Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do we know which house committee would be doing the hearings? Depending on who’s sitting on it we could get crazy lmao questions like “where are the med beds?” to well researched questions from… i dont loving know, someone who isn’t crazy.

Let’s put Santos on the committee since he is himself in fact an alien from outer space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

DrSunshine posted:

So, if the claims put forth are taken at face value -- what Grusch had said about these UAP capabilities defying known laws of physics and so on -- then what that would imply is that all our known laws of physics and science are wrong, on a fundamental level. All of the Standard Model and General Relativity, which have been tested at accuracies up to one part in one hundred trillion and one part in ten trillion respectively, are essentially bullshit. We would need to rewrite everything from Newton on up. In fact, probably the basis of what we understand to be rationality itself would be undermined.

I feel like if that was true, I'd feel incredibly sad and mournful.

Not necessarily, there just may be a case those laws aren’t considering.

Newtonian physics are “wrong” but they’re plenty right enough for most day to day uses. It’s only when you get very big or very fast that they break down.

If the aliens are fitzing around with a different dimension (and I don’t believe there are aliens visiting us, fwiw) then it could be that our physics are fine in three spatial and one time dimension, but break down in another case we hadn’t considered yet.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

DrSunshine posted:

So this isn't really space-related, but could someone with a physics degree please tell me what the deal is with the first room-temperature superconductor? Do you think it's bullshit? What's the deal?

The physics thread covered it but it definitely doesn’t seem to be a superconductor. It may still be an interesting material but the levitation they exhibited didn’t really match what it should’ve looked like.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Ceased to exist is a pretty metal line though.