Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

neato burrito posted:

I use reddit waaaaay less. Not zero, but maybe 30 minutes a day compared to the hours I'd spend on RIF. It was an incredibly well designed app, it's too bad it was designed to be reddit.

Same for me. I just added a few dozen extra SA threads to my bookmarks and browse here instead of reddit when on my phone. I'll still browse when I'm at my PC but it is already much less than before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons
I have only viewed a reddit page once since the API change, and that was to find a pirate stream for Taskmaster.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm one of those that'll stop. I'm just not that bothered about reddit, so the annoyance of not having a decent app to browse it whilst making GBS threads will exceed the annoyance of not having it at all.

Held to this. The only time I've ended up on the site have been due to google results in my desktop browser. Can't say I miss it, Instagram is a lot better at showing me satisfying videos of mechanical things.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Heath posted:

So, to be clear, continuing to post on, use, promote and draw attention to the platform as a form of protest has no perceptible effect on anything and that people who use reddit, and that includes all of you who came running back here and are still using reddit even after saying you wouldn't or couldn't, will accept basically any level of abuse, is that right? Same as Twitter, where basically everybody is still posting there daily in spite of it being an unbelievable cesspool? That you may have to actually fully abandon a platform en masse, that is what's necessary?

I just open a random Reddit thread from time to time if it looks like it may contain some usual information, I don't give a poo poo about the politics behind its creation and the "abuse" professional redditors suffer because they can't use an app :shrug:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I've never experienced abused by reddit imo

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Tiny Timbs posted:

People who post all day simply have to believe that posting is Important

I wish we could sticky this in all forums

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Tiny Timbs posted:

People who post all day simply have to believe that posting is Important

i am posting all day precisely bc it isn't important

you think i want to be doing important poo poo, which takes effort and makes me have to face myself and my own limitations?

hell no. post forever. think never.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I've mostly stopped using reddit. /r/pathfinder2e was the main sub that I missed, and they are moving to discourse, which works fine for me.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I’ve stopped except for r/jobs, r/recruitinghell, and industry specific subs because NPR saying booming economy isn’t matching with my experience. Haven’t found the equivalent here.

I’m noticeably less angry now that I haven’t seen the words “virtue signaling” for at least month.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there's a word replacement filter active on SA that replaces "virtue signaling" with "tugging", so keep an eye out for that and report it when you see it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Purchase posted:

there's a word replacement filter active on SA that replaces "tugging" with "tugging", so keep an eye out for that and report it when you see it

Yeah it really gently caresses search results.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Bad Purchase posted:

there's a word replacement filter active on SA that replaces "virtue signaling" with "tugging", so keep an eye out for that and report it when you see it

I didn't think word filters were in place for logged in accounts?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

you have been taken for a fast one

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

No, except for the one that replaces your password with asterisks if you accidentally put it into a post.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

peachy... posted:

Is Reddit back to business-as-usual only somehow worse? I can't imagine all the stuff that's gone on would have had a big impact

People are using r/place, the yearly community-driven one-pixel-at-a-time mural thing Reddit does now every summer to just basically fill the whole thing up with "gently caress you spez" graffiti over and over again, so things are going great.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

nine-gear crow posted:

People are using r/place, the yearly community-driven one-pixel-at-a-time mural thing Reddit does now every summer to just basically fill the whole thing up with "gently caress you spez" graffiti over and over again, so things are going great.

Surely Spez is hurt by all the extra engagement!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Just took a look and somebody is changing the "r/save3rdpartyapps" section to "r/save3rdfartyapps"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Between losing Twitter and Reddit, honestly hard to keep up with some niche topics. So I do still have bookmarks to a couple of subreddits but I am not logged in. I am not installing their app.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I have that ‘Dystopia’ iPhone app that’s still working (and free). It’s fine, nowhere near as good as Apollo, but for the bits of Reddit that are still worth it it’s fine.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

smoobles posted:

I can't believe they did it. they loving killed reddit

Lick Joe
Sep 30, 2000
Forum Veteran

withoutclass posted:

Surely Spez is hurt by all the extra engagement!

The extra Alanis Morissetty part of the whole thing is that Reddit figured out a way to transform their biggest haters into an emergency boost for their July engagement numbers, some of which I suspect were not looking great.

There are people organizing anti-Reddit "brigades" in Discord & Lemmy for r/Place, so every five minutes they can click a pixel to make it say "gently caress spez" or whatever, oh and also ensure sure that Reddit's MDAU hits another all-time high like the last time they rolled this out.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Lick Joe posted:

The extra Alanis Morissetty part of the whole thing is that Reddit figured out a way to transform their biggest haters into an emergency boost for their July engagement numbers, some of which I suspect were not looking great.

There are people organizing anti-Reddit "brigades" in Discord & Lemmy for r/Place, so every five minutes they can click a pixel to make it say "gently caress spez" or whatever, oh and also ensure sure that Reddit's MDAU hits another all-time high like the last time they rolled this out.

That's called a Goon Rush, something else we invented.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Lick Joe posted:

The hype can't last more than a few weeks though - unless Reddit is about to IPO in the next month or two, surely it's going to look worse when it crashes from this peak?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

"The private for profit company ive freely volunteered my time and effort to is mistreating me"

- reddit mods

Lick Joe
Sep 30, 2000
Forum Veteran

dervival posted:

The hype can't last more than a few weeks though - unless Reddit is about to IPO in the next month or two, surely it's going to look worse when it crashes from this peak?

Maybe? I think there are a couple dynamics in play:

• "like all blowups on Reddit, this one will pass as well", as Steve Huffman said. Internet people like a varied and novel outrage diet, and I have a hard time believing that average Redditors will continue to be outraged over a two month old API decision.

• "Next month's problems are next month's problems, we'll figure something else out by then." I suspect they have some other popular sitewide events they could roll out if necessary to keep things moving.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Bonzo posted:

That's called a Goon Rush, something else we invented.

Pretty sure it's called being slashdotted

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I’m gettin farked

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Lick Joe posted:

Maybe? I think there are a couple dynamics in play:

• "like all blowups on Reddit, this one will pass as well", as Steve Huffman said. Internet people like a varied and novel outrage diet, and I have a hard time believing that average Redditors will continue to be outraged over a two month old API decision.

• "Next month's problems are next month's problems, we'll figure something else out by then." I suspect they have some other popular sitewide events they could roll out if necessary to keep things moving.

The real long-term problem is the moderators leaving, right?
So the content will become fuckier over time.

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games

Quackles posted:

The real long-term problem is the moderators leaving, right?
So the content will become fuckier over time.

The IPO owners will surely have moved on by then. It'll just be regular 401k owners whose diversified index funds will grow more slowly when Reddit finally shits the bed.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I think reddit making GBS threads the bed

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
making GBS threads the bed, but it's a waterbed and already filled from the bedpans of a dysentery ward

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games
Worked out for me, I just came back here

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

All I use reddit for are a few video game subreddits and various ones for cute animal pictures and those spaces are all quite well moderated

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

r/automower still sticking it in reddit's eye by continuing to flag itself as nsfw

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
R/antiwork took over my feed. Every other post was a noupvote no comment repost.

I unjoined it, which I can only assume was the point.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

RIF now returning "Forbidden", even when logged out. :smith:

Also: https://gizmodo.com/reddit-news-blackout-protest-is-finally-over-reddit-won-1850707509

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
Ever since RIF stopped working, I've just been off Reddit on my phone. It's been nice.

I installed the Reddit app because I'm staying with my parents and bored as hell. I admit, I thought people were overreacting about how bad the app is but it really is terrible. The order of threads seems to be random when you refresh which is annoying. All of the subreddit highlights are annoying, redundant, take up prime real estate above the fold, and I can't figure out how to turn them off. Every time I load a subreddit it asks me to turn on notifications.

I look forward to uninstalling it.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

biznatchio posted:

No, except for the one that replaces your password with asterisks if you accidentally put it into a post.

hunter2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I put on my robe and wizard hat