Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Everyone knows only dinosaur have DNA (Dinonucleic acid). Aliens would have ANA (Alienucleic acid) or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Libluini posted:

I wonder if, twenty years from now, some bored Italian director will take this as an inspiration for a cheap alien comet virus movie

I mean there's a lot of places on earth they could take the exact same inspiration from if your just talking visually. Turns out big balls of rock floating through space aren't always the most visually interesting! Just because of how many there are their probably are the odd exceptions, but yeah.

I feel sorry for all the space pirates who have ever been marooned on them. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh I know this one. Obviously someone was accidentally on voyger when it launched, and after a long nap their finally getting around to sending a message back to earth in binary.

This is why you don't take naps when your working on space probes!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Look Ort owns that cloud fair and square and not Alpha Centauri nor Earth can take it away from them. :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I like when space test don't kill adorable pets!

Also that sounds like it could be really useful. I remember looking up the bandwidth we have available communicating with Mars and telescopes space ways and stuff, and yeah it's really not all that much, which for some stuff can be really limiting. Like for the James Webb Telescope, it seems like the speed it can send information is actually a bit of a limiting factor in how much it can be utilized.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dameius posted:

As I'm making this post, JWST is communicating with DSS 56 in Madrid at a rate of 28.00Mb/s 11.271 second per packet latency though :v:.

Oh cool site! Apparently Voyager 2 is talking to a Canberra at 40 b/per second, which for something 20.3 billion k's away is pretty impressive.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I AM GRANDO posted:

How could all the nations of the Earth work in concert together keep a secret? Those loving guys all hate each other. Plus you got dumbass guys with superclearance-ultra posting state secrets to win arguments on twitter, from their own phone on their own wifi, with a static ip.

Like seriously, how many people would even have to be involved in that sort of cover up. From what I can tell of what the conspiracy theorists believe it sounds like at least 10'000. No way they're all keeping something like "holy poo poo aliens are real and I study an alien space craft at my work every day, how awesome is that!!!".

It's like the flat earth conspiracy in which every loving professional pilot in the world is somehow in on it. What when you're getting your aviation license, at the end of class one day do they go, "oh by the by, words actually flat, please don't tell people. K Thanks!!!!"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mediaphage posted:

my fav are all the cancer cures scientists have made that are just being kept hidden away to make money or something

The secrete scientists got so bored after they found the cures to all existing cancers, they invented dozens more cancers just so they could make the cures to them as well!

The cover up about bored secrete scientists the government doesn't want you to know!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also I think it would be more likely to be ALIENS!!! if it's just one or two stars showing something weird happening. When you have 60, I assume nowhere near each other, showing the same odd behaviour seems far more likely to just be some new weird astrophysics quirk that occasionally happens, we haven't quite figured out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DrSunshine posted:

I know, I know, it's probably some dust or something mundane like that, but it's fun to imagine. :shobon:

Hey, there's always a chance it turns out to be an empire of space dust aliens! No one can prove that's not a thing!!!

Would totally annoy SETI. We're trying to find aliens here, why the gently caress does all this drat space dust always keep getting in the way???