Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ingenium posted:

Imagine being one of those old folks sitting on their porch staring at the road in silence for hours everyday.

We used to count out of state license plates for entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tragicomic posted:

I guess I'll be trying SA again for lurking, but I did like having access to writers in the print science fiction forum or having tiny forums for tiny sci fi series

One of the writers of The Expanse series of novels would post from time to time in The Expanse sub. That's pretty cool.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

there are several zombie apocalypse reddits that are non stop “what sword would you use I’d use a katana” posts again and again, the same three questions

I made some posts with real world advice on how to survive after civilization collapses, stuff like where to get water to drink, shelter, the fact that you mostly want to avoid zombies and other survivors who could be dangerous

I got downvoted like crazy because it wasn’t fun to think about the reality of survival, they just wanted to type the word KATANA over and over

So what sword would be the best???

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dervival posted:

zombies can't bite through denim jeans

That's why I keep my 80's jean jacket in the bug out bag.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LOXO

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

big black turnout posted:

What the gently caress is aja

Ja worship sect.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

Just in awe of us having a reasonable conversation without updoots or nested comments, fuckin wild hey.

Hello there

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

Do you like Star Trek?

Yes and no! I love DS9 and TNG, feel middling about VOY, TOS is so old but it's the source, Enterprise was....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

Yeah same. Any planning initiatives or property developments in your town you want to complain about?

Hoo boy don't get me started. They've been working on the main road for 3 years now, it goes on and on, and they've put this speed curbing embankment which has the town chattering.

You?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gell-Mann Amnesia sounds like a sweet 70's Prog Rock Band.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

The regional train system is spending billions to tunnel under the river instead of creating greater connectivity on the outer network. Fares remain exorbitantantly high and the whole system still operates at a deficit.

Meanwhile our mayors office just called public housing "Stalinist".

Excellent.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

Wizard Master always has to throw a little edge lord political bait on it:

How do you feel about the recent push for more walkable cities? Do you think this is a fad or something being used to control us like cattle

I believe urban folks should live in beecomb like tower hives, densely packed, generating their own heat and honey.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Cassandra inhaling fumes and giving out weird-rear end prophecies.

She was Greek

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Heath posted:

Roman fits the meter better. She's roman now

Fuckin Romans....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Gotta do something on my laptop while our CEO prattles on in a meeting about how we’re “at war with the competition” and “need a warrior mentality”.

WE WILL TAKE THAT ISLAND OR WE WILL DIE!!!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

The urban planning stuff is super interesting. If you're feeling up to it, you all should start an A/T thread on it

Relatedly, I think a lot about a space ship mission to Callisto, and many missions later, an orbit and surface presence on/above Callisto. Like, I think about this deeply and would love to discuss it in minutae.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lyrics will often disappoint you. Better not to know.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

wooger posted:

I find pretty much all lyrics to be embarrassingly bad schoolboy level poetry.

It’s great to listen to death metal, where it’s easier to consider the voice like any other instrument and ignore the lyrical meaning because you can’t work out what they’re growling much of the time anyway.

I enjoy foreign music for this reason. I have little idea what they are saying, but their voice as an instrument can be awesome.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LOL. Those Dutch.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

I feel this exact way and I'm having one of those weird "oh my god it's not just me" moments, so thanks

I have hours and hours of foreign music that I love and I have no idea what they are saying. It's great!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Quackles posted:

IMO, this is why Vocaloids work.

?? what are vocaloids?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Quackles posted:

A Vocaloid is a Japanese singing-voice synthesizer program, that uses voice samples from a real singer to create a 'virtual singer'. Similar to how digital audio workstation software can act as a 'virtual orchestra', the Vocaloid will sing whatever (Japanese) lyrics you ask of it.
(This has nothing to do with and in fact predates the current AI boom.)

Because this is Japan, the most famous Vocaloid voices have their own characters attached, such as Miku Hatsune, the anime girl in the attached video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=widZEAJc0QM
I see.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WHAT I GOT YOU GOT TO GET AND PUT IT IN YOU!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

What I’d like, is I’d like to hug and kiss you

That's much nicer.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

"Vocaloid" sounds like a slur, ya know?

Take that Vocaloid poo poo to Vulcan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

People sharing screenshots of funny convos and comments from discord is this generation's bash.org

Thankfully I've never been funny