Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I know it's not, but at a glance that looks like a hospital bed and it just fits the whole scene. :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
"Vocaloid" sounds like a slur, ya know?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

"Vocaloid" sounds like a slur, ya know?

Take that Vocaloid poo poo to Vulcan!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I know it's not, but at a glance that looks like a hospital bed and it just fits the whole scene. :discourse:

I thought it was a hospital room

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am increasingly convinced the Something Awful Forums will outlast literally every other attempt to create online conversations

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

when the dust settles, the only websites remaining will be somethingawful, fark, and the bodybuilding forum

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am increasingly convinced the Something Awful Forums will outlast literally every other attempt to create online conversations

we beat lue, anything's possible

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 15, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!
It's us. We are the roach. We were the Y2k bug all along!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

It's us. We are the roach. We were the Y2k bug all along!
Twinkies, roaches and something awful dot calm

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

As someone who never used Reddit aside from occasionally getting there by a search, it is pretty remarkable how they appear to be speedrunning the enshittification process.

Reddit removes years of chat and message archives from users' accounts

"The Reddit blackout protests didn't quite force the company to reverse course on its API changes that resulted in the shutdown of many popular third-party apps, but it did succeed in dominating the conversation around the platform for weeks.

However, while everyone was paying attention to the protests, Reddit made some other big changes to its platform. One of those changes resulted in the removal of years of users' private conversations on the platform."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/reddit-removes-years-of-chat-and-message-archives-from-users-accounts/ar-AA1dSk22

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Part of their announcement about getting rid of awards includes getting rid of "coins". Seems obvious to explain, but there were a virtual currency that somehow had less functionally than cyrpto. You could only spend them on reddit awards, to buy stickers for posts you liked.

The coins are going away. The awards are going away. No refunds.

This lead to this post. For context you could buy 500 coins for $1.99, but there were packs like $99.99 for 40,000. I'm not great at math, but it looks liked one users paid for about $250 of reddit circle jerking

This also means the future of the vip paid for subforum /r/lounge is up in the air. Maybe it'll turn into the home base for their new paid posters in their "contributor program"

On one hand, how smug can we be here, having paid the :10bux: - but then again I didn't pay a weeks worth of federal minimum wage on banana stickers for internet rear end pats.

I'm probably not above being enticed by the idea of getting paid to shitpost though.

Busters fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 15, 2023

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Quackles posted:

A Vocaloid is a Japanese singing-voice synthesizer program, that uses voice samples from a real singer to create a 'virtual singer'. Similar to how digital audio workstation software can act as a 'virtual orchestra', the Vocaloid will sing whatever (Japanese) lyrics you ask of it.
(This has nothing to do with and in fact predates the current AI boom.)

Because this is Japan, the most famous Vocaloid voices have their own characters attached, such as Miku Hatsune, the anime girl in the attached video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=widZEAJc0QM

Not as good as the metal version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LfT5qJH2zc

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

The Grimace posted:

Just hanging out with my Hatsune Miku real doll. Don't judge

https://imgur.com/cNSF7xb

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I paid for the Alien Blue app once, and that got me four years of Reddit Gold in 2016 when Reddit bought it and shut it down. I think that gave me monthly coins which I never once spent.

So, apparently I have 22,700 coins that will now be officially worthless, rather than de facto worthless.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
Buying Reddit coins is/was such a waste. Just imagine all the Goldbelly you could buy with that money.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Just an FYI: the "Hide" function on Reddit posts looks like it was finally restored, today.

e: posted, removed because wrong thread, realized it wasn't wrong thread, reposting.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 15, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

getting rid of the coins and telling the idiots who bought them to go gently caress themselves is probably the only good decision reddit has ever made

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
why
(pinch bridge of nose)
why would you pay money for Reddit coins? I had a bunch of them left over when I deleted my account, entirely gifted from some kind of post awarding/boosting. But I never bothered to even find out wtf they were for much less use them. People paid actual legal tender for them??

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Steam does the Reddit Award thing way better than Reddit does. You don't buy points, you get them as part of every game purchase you make, and you use them for trolling people by like putting gifs of a clown laughing at them on their reviews and stuff like that.

Reddit could have made way more money if they let people pay to point out how bad a post is, instead of how good it is.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Serious_Cyclone posted:

why
(pinch bridge of nose)
why would you pay money for Reddit coins? I had a bunch of them left over when I deleted my account, entirely gifted from some kind of post awarding/boosting. But I never bothered to even find out wtf they were for much less use them. People paid actual legal tender for them??

I once saw a guy who bought counts to give "defeated" awards for people he was arguing with. According to his profile he paid for like a decade of reddit server time from his purchases.

Edit:

deep dish peat moss posted:

Steam does the Reddit Award thing way better than Reddit does. You don't buy points, you get them as part of every game purchase you make, and you use them for trolling people by like putting gifs of a clown laughing at them on their reviews and stuff like that.

Reddit could have made way more money if they let people pay to point out how bad a post is, instead of how good it is.

You could! See above. It's just that this was too cringe even to most redditors. The guy I mentioned above got cyberbullied off the platform when he became the subject of a SubredditDrama post.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 15, 2023

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Further Reading posted:

I once saw a guy who bought counts to give "defeated" awards for people he was arguing with. According to his profile he paid for like a decade of reddit server time from his purchases.

absolutely incredible energy

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Further Reading posted:

You probably stumbled upon Elon's reddit account

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

deep dish peat moss posted:

Oh is that what that crap was for on steam. I spent a few minutes looking into it the first time I got award stuff on steam, decided it was far to confusing and seemingly pretty worthless so have just been ignoring it all ever since. There was like a market place and series of stuff and you could split groups of cards to buy gems or something.

I dunno lt all felt like the product of an executive who had far, far to much time on their hands. I assume that's most of the executives at steam.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
You can also spend the steam points for cute emoticons and background wallpapers and stuff like that. It's, again, far better and more versatile than Reddit's system.

Except I don't really use Steam for much but to play games so, ymmv

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

redshirt posted:

I enjoy foreign music for this reason. I have little idea what they are saying, but their voice as an instrument can be awesome.

i'm kinda obsessed with the stuff yoko kanno would write that was in an imaginary language for this reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUJBQfPKQqA

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/18/23799266/reddit-app-icons-ugly

quote:

Reddits only free iOS app icons are ugly now / If you want a better one, you can pay for Reddits premium subscription

If youre not a fan of the new pixelated Reddit icon on your iPhone, I have some bad news: unless you want to switch to an icon themed around the Dogecoin dog or WallStreetBets, youll have to subscribe to Reddit Premium to be able to use an icon that just features the regular Reddit logo.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
That looks really desperate and emblematic of enshitification. Purposely making something worse to sell a feature that previously was standard.

When is reddit going to implement the Jewel system like nearly every free-to-start game where you can only make 5 posts until a cooldown timer elapses or you pay a certain amount of funbux.

Hell. Why stop there. Put plain text ads within user posts. Something shilling for a company making it seem like the poster is shilling and that you have to pay to remove. Dont want people to think you are an ~°*influencer*°~ for, I don't know - hunting penguins for their pelts, better pay for reddit premium.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
"The poo poo is like a motherfuckin drug
that all goes away if i pull the fuckin plug
put your faith in something on which you can depend
never use the internet again"

I'm sure homeboy sandman would welcome never using reddit again as a start

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

"The poo poo is like a motherfuckin drug
that all goes away if i pull the fuckin plug
put your faith in something on which you can depend
never use the internet again"

I'm sure homeboy sandman would welcome never using reddit again as a start

Hey, post some sweet tunes featuring the Rhodes organ please.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Literally A Person posted:

Hey, post some sweet tunes featuring the Rhodes organ please.

i'm more into the wurlitzer 200 now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaibBf17e0Q

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Houle posted:

That looks really desperate and emblematic of enshitification. Purposely making something worse to sell a feature that previously was standard.

When is reddit going to implement the Jewel system like nearly every free-to-start game where you can only make 5 posts until a cooldown timer elapses or you pay a certain amount of funbux.

Hell. Why stop there. Put plain text ads within user posts. Something shilling for a company making it seem like the poster is shilling and that you have to pay to remove. Dont want people to think you are an ~°*influencer*°~ for, I don't know - hunting penguins for their pelts, better pay for reddit premium.

Posted from my iPhone.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I was one of the few who thought I could tolerate the official app but the lack of ability to turn off reply notifications like rif makes me regret posting anything once the Reddit know-it-alls show up. Currently being told it's impossible to feel cold through double pane windows while freezing my rear end off in southern hemisphere winter.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
You gotta close the window.

peachy...
Jan 15, 2020

~hey~
Is Reddit back to business-as-usual only somehow worse? I can't imagine all the stuff that's gone on would have had a big impact

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

peachy... posted:

Is Reddit back to business-as-usual only somehow worse? I can't imagine all the stuff that's gone on would have had a big impact

There's no noticeable difference.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I was one of the few who thought I could tolerate the official app but the lack of ability to turn off reply notifications like rif makes me regret posting anything once the Reddit know-it-alls show up. Currently being told it's impossible to feel cold through double pane windows while freezing my rear end off in southern hemisphere winter.

lol ask them to explain windows in planes

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

There's no noticeable difference.

So, to be clear, continuing to post on, use, promote and draw attention to the platform as a form of protest has no perceptible effect on anything and that people who use reddit, and that includes all of you who came running back here and are still using reddit even after saying you wouldn't or couldn't, will accept basically any level of abuse, is that right? Same as Twitter, where basically everybody is still posting there daily in spite of it being an unbelievable cesspool? That you may have to actually fully abandon a platform en masse, that is what's necessary?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People who post all day simply have to believe that posting is Important

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I use reddit waaaaay less. Not zero, but maybe 30 minutes a day compared to the hours I'd spend on RIF. It was an incredibly well designed app, it's too bad it was designed to be reddit.

I replaced reddit with Slay The Spire so I can still get mad at my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

So, to be clear, continuing to post on, use, promote and draw attention to the platform as a form of protest has no perceptible effect on anything and that people who use reddit, and that includes all of you who came running back here and are still using reddit even after saying you wouldn't or couldn't, will accept basically any level of abuse, is that right? Same as Twitter, where basically everybody is still posting there daily in spite of it being an unbelievable cesspool? That you may have to actually fully abandon a platform en masse, that is what's necessary?

I uninstalled Twitter, first off. I don't have numbers but I bet the "said they'll quit" to "actually quit" ratio for Twitter is better than most other quitting threats in internet history.

Reddit hasn't changed for what I use it for (news aggregator, human-based wiki of random questions). I don't post and don't read comments short of what I need to, so I don't know or care how the "community" is.

An API change isn't something people can easily grok. I tried explaining it to people who aren't terminally online and their eyes glazed over. "So you just have to use the official app? Doesn't seem that bad." People already use the official apps to deal with whatever social media platform(s) they have on their phone, so it's hard for them to see the problem. Hell I use Reddit so infrequently that I didn't even know there were third party apps for it until this blew up.

And you're absolutely correct, using Reddit to... own Reddit? Doesn't seem hard to understand why that strategy failed.