Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

was it the jab that killed big ted?

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

grats

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

He hated these people so much and the rest of his life after going to jail was just entertaining nonstop pilgrimages from them for years and years

A hell of his own creation

lmao hoist by your own petard teddy boy

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

croup coughfield posted:

ted was right that the left is a bunch of whiny homos

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

Hatebag posted:

No, you said the brother was worse than ted which means you think calling the cops is worse than blowing a janitor's dick and balls off with a pube bomb. A controversial opinion, to be sure

i stand by this. deal with family stuff on your own, even if you need a shovel

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

My brother called the cops on me but I never hated him. I said thank you for your service.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
well i finished reading it.

ted gets a laugh-out-loud line when he uncharacteristically dives into casual sarcasm:

quote:

195. The revolution must be international and worldwide. It cannot be carried out on a nation-by-nation basis. Whenever it is suggested that the United States, for example, should cut back on technological progress or economic growth, people get hysterical and start screaming that if we fall behind in technology the Japanese will get ahead of us. Holy robots! The world will fly off its orbit if the Japanese ever sell more cars than we do!

he'd get fuckin cooked in a debate with modern internet-powered tankies:

quote:

It might even be argued that an industrial system controlled by dictators would be preferable, because dictator-controlled systems usually have proved inefficient, hence they are presumably more likely to break down. Look at Cuba.

quote:

182. It will be objected that the French and Russian Revolutions were failures. But most revolutions have two goals. One is to destroy an old form of society and the other is to set up the new form of society envisioned by the revolutionaries. The French and Russian revolutionaries failed (fortunately!) to create the new kind of society of which they dreamed, but they were quite successful in destroying the old society

i was definitely not expecting it to end with a barnstorming call for worldwide revolution against the industrial-technological society, and then to have a second directionless ending where kaczynski bitches and moans about how leftists want to ban booze, smoking, and spanking children

quote:

The activists will never be satisfied until tobacco is outlawed, and after that it will be alcohol, then junk food, etc. Activists have fought gross child abuse, which is reasonable. But now they want to stop all spanking. When they have done that they will want to ban something else they consider unwholesome, then another thing and then another. They will never be satisfied until they have complete control over all child rearing practices. And then they will move on to another cause.

220. Suppose you asked leftists to make a list of ALL the things that were wrong with society, and then suppose you instituted EVERY social change that they demanded. It is safe to say that within a couple of years the majority of leftists would find something new to complain about, some new social evil to correct because, once again, the leftist is motivated less by distress at societys ills than by the need to satisfy his drive for power by imposing his solutions on society.

quote:

223. Some readers may say, This stuff about leftism is a lot of crap.

kaczysnki finishes his historic essay, not with a call for humanity to unite against the sinister technological forces that are enslaving them, but with a call for historians to figure out what the hell is wrong with leftists

quote:

Identification with victims by people not themselves victims can be seen to some extent in 19th century leftism and early Christianity but as far as we can make out, symptoms of low self-esteem, etc., were not nearly so evident in these movements, or in any other movements, as they are in modern leftism. But we are not in a position to assert confidently that no such movements have existed prior to modern leftism. This is a significant question to which historians ought to give their attention.

i once saw an SA post that noted that if you find-replaced every instance of "leftist" in the manifesto with "liberal," cspam would've lost its mind hootin and hollerin over kaczysnki

overall it's quite the document, but it ends in about the wimpiest way possible. not exactly "workers of the world unite"

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 96 days!
appreciate your hard work here finding and posting all the problematic bits written by a guy who lived in the woods and mailed bombs to people so theyd stop watching tv

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Woke Mind Virus posted:

My brother called the cops on me but I never hated him. I said thank you for your service.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Aglet56 posted:

well i finished reading it.

ted gets a laugh-out-loud line when he uncharacteristically dives into casual sarcasm:

he'd get fuckin cooked in a debate with modern internet-powered tankies:

i was definitely not expecting it to end with a barnstorming call for worldwide revolution against the industrial-technological society, and then to have a second directionless ending where kaczynski bitches and moans about how leftists want to ban booze, smoking, and spanking children

kaczysnki finishes his historic essay, not with a call for humanity to unite against the sinister technological forces that are enslaving them, but with a call for historians to figure out what the hell is wrong with leftists

i once saw an SA post that noted that if you find-replaced every instance of "leftist" in the manifesto with "liberal," cspam would've lost its mind hootin and hollerin over kaczysnki

overall it's quite the document, but it ends in about the wimpiest way possible. not exactly "workers of the world unite"

he did he say anything about age of concent laws or is he a half assed libertarian

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I haven't read it I'm waiting for the audible

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

croup coughfield posted:

appreciate your hard work here finding and posting all the problematic bits written by a guy who lived in the woods and mailed bombs to people so theyd stop watching tv

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1668635210450194434

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

unabomber??? I hardly know'er!!!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Just a Moron posted:

Regardless of what you think about the unabomber and manifesto as a whole, you have to admit "The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race" is a real banger of an opening sentence

its a superficial commonplace c-

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

teddy shoulda stuck to math

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
the treatise of a man who grew up socially isolated with untreated mental illness and was tortured for years by teams of cia agents feels incoherent for some reason

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

how did the other cia mind control torture victims turn out anyway

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wheeee posted:

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1668616178749825025

not well, apparently

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i dont like the unabomber manifesto. but i do like final fantasy 7.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Wheeee posted:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Mia Wasikowska posted:

its a superficial commonplace c-

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Colonel Cancer posted:

So he wanted to stop industrial society but he used the tools of industrial society, how curious. What a hypocrite, should have mailed big rocks instead lol.

Please deliver to Berkeley, Engineering Deparment, On Top of Slightly Ajar Door

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
kaczysnki died of a broken heart after losing his loving life partner (robert hanssen)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Aglet56 posted:

what is your take on the unabomber? what was his deal? did the nyt and wapo do the right thing by publishing the manifesto at the threat of future bombings?

If you're interested, here's a YouTube recreation of his piece known as "Ship of Fools": https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ-Upb4Szms&pp=ygUTc2hpcCBvZiBmb29scyB0ZWQgaw%3D%3D

His acts were reprehensible, but if you want to understand his perspective, then you need to review more of his work.

He also never cited his sources, which is truly his worst crime.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Aglet56 posted:

historians will eventually figure what the hell is wrong with all of us in cspam one day

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Hubbert posted:

historians will eventually figure what the hell is wrong with all of us in cspam one day

Some egghead running down the stairs in the Epic Bacon wing of Musk Memorial University waving a dissertation paper in hand triumphantly yelling "they were gay! Theyre all loving gay" over and over again

Kedzie
Dec 13, 2004

they all float down here
The police sketch artist dropped an all-time banger when they drew this dude. For that, I tip my cap to you, Ted.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Kedzie posted:

The police sketch artist dropped an all-time banger when they drew this dude. For that, I tip my cap to you, Ted.
ted was just the accidental beneficiary. the sketch artist was the real genius here.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

lol one of the guys who got blown up (non-fatally) was named diogenes

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Ted is propably one of the saddest wankers the world has known.

No wonder leftists admire him.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fish of hemp posted:

Ted is propably one of the saddest wankers the world has known.

No wonder leftists admire him.
maiming a bunch of other nerds was the least inspired move possible.

cant respect it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
He should've organized his workplace

Into also mailing out packages

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

He should've organized his workplace

Into also mailing out packages