Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IIRC Lowtax turned down a 20 million dollar offer for the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MonkeyHate posted:

There’s like one weird niche thing I’m accidentally an expert on. A family friend is the man who ran a huge project to revitalize a tourist attraction. A tourist attraction that gets criticized by locals for being designed the way it is.

Here’s the thing - it was designed by a huge team of professionals who do this for a living. People with phds in urban planning who now run research centers and head up architecture, urban planning and real estate colleges. It was a big prestige project and there were no shortage of experts who wanted to donate their time. Every decision was agonized over and empirically tested whenever possible.

For a while, when reddit people started up with their complaining I’d try to reply with the reasons things had to be the way they are and I’d get downvoted to oblivion. Meanwhile every know-nothing in the city would post the exact same “suggestion” for how to “fix” things, which is a thing that science says won’t work. Which is a thing that was tried like 15 years ago due to public pressure and sure enough it was a disaster.

I have access to studies to show all this and yet nobody there will hear it. A primary source for how and why these choices were made. No interest in that. Vote it down to the bottom. Instead, the upvoted comments are just a bunch of confident idiots racing to pat each other on the back for repeating the same ignorant poo poo. I stopped trying long ago.

Anyhoo I suspect most any specialized-knowledge topic you could imagine has the same problem so gently caress that place in the shitter.

Sorry man fastpass still sucks

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Houle posted:

That looks really desperate and emblematic of enshitification. Purposely making something worse to sell a feature that previously was standard.

When is reddit going to implement the Jewel system like nearly every free-to-start game where you can only make 5 posts until a cooldown timer elapses or you pay a certain amount of funbux.

Hell. Why stop there. Put plain text ads within user posts. Something shilling for a company making it seem like the poster is shilling and that you have to pay to remove. Dont want people to think you are an ~°*influencer*°~ for, I don't know - hunting penguins for their pelts, better pay for reddit premium.

Posted from my iPhone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Purchase posted:

there's a word replacement filter active on SA that replaces "tugging" with "tugging", so keep an eye out for that and report it when you see it

Yeah it really gently caresses search results.