hello space buddies, today is an :ohdear: space buddy day as Osiris Rex (what a name) is about to poop its payload of asteroid sample material into our atmosphere.

BBC explains:

Bennu's looking pretty dusty, good job that NASA sent a vacuum squad over there, huh?

I wonder if, twenty years from now, some bored Italian director will take this as an inspiration for a cheap alien comet virus movie

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

I mean there's a lot of places on earth they could take the exact same inspiration from if your just talking visually. Turns out big balls of rock floating through space aren't always the most visually interesting! Just because of how many there are their probably are the odd exceptions, but yeah.

I feel sorry for all the space pirates who have ever been marooned on them. :(

how to tell someone you don't know how B-movie directors roll, without saying that you don't know how B-movie directors roll

alternate joke:

how do you not know that there are enough space rock virus movies by now that they're forming their own little subgenre?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bug Squash posted:

The Apollo 8 mission was regarded by the astronauts as being the most daring and the crew as supremely brave even by their own standards. (At least according to the space rocket history podcasts). So much of what they did were the big firsts, and it's a shame it's often overlooked by the public.

Apollo 8 I know mostly from the German SF-series Perry Rhodan, so I always take a minute to remember that Apollo 8 in real life didn't end catastrophically. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chicken Butt posted:

“Perry Rhodan” is such a great example of “this name sounds American”.

We added the "h" to make it sound more American

-Clark Darlton

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

With this kind of distance involved, either that's their first attempt at contacting us , or our original signal was send by the dinosaurs

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

If there were a precursor civilization on the Earth hundreds of millions of years ago, we would be able to tell because they would have used up all the oil and already mined a bunch of things interesting to us, right?

Not if they were psionic. We don't have any way to detect the residue of magic spells, after all.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

Nah, not like light years, more like within 1 lightyear.

(checking)

Ok, well maybe like 3 light years at most. It's kinda unclear.

Oort Clouds are kind of weird with their dimensions. Are solar systems just mixing at the edges? (At 3 light years, you'd be deep inside the Oort Cloud of Alpha Centauri, though it's fun to imagine Alpha Centaurians invading because they mapped their own Oort Cloud so extensively they're now claiming Earth belongs to them since occasionally comets from their OC smashed into our planet.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

You guys, we missed the big reveal two weeks ago that the AARO posted!

:xcom:

Would be funny if the great conspiracy is that organizations like this one have found dozens of UAPs, but they're all Chinese drones and they are too embarassed to tell us they were wrong about aliens

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, a lot of people have come forward about ghosts, too.

Doesn't mean ghosts exist, though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

Ghosts are absolutely real though. :smith:

This isn't GBS, stop it with the shitposting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a pwn cocktail posted:

Can you post the strongest examples of this kind of testimony please, so that we can better discern how useful this analogy is, thanks in advance!

sure, here is one:

Raenir Salazar posted:

Ghosts are absolutely real though. :smith: