Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

feverish and oversexed posted:

who else is back because of it lol

Yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Robo Reagan posted:

with twitter and reddit dying, yahoo answers is finally primed to make a comeback

It’s the only path forward.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Why not just have permissions set for the API so that mods can use it only on the sub reddit?

Doesn't sound like this really has much to do with administration.

I hate having to choose sides between reddit and redditors, but I'm afraid if reddit ever implodes its replacement will somehow be worse.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

The bit where the Reddit CEO accused the dev of the Apollo app of threatening them and trying to extort money then lost his poo poo in an AMA when the Apollo dev turned out to have recorded the phonecall is some Musk-level drama.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Muscular Typist posted:

I always knew SA would outlast reddit. Bunch of sellouts. Congratulations goons.

Me too. SA is looking pretty good these days.

I went searching for topics I'm interested in and already encountered multiple infighting dumpster fires. It's like I never left <3

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

cum calamity posted:

The bit where the Reddit CEO accused the dev of the Apollo app of threatening them and trying to extort money then lost his poo poo in an AMA when the Apollo dev turned out to have recorded the phonecall is some Musk-level drama.

I love that their official response to the recordings of the calls being released and showing them to be full of poo poo with their slander was "he secretly recorded us, how can we trust him now?"

How can you trust him?

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Hi guys! In support of the Reddit blackout I'm having a 48 hour sale on my OnlyFans!

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Who’s the biggest shithead, lowtax or Reddit CEO.

Bring back celebrity death match.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Here’s a radical insight about social media that will cost you a million buck from consulting firms: content moderation is the product. If Reddit don’t have that massive unpaid army to get rid of bad content, they’re in trouble.

That said I think the obvious solution is just to build better mod tools, not offer their API cheaply to everyone else. They’ll never build a decent advertising business if those third party apps exist. I kinda see why apps like Apollo need to go.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Uhh. A death match? You necromancer?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
r/40klore shows it's fascist boot-licking and stayed open.

Isko
May 20, 2008

Mainly a lurker anyways, but I'm trying out coming back because of this. I don't know if I can see myself leaving reddit completely though because there are a few hobby/niche subreddits I'd miss too much.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Isko posted:

Mainly a lurker anyways, but I'm trying out coming back because of this. I don't know if I can see myself leaving reddit completely though because there are a few hobby/niche subreddits I'd miss too much.

Just post them here fam

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

N. Senada posted:

Just post them here fam

Too much effort to make the post if it don't exist :effort:

Isko
May 20, 2008

N. Senada posted:

Just post them here fam

In all honestly there probably are a lot of equivalent threads here (with better discussion even).

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

We should do a blackout too, it sounds like fun. Dunno what about tho.

Whatever it is, you will not get away with it, Jeffrey! We are fed up and we are not gonna take it anymore!

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

biznatchio posted:

I love that their official response to the recordings of the calls being released and showing them to be full of poo poo with their slander was "he secretly recorded us, how can we trust him now?"

How can you trust him?

Its extremely weird! Accused him of threats, the Apollo dev released the recording to disprove what were basically extortion allegations, then spez lost his poo poo over the recording being released, totally ignoring the disproven accusations.

I don't even interact with Reddit beyond it being the one thing left in Google searches on most topics that is not SEO spam, but this meltdown is so morbidly fascinating. All tech CEOs are insane.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

cum calamity posted:

Its extremely weird! Accused him of threats, the Apollo dev released the recording to disprove what were basically extortion allegations, then spez lost his poo poo over the recording being released, totally ignoring the disproven accusations.

I don't even interact with Reddit beyond it being the one thing left in Google searches on most topics that is not SEO spam, but this meltdown is so morbidly fascinating. All tech CEOs are insane.

In the past, this guy has been caught editing other user posts more than once when he got irked people weren't agreeing hard with him on whatever subject. Tech CEOs are all apparently gigantic narcissist gaslighters.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

Who the gently caress uses an app to browse specific websites instead of just safari/chrome which is basically a replication of the desktop browser

like what

They appear to be A/B testing removing access to it via mobile altogether.

The future is their lovely app, they’re doing a TikTok.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

UncleBlazer posted:

Seems like a sound strategy from a financial point of view. The only place where tech literate users like redditors still see ads is probably in propitiatory apps.

It works for Twitter though because their app is genuinely good and improves on the experience. I hear the reddit app is just garbage.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

"Now if you'll excuse me, it's 8 O'clock, Time to get Bizzay"

This is my first post here in a decade, feels like coming home.

...also Jesus Christ am I old.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Can you guess which sub the reddit CEO modded back in the day?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

What the gently caress is reddit

I thnk i deserve a loving answer

A website that is used within google to put “Reddit” at the end of a search to get an answer from that godforsaken trash of a search engine.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jeremys Iron posted:

Why would you even leave? We have been worried sick

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
It’s baffling that to get their piece of the pie back Reddit didn’t just… only allow third party apps for premium users? Surely that’s more straightforward than this stupid usage based billing fight.

Not allowing third party tools to access NSFW content even if they do jump through all these stupid hoops now is also Very Dumb.

Spez used to moderate r/jailbait back in the day, which has to move him at least a few spots up the dumb creepy tech CEO leaderboard.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

UncleBlazer posted:

No, that’s not happening lmao. What are you even talking about

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Jeremys Iron posted:

...also Jesus Christ am I old.

We're all ancient here.
How old is the reference in your username...?

Spell_blade
Apr 8, 2009

Me lol I was a lurker before tho.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Somebody murder the internet and burn the servers to ashes, it's the only way to be sure.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

is this that same CEO that bagged the tennis player?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Me - back in 2019 iirc

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Visited Fark for the first time in 12 years this morning. Weird feeling, like Web 2.0 was still in its early days

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Well, I’m back. Does this place have search in the Awful app yet?

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Parsley posted:

is this that same CEO that bagged the tennis player?

No that was the other co-founder, this one is the doomsday prepper who thinks he'd lead humanity out of the apocalypse.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Spez used to moderate r/jailbait back in the day, which has to move him at least a few spots up the dumb creepy tech CEO leaderboard.

Ofc he did, jesus loving christ.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Reddit is such a genius idea.

Let's take a forum, right? Now, let's add multiple threads within a thread, Usenet style. Now let's add up and down votes, to allow the things to naturally get pushed to the top, and other things buried, not based on reasoning, accuracy, or validity, but based on how many people hit the up or down arrow.

Now, everyone knows how it gets weird when subforums on a forum develop their own sort of clique, it ends up being super culty, and you get a very "us v them" thing going, and only strong admin overview stops it getting bad, like some mods going "sure, as long as the jailbait isn't actually*illegal* wink (PS send me the illegal ones" which is what a lot of awful people with power end up doing on the internet.

So to solve that any user can make their own subforum, moderate it, close it off to anyone they don't specifically allow (it is private and all) and we won't have any admin overview at all.

This is a great idea. Nothing can go wrong, and it sounds amazing.

Snord
Mar 5, 2002

We hugged it out, but I was still a little angry.

Hey.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

cum calamity posted:

Also went on record before the AMA where people were already pissed at him over that about how he sees user content as something to monetize for AI datasets, so...

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

What's her name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

syntaxfunction posted:

Reddit is such a genius idea.

Let's take a forum, right? Now, let's add multiple threads within a thread, Usenet style. Now let's add up and down votes, to allow the things to naturally get pushed to the top, and other things buried, not based on reasoning, accuracy, or validity, but based on how many people hit the up or down arrow.

Now, everyone knows how it gets weird when subforums on a forum develop their own sort of clique, it ends up being super culty, and you get a very "us v them" thing going, and only strong admin overview stops it getting bad, like some mods going "sure, as long as the jailbait isn't actually*illegal* wink (PS send me the illegal ones" which is what a lot of awful people with power end up doing on the internet.

So to solve that any user can make their own subforum, moderate it, close it off to anyone they don't specifically allow (it is private and all) and we won't have any admin overview at all.

This is a great idea. Nothing can go wrong, and it sounds amazing.
I'm a migrant from there, at a point I just had enough.

The upvote/downvote thing both being the thing that sets it apart from standard 2000s-era vBulletin forums like this one, as well as the most abused function across the whole thing, makes it such a frustrating site to use. I personally wouldn't mind using a site that had a button next to every post like "this guy has a passable personality" versus "this guy is a weapons-grade, first-edition ballbag" but it has to be set out as that from the beginning. You need to educate your users on what it's for, and have a way of making sure it doesn't get abused. Burying someones' post isn't about it being on-topic or anything like that, it's essentially a button for "I personally don't want to see this content and that's all that matters" or "I like this content but I don't like the guy that posted it".

At some point it's like the monkeys and typewriters thing - the same references are being made all the time, then the same references to those references, then there's an internet fight and the circle loops itself off. I think I've seen more sex questions on AskReddit than the rest of the internet put together.