Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

LanceHunter posted:

So this Tuesday's episode of the Ezra Klein show had an interview with Leslie Kean, one of the reporters who did the big story in The Debrief about Grusch.

Klein seems emotionally sympathetic to Kean and her position, but basically gives her enough rope to hang herself and completely wipe out any credibility to her story. By the end, without Klein outright stating so, it becomes clear that Kean has either been duped or is a con artist herself.

(Slightly tangental rant incoming...)

As much as we recognize the UFO folks as kooks, I think there needs to be the same level of skepticism leveled against the SETI-types who try to cloak the same fundamentally religious desire for communication with a higher power in a thin veneer of "hard" science. These types always try to claim that the universal nature of math should allow a basis for communication, or they hand-wave away a lot of fundamental questions with the imaginary concept of "hyperintelligence". Like, look at this laughable poo poo:

The number of wild assumptions that are being made here are absolutely astounding. The biggest one being that some completely unknown lifeform out there would even have a concept of two-dimensional representational images.

I get that funding was hard to find after we landed on the moon a few times, and telling these kinds of stories made for a great hook to get Congress to cough up some coin. But I think it really blurred the line between legitimate science and pseudoscience for a couple of generations, and we are still feeling the effects of that now in our culture.

I think the problem of comprehensibility is the biggest one out there for anyone who is claiming that they are searching for intelligent life outside of Earth. I personally think we should set this standard: Until we can teach a whale to do calculus, we shouldn't even begin to claim that we could communicate with anything that might be out there. Until we can find a way to communicate that level of abstract concept with the sufficiently intelligent lifeforms on our own planet that already share 80% of our DNA, then even pretending that we can communicate anything out there has about as much scientific grounding as saying that angels will hear our prayers.

to be fair, i'm fairly sure everyone involved with the golden record understood that it was aimed squarely at folks here on earth in an attempt to promote a sense of global community, it's moving too slow and is too small and cold for anyone to actually expect it to ever be found

given that seti efforts are pretty much limited to listening for signals we can determine are non-natural, the comprehensibility question seems a bit moot

i personally feel like the seti effort will probably never pay off due to the distances and time scales involved, but if there one day is a signal that doesn't fit with any natural phenomena, does it matter that much that we'd probably never understand what it means?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist.